Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: 45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

  1. #1
    Advisor Don't Tase Me Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-22-09 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    446

    45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

    Forty-five percent (45%) of Americans say the rest of the new government spending authorized in the $787-billion economic stimulus plan should now be canceled. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that just 36% disagree and 20% are not sure.

    Rasmussen Reports
    Not much of the stimulus money has been spent yet, but regardless, it's not going to matter because the stimulus plan is not a stimulus plan. It is simply a bill stuffed with pork to feed Congressional greed and give kickbacks to special interest groups that helped elect the current Congress.

    Some other highlights from this poll:

    Americans have mixed feelings about whether speeding up the new government spending in the stimulus package will help the economy. Thirty-nine percent (39%) say the increased spending will be good for the economy, but 44% say it will be bad. Eight percent (8%) think it will have no impact.
    and

    Only 31% of U.S. voters believe the economic stimulus package has helped the economy. That's down from 38% when it first passed in February.
    For the first time in years, voters now trust Republicans more than Democrats on the handling of the economy.
    The Democrats must really be screwing the pooch in the eyes of Americans if they are back to trusting the GOP more on the economy, particularly considering that the disaster began under Republican control.

    Most voters predicted that Congress would pass the stimulus plan without knowing what was in it, as many legislators later acknowledged. Sixty percent (60%) also believed the plan was not a bipartisan effort but was instead mostly what congressional Democrats wanted since they control both the House and Senate.
    That 60% ought to be a lot higher. No Republican in the House voted for the stimulus and only three Republicans in the Senate voted for it and one of them has since become a Democrat himself.

    It would seem that the American people are slowly waking up to the fraud that is "hope and change."

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: 45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

    The average American knows nothing about economics, so that 45% doesn't mean much.

  3. #3
    Advisor Don't Tase Me Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-22-09 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    446

    Re: 45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The average American knows nothing about economics, so that 45% doesn't mean much.
    You are correct, they don't know much about economics, but you are wrong in saying that 45% doesn't mean much. They don't have to know what's going on. They vote based on their impression of what is going on and if 45% of the country thinks the stimulus bill sucks that's 45% of the voters that won't be happy with the stimulus authors in the next election.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: 45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

    Well this is why we watch the cable pundits. Who has time to keep up with everything in the news and form an opinion? Our news has to be analyzed for us by people who do have time.

  5. #5
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,555

    Re: 45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The average American knows nothing about economics, so that 45% doesn't mean much.
    Neither does that 36%, so what's your point other than to bash American intelligence?

  6. #6
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: 45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

    The funny thing is that most economists are now saying that the recession is over and we're entering into a stage of jobless recovery that looks like a recession but has some expansion of the economy.

    And something like 15% of the Stimulus has been spent. This is Bush 2001 recession all over again where the recession was declared over by the Governors of the Fed and several key economists and the first tax cut bills had yet to be signed by the president.

    What does that tell us? During a crisis, fix the problem that caused the crisis and then stop.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #7
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: 45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Tase Me Bro View Post
    You are correct, they don't know much about economics, but you are wrong in saying that 45% doesn't mean much. They don't have to know what's going on. They vote based on their impression of what is going on and if 45% of the country thinks the stimulus bill sucks that's 45% of the voters that won't be happy with the stimulus authors in the next election.
    And this is why democracy sucks. The uninformed, uneducated will make decisions that are not always in the best interests of the country. Remember that that hard, necessary decisions are rarely the popular ones. Thus, the uneducated, uninformed who perceive such decisions to be bad will vote against them in election and we'd be worse off in the long run. While I disagree that we should just outright ignore the population, others have made convincing arguments that letting the masses decide policy by electing candidates who disagree will likely lead to poor outcomes, hence why democracy sucks, at least in America.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #8
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,555

    Re: 45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    And this is why democracy sucks. The uninformed, uneducated will make decisions that are not always in the best interests of the country. Remember that that hard, necessary decisions are rarely the popular ones. Thus, the uneducated, uninformed who perceive such decisions to be bad will vote against them in election and we'd be worse off in the long run. While I disagree that we should just outright ignore the population, others have made convincing arguments that letting the masses decide policy by electing candidates who disagree will likely lead to poor outcomes, hence why democracy sucks, at least in America.
    And yet, thousands of citizens died for my vote in 1776. Thanks for saying that, it means something. If you think people should be ruled by the "knowledgeable few", then go to Saudi Arabia.
    Last edited by DarkWizard12; 06-10-09 at 10:58 PM.

  9. #9
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: 45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkWizard12 View Post
    And yet, thousands of citizens died for my vote in 1776. Thanks for saying that, it means something.
    I was not aware that the Americans who lived in 1776 were still alive today and that those who died were as ignorant as we are today. Care to provide evidence of this? After all, the problem with today's democracy is that the voting population is ignorant and uninformed. In the revolutionary times, relatively few had the right to vote and those who did were informed about the issues of the day. Democracy in the founder's day was hardly open to everyone. And in a way that mitigated the problem we face today. We could of course fix this by actually having an educated, informed voting population, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

    If you think people should be ruled by the "knowledgeable few", then go to Saudi Arabia.
    You can do better than that. Try.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #10
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: 45% Say Cancel Rest of Stimulus Spending

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    And something like 15% of the Stimulus has been spent.
    Off by 12%.
    Only 3 percent of stimulus spent so far | csmonitor.com

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    And this is why democracy sucks. The uninformed, uneducated will make decisions that are not always in the best interests of the country. Remember that that hard, necessary decisions are rarely the popular ones. Thus, the uneducated, uninformed who perceive such decisions to be bad will vote against them in election and we'd be worse off in the long run. While I disagree that we should just outright ignore the population, others have made convincing arguments that letting the masses decide policy by electing candidates who disagree will likely lead to poor outcomes, hence why democracy sucks, at least in America.
    An incredibly elitist sentiment. For one thing, most Americans are educated and only need to be minimally informed to make a decision. Anyways, without democracy, the government can do whatever the hell it wants and nobody can say otherwise; even if most people were stupid, and only a select few knew what was best for them, there would be no way to guarantee that that elite would always act in everyone's interest. Plus, how would that elite come to power in the first place? Without democracy the only way to come to power would be through the use of power itself- which is blind to whether one is part of the elite or not.


    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    I was not aware that the Americans who lived in 1776 were still alive today and that those who died were as ignorant as we are today. Care to provide evidence of this? After all, the problem with today's democracy is that the voting population is ignorant and uninformed. In the revolutionary times, relatively few had the right to vote and those who did were informed about the issues of the day. Democracy in the founder's day was hardly open to everyone. And in a way that mitigated the problem we face today. We could of course fix this by actually having an educated, informed voting population, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    Yes, let's go back to the good old days when women and colored people knew their place. After all, they had poor or no education back then, why should they have been able to vote?

    You can do better than that. Try.
    Cuba? The former Soviet Union? Zimbabwe? We could go on all day.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •