Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 104

Thread: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

  1. #91
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    "Abu Zubaydah became compliant after 35 seconds of the water treatment.

    “It was like flipping a switch,” Mr. Kiriakou said of the shift from resistance to cooperation. He said he thought such “desperate measures” were justified in the “desperate time” in 2002 when another attack seemed imminent. "


    Abu led to many more captures including KSM. Leading to the capture of those asian Islamic recruits and prevention of the library towers incident.

    You cant prove other methods might have worked but you can prove that this did.
    You can't disprove that other methods would have worked just as good. since they weren't tried.

    Also, it WAS proven many innocent people WERE held in Abu because they were released.

    I'd rather the RIGHT method used so we don't ruin people's lives. Imagine if in the U.s. we imprisoned people just because we heard hearsay information that they were guilty. It would be a mess.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Yes I do agree that some did call him Boy. I also noticed they called him other things way more often. But I have also noticed to some have started using "Your Boy" when referring to President Obama ten times more than anybody ever did for Bush. Perhaps Jall means nothing by it.
    Well I can say Jallman didn't mean it that way and a board I was previsouly on for many years back the people on the left DID refer to Bush that way many times.

    In fact, he was referred to as Chimp or "your Boy" many times.

    Just because those terms are now being used for Obama doesn't mean they are racist, it just means they are turning the table.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well I can say Jallman didn't mean it that way and a board I was previsouly on for many years back the people on the left DID refer to Bush that way many times.

    In fact, he was referred to as Chimp or "your Boy" many times.

    Just because those terms are now being used for Obama doesn't mean they are racist, it just means they are turning the table.
    Yes turning the tables is fun isn't it?

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Yes turning the tables is fun isn't it?
    Honestly, not really.

    From what I have seen it is really counter-productive.

    Dems turn the tables on Republicans and then the Republicans turn the table on the Dems, then the cycle repeats.

    I think many spend so much time hating the other side that they don't realize their side is doing just as much damage as the other side did, just in different areas.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well I can say Jallman didn't mean it that way and a board I was previsouly on for many years back the people on the left DID refer to Bush that way many times.

    In fact, he was referred to as Chimp or "your Boy" many times.

    Just because those terms are now being used for Obama doesn't mean they are racist, it just means they are turning the table.
    Plus, we've had our big blow ups over crap like that here on this board, too, and DP has basically adopted an unofficial member policy that you better be damned sure it's racism before you start bandying about that accusation.

    Honestly, I had never heard the term "boy" being a racist thing before this election.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Honestly, I had never heard the term "boy" being a racist thing before this election.
    I have, and it's blatant, and usually that is not the only term used against a black person.

    It is usually quite clear when someone is racist. Yes, I know politicians or professional racists maybe better at hiding that fact (much more in decades past than now), but anonymous posters are usually quite clear with their intentions. I do not see that in your posts at all.

    Like I said, we disagree on many things, but I can't say you are a racist in any terms and in fact I don't think most of the conservatives here are.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I have, and it's blatant, and usually that is not the only term used against a black person.

    It is usually quite clear when someone is racist. Yes, I know politicians or professional racists maybe better at hiding that fact (much more in decades past than now), but anonymous posters are usually quite clear with their intentions. I do not see that in your posts at all.

    Like I said, we disagree on many things, but I can't say you are a racist in any terms and in fact I don't think most of the conservatives here are.
    Oh we've had a few...most of them from Europe though. Which would be funny if it wasn't so friggin pathetic.

  8. #98
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,450

    Re: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You can't disprove that other methods would have worked just as good. since they weren't tried.

    Also, it WAS proven many innocent people WERE held in Abu because they were released.

    I'd rather the RIGHT method used so we don't ruin people's lives. Imagine if in the U.s. we imprisoned people just because we heard hearsay information that they were guilty. It would be a mess.
    They were tried and laughed at.


    "Before the CIA used enhanced techniques . . . KSM resisted giving any answers to questions about future attacks, simply noting, 'Soon you will find out.' " Once the techniques were applied, "interrogations have led to specific, actionable intelligence, as well as a general increase in the amount of intelligence regarding al Qaeda and its affiliates."

    "Before they were subjected to “enhanced techniques” of interrogation
    that included waterboarding, KSM and Zubaydah were not only
    uncooperative but also appeared contemptuous of the will of the
    American people to defend themselves."



    It looks like they were just waiting for a room at the ritz and a dinner meeting with a couple of harvard law grads to discuss their court strategy until the board came out. "I want my lawyer"

    15-0

    Once again you cannot prove what might have worked. Only what did.

    Released Detainees Rejoining The Fight



    "Mehsud said he spent two years at Guantanamo Bay after being captured in 2002 in Afghanistan fighting alongside the Taliban. At the time he was carrying a false Afghan identity card, and while in custody he maintained the fiction that he was an innocent Afghan tribesman, he said. U.S. officials never realized he was a Pakistani with deep ties to militants in both countries, he added. "


    Was someone looking for examples of modern taqiyyah.?
    Last edited by akyron; 06-09-09 at 11:37 PM.
    Thank you

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by akyron View Post
    They were tried and laughed at.
    So are you seriously trying to tell me that is ALL that was in the arsenal of interrogators? PUUUHLEASE.

    Talk to me when you have something other than ridiculous things.

    you're seriously trying to tell me that ALL of our interrogation methods could produce nothing so we had to resort to water boarding or other extended interrogation techniques now?

    Then how is it we got SOLID information from people without water boarding them or sticking them naked in a cell?

  10. #100
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,400

    Re: Photo Fight: Lieberman and Graham Threaten Senate Shutdown

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    My criticism of Petraeus was that he commented on matters of policy that military men should not publicly discourse upon. Beyond that, I disagree with his interpretation things in that area.

    In regards to what will and will not put the troops in harms' way....I defer to his judgment in those areas.
    Fair enough.

    As a matter of logistics, there is a practical limitation to the number of roadside bombs and suicide bombers that can be let loose in a given time period. The relative calm of recent months suggests we are still well under that practical limit.
    I pretty much already alluded to that in my post. That's a matter of operational capability and/or capacity. This reads as if you are suggesting that they could in fact come after us more, they just aren't. I'm curious as to why you think that is. What information are perusing that leads you in this direction?

    You oversimplify. Substitute "desire" for "willingness" and your argument gets stronger. Neither capacity nor willingness is entirely beyond our control, nor is it entirely within our control.
    Maybe I did oversimplify, but not by much. In order for your theory to hold water you must articulate in some way the reason for the reduction in violence. That all I've basically asked for. The "why." It's extremely important in the context of what impact these pictures will have on their willingness to attack. I believe their willingness is very much still there. This rise and fall in the number of attacks is a result of our operations against them, not a lack of willingness on their part.

    I put it to you that the reduction in violence in recent months indicates our troops and the Iraqi forces have reduced the willingness and capacity of the insurgents to wage war. The increase in violence most recently suggests that trend is changing.
    Substantiating that we have been successful in interrupting their operations is fairly straightforward. Body counts, arrests, weapons seized...you have a solid base to work from. Winning the hearts and minds of the neighborhoods that support the militants, that is somewhat measurable. Articulating that we are demoralizing or somehow winning our enemies over is a much bigger statement and one that requires much more in terms of evidence. Nothing suggests that this is the case. In fact the recent increase in attacks is contrary to your statement. By virtue of the fact that attacks are getting more frequent we can tell their willingness seems to be very much intact.

    The desire may not have changed, but the willingness certainly has.
    Please substantiate this, or is this simply your opinion?

    I suspect it will increase their willingness to attack and kill our troops. That is not a risk I feel is wise.
    So in summation, you really can't support your opinion of what impact these photos will have in regards to actually increasing our enemies willingness or capacity to kill our troops. Nor can you substantiate the assertion that others have made that these photos will in fact lead to an increase in our soldiers being killed.

    So my questions remain.

    Anybody else?
    *insert profound statement here*

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •