Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 147

Thread: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

  1. #31
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I am amused too, but not because the guy got pelted with eggs. I am amused because I can now tell Brits how much superior America is to England, and gloat about it. Over here, even complete assholes have freedom of speech.
    Yes, but I seem to remember you were well pissed off at us having Muslim Clerics openly in the streets inciting people to violence. That is what caused the tightening of our laws on free speech.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Tough to differentiate between the extreme left and the extreme right, sometimes, isn't it?
    It's frightening, to tell you the truth, the degree to which both extremes seek to control the thoughts and behaviors of other people.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    Yes, but I seem to remember you were well pissed off at us having Muslim Clerics openly in the streets inciting people to violence. That is what caused the tightening of our laws on free speech.
    There is a difference between being annoyed and angered by someone's free speech (which happens to me quite often), and thinking that they should be legally SILENCED.

    Jesus Christ.

  4. #34
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    It's frightening, to tell you the truth, the degree to which both extremes seek to control the thoughts and behaviors of other people.
    We have no thought control police

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    We have no thought control police
    If you've prohibited and made illegal certain kinds of speech, then indeed you do. Durr. It's a brave new world you live in, Alexa.

  6. #36
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    There is a difference between being annoyed and angered by someone's free speech (which happens to me quite often), and thinking that they should be legally SILENCED.

    Jesus Christ.
    So you would be happy with us still having clerics openly on the street recruiting shoe bombers to blow up planes over American cities.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    So you would be happy with us still having clerics openly on the street recruiting shoe bombers to blow up planes over American cities.
    There is a difference between a conspiracy to commit a crime, and saying that the U.S. should be bombed. Many people may say that we should be bombed, and while I disagree with them, unless they make actual plans to bomb us, I am not in favor of them being arrested simply for expressing that thought.

    We have some limits on free speech, but very few in comparison to the society in which you live.

    And, one of the problems with curtailing free speech is that it creates scenarios exactly like the one you describe...it drives such people, and their supporters, underground.

    YOu presume that these people voted for these BNP candidates because they didn't know what they were about. I would tell that I think they knew very well what they were voting for, and that their votes were very likely a backlash to having their right to free and open expression of their views about what your country should be curtailed by the government.

    When you repress speech, that emotion goes elsewhere, and often in very negative ways.
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 06-09-09 at 12:35 PM.

  8. #38
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

    Yeah I think British commitment to personal liberties is pretty laughable. How many CCTV cameras do they have?
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  9. #39
    Sage
    kaya'08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    British Turk
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 01:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,363

    Re: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    No, I don't believe it should. It's idiotic, but not illegal, in the U.S. A racist ACT might be illegal, but racist thoughts, speech, etc., aren't.
    Why not? To stand in the street and scream at someone "Oi Chocolate face!" or "Popodom", shouldnt be illegal? Its disgusting behaviour and its wrong and it incites hatred. In Britain and alot of Northern/Western European nations, racism is an offence and so it should remain. I dont agree with hate crimes because there is absolutely no need to arrest someone because they are voicing strong opinions against beliefs, but Racism laws i think is completely neccessary, especially in Britain where most regions are very cosmopolitan.
    Last edited by kaya'08; 06-09-09 at 12:36 PM.
    "If religious instruction were not allowed until the child had attained the age of reason, we would be living in quite a different world" - Christopher Hitchens
    > Good to be back, but I'm only visiting for a few weeks. <

  10. #40
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: BNP leader pelted in egg protest

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    If you've prohibited and made illegal certain kinds of speech, then indeed you do. Durr. It's a brave new world you live in, Alexa.
    So the US has people calling people of different races disgusting names and refusing them employment because of this does it. Calling someone a N is completely fine in the Us?
    Last edited by alexa; 06-09-09 at 12:37 PM.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •