Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

  1. #1
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    Why is it a bad thing when one religious groups wants to make laws reflecting their religios views but when some whack jobs who believe in the man made global warming fairy tale its somehow acceptable for them to impose their religious views on everyone else?


    S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    Throwing orange peels, coffee grounds and grease-stained pizza boxes in the trash will be against the law in San Francisco, and could even lead to a fine.

    The Board of Supervisors voted 9-2 Tuesday to approve Mayor Gavin Newsom's proposal for the most comprehensive mandatory composting and recycling law in the country. It's an aggressive push to cut greenhouse gas emissions and have the city sending nothing to landfills or incinerators by 2020.

    "San Francisco has the best recycling and composting programs in the nation," Newsom said, praising the board's vote on a plan that some residents had decried as heavy-handed and impractical. "We can build on our success."

    The ordinance is expected to take effect this fall.

    The legislation calls for every residence and business in the city to have three separate color-coded bins for waste: blue for recycling, green for compost and black for trash.

    Failing to properly sort your refuse could result in a fine after several warnings, but Newsom and other officials say fines will only be levied in the most egregious cases.

    Fines for almost all residential customers and many small businesses - anyone who generates less than a cubic yard of refuse a week - are initially capped at $100. Businesses that don't have proper bins face escalating fines up to $500.

    There is a moratorium on fines until at least July 2011 for tenants and owners of multifamily buildings or multitenant commercial properties to get people used to composting. Buildings where recycling carts won't fit can get a waiver.

    "In any scenario there will be repeated notices and phone calls before we even start talking about fines," said Jared Blumenfeld, head of the city's Department of the Environment. "We don't want to fine people."
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #2
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    Let me get this straight: orange peels are going to be recycled?

    Eewwwww.

  3. #3
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,342
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Let me get this straight: orange peels are going to be recycled?

    Eewwwww.
    Compost I would think.

  4. #4
    Advisor Don't Tase Me Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-22-09 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    446

    Re: S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    The people of San Francisco obviously want this or they wouldn't have voted for these councilmen and this mayor. It's their city. What they do no matter how inane it may be doesn't effect me.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Why is it a bad thing when one religious groups wants to make laws reflecting their religios views but when some whack jobs who believe in the man made global warming fairy tale its somehow acceptable for them to impose their religious views on everyone else?


    S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    Throwing orange peels, coffee grounds and grease-stained pizza boxes in the trash will be against the law in San Francisco, and could even lead to a fine.

    The Board of Supervisors voted 9-2 Tuesday to approve Mayor Gavin Newsom's proposal for the most comprehensive mandatory composting and recycling law in the country. It's an aggressive push to cut greenhouse gas emissions and have the city sending nothing to landfills or incinerators by 2020.

    "San Francisco has the best recycling and composting programs in the nation," Newsom said, praising the board's vote on a plan that some residents had decried as heavy-handed and impractical. "We can build on our success."

    The ordinance is expected to take effect this fall.

    The legislation calls for every residence and business in the city to have three separate color-coded bins for waste: blue for recycling, green for compost and black for trash.

    Failing to properly sort your refuse could result in a fine after several warnings, but Newsom and other officials say fines will only be levied in the most egregious cases.

    Fines for almost all residential customers and many small businesses - anyone who generates less than a cubic yard of refuse a week - are initially capped at $100. Businesses that don't have proper bins face escalating fines up to $500.

    There is a moratorium on fines until at least July 2011 for tenants and owners of multifamily buildings or multitenant commercial properties to get people used to composting. Buildings where recycling carts won't fit can get a waiver.

    "In any scenario there will be repeated notices and phone calls before we even start talking about fines," said Jared Blumenfeld, head of the city's Department of the Environment. "We don't want to fine people."
    All this will mean is that people will have to bribe the trash men more.

    Laws like this are ridiculous and I can't believe they can be legal.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    There are many cities that have organic waste programs. Toronto is one example. All organic waste goes into compost bins that the city picks up weekly, just like they do the trash. The waste goes to compost sites where it breaks down and they later re-sell it as viable fertilizer.

    If it's what SF wants, then I'm not one to judge.

  7. #7
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    The Religious Nut-Wings can have their laws, as soon as they provide empirical evidence that their laws are truth.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    07-18-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    This is one of those "laws" most people will ignore.
    Like the attempted Foie Gras ban in Michigan or the Cell Phone bans while driving in many states.

  9. #9
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Tase Me Bro View Post
    The people of San Francisco obviously want this or they wouldn't have voted for these councilmen and this mayor. It's their city. What they do no matter how inane it may be doesn't effect me.
    Glad you think this is inane as well. I think it is too.

    Yea, the entire city of SF has gone into "the stupid bin". They have untill next elections to redeem themselves.

  10. #10
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: S.F. OKs toughest recycling law in U.S.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Enemy View Post
    The Religious Nut-Wings can have their laws, as soon as they provide empirical evidence that their laws are truth.
    You mean: "The Tree-hugging whackos"? Yea, I agree with that statement too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •