Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 352

Thread: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

  1. #281
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I'm a republican who supports gay marriage, like many other republicans. You can pull whatever platform off the net you want. Doesn't make it anything more than some platform you pulled off the net.

    Libertarians have varying rationales for their arguments. Just like republicans. Just like democrats.

    Jall....you are the rarity in the Republican party. You say you support gay marriage "like many other Republicans".....If you are being honest....you would say "Like a minority of"....
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Libertarians have varying rationales for their arguments. Just like republicans. Just like democrats.
    In that part I think you are right.

    Libertarians don't want the federal government intervening, but have no problem with states doing what they want even if it is wrong.

    Dems and Reps, both don't mind the federal government intervening in cases they agree with.

    Where is the middle? Who is right, who is wrong?

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    In that part I think you are right.

    Libertarians don't want the federal government intervening, but have no problem with states doing what they want even if it is wrong.

    Dems and Reps, both don't mind the federal government intervening in cases they agree with.

    Where is the middle? Who is right, who is wrong?
    I try damned hard to find it.

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-17-11 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I'm a republican who supports gay marriage, like many other republicans. You can pull whatever platform off the net you want. Doesn't make it anything more than some platform you pulled off the net.

    Libertarians have varying rationales for their arguments. Just like republicans. Just like democrats.
    Was that not the official libertarian platform?

    From the top of the provided link:
    National Platform of the Libertarian Party

    Adopted in Convention, May 2008, Denver, Colorado
    I think it was... thus not just any old "some platform."

    You identified libertarians as an anti gay marriage crowd. I believe disneydude was right when he commented that such people are not really libertarians. They are probably just republicans in hiding.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Libertarians don't want the federal government intervening, but have no problem with states doing what they want even if it is wrong.
    Your representation of the libertarian party is not correct. Yes it is true that they support a limited federal government, but that does not mean they in general are OK with anything the states wish to do.
    Last edited by xvz; 06-16-09 at 01:25 AM.

  5. #285
    Advisor wbreese91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Marietta, Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    407

    Re: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

    Quote Originally Posted by xvz View Post
    Was that not the official libertarian platform?

    From the top of the provided link:
    National Platform of the Libertarian Party

    Adopted in Convention, May 2008, Denver, Colorado
    I think it was... thus not just any old "some platform."

    You identified libertarians as an anti gay marriage crowd. I believe disneydude was right when he commented that such people are not really libertarians. They are probably just republicans in hiding.
    Alright really, do you honestly think that every Republican agrees with the Republican platform? I don't. The only platform I believe in 100% is the Constitution, sans ammendments a few of which I have a problem with. Jall is saying not all libertarians agree with this platform even if it is official.
    “Justitia suum cuique distribuit” Justice renders to every one his due

    - Cicero

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I try damned hard to find it.
    So do I, and I while I don't subscribe to the whole Libertarian Ideology, I do find that the federal government has a whole lot of power vs. the states and to that end I don't like it.

    I don't want to say the libertarian movement is right in the whole State vs Federal thing, but I find myself siding with the states needing more power at least.

    I do believe federal powers have their merit, but it seems lately in the last DECADE that the federal government has been either given or taken too much power.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-17-11 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    Alright really, do you honestly think that every Republican agrees with the Republican platform? I don't. The only platform I believe in 100% is the Constitution, sans ammendments a few of which I have a problem with. Jall is saying not all libertarians agree with this platform even if it is official.
    The discussion was about positions opposing gay marriages that were not based on hate or ignorance. Jall cited libertarians, because they oppose the involvement of government in marriage. That is in fact a libertarian position but it is not a position opposing gay marriage. So your object is a failure. But if jall wishes to ride on it.. please provide the non-libertarian position, supported by some libertarians, opposing gay marriage that you find not based on hate or ignorance.

  8. #288
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    So still nothing to support the idea that she wants to repress peoples' rights?
    Didn't think so.
    You can ignore the evidence that she has taken action to repress gay rights all you want. Doesn't mean you're right, it just means you're blind. You might want to examine that.

  9. #289
    Advisor wbreese91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Marietta, Ohio
    Last Seen
    07-08-10 @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    407

    Re: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

    Quote Originally Posted by xvz View Post
    The discussion was about positions opposing gay marriages that were not based on hate or ignorance. Jall cited libertarians, because they oppose the involvement of government in marriage. That is in fact a libertarian position but it is not a position opposing gay marriage. So your object is a failure. But if jall wishes to ride on it.. please provide the non-libertarian position, supported by some libertarians, opposing gay marriage that you find not based on hate or ignorance.
    For God's sake, just because I tend to agree with him most of the time doesn't mean I worship his opinion. Secondly, I don't have to provide a differing libertarian opinion. I was arguing generally that just because a person is a libertarian doesn't mean they have to agree totally with the libertarian platform.
    “Justitia suum cuique distribuit” Justice renders to every one his due

    - Cicero

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-17-11 @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    72

    Re: Carrie Prejean Stripped Of Miss California Title

    Quote Originally Posted by wbreese91 View Post
    For God's sake, just because I tend to agree with him most of the time doesn't mean I worship his opinion. Secondly, I don't have to provide a differing libertarian opinion. I was arguing generally that just because a person is a libertarian doesn't mean they have to agree totally with the libertarian platform.
    I accept your position, my request was more for jall. Sorry for the confusion.

    For jall:

    Please provide the non-libertarian position, supported by some libertarians, opposing gay marriage that you find not based on hate or ignorance.

Page 29 of 36 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •