Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 252

Thread: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

  1. #151
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    northern ca.
    Last Seen
    01-25-10 @ 02:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    184

    Re: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

    I agree with most of your post above.My thought is illegal immigrants have helped put our state in the hole over the last 10 years.
    I have no problems with legal immigrants living here at all,that's what has made our country a great nation,all the different ideas,and thoughts put together by different people of different nations.
    And yes Ca. needs to get businesses back in the state.

  2. #152
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    A statement you cannot, in any way, support.

    Another statement you cannot, in any way, support.
    If I was wrong, people wouldn't have their firearms stolen and used in crimes. People wouldn't have accidents at the rates we do. People wouldn't keep loaded firearms around. But people do. And people get injured and killed.

    The notion that people aren't stupid and that stupidity in combination with firearms isn't a bad idea is pretty much insane.

    So tell me, are there no guns stolen from owners who failed to secure their weapons? No one is ever injured from lack of firearms training? No one is ever hurt from loaded firearms kept around the houses?

    My dig isn't with the weapons. It's with the idiots behind the weapon.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  3. #153
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Why should a society pay people to not be criminals?
    Because the cost of jailing and prosecuting them is too high? Not to mention the paralyzing effect it would have on the economy? Would you go out when there was a good chance you'd get mugged? When you had to defend all of your property with firearms? When everyone you saw could be someone potentially going to rob you?

    I'd rather pay a bit in taxes for welfare than have to carry around a sub machine gun everywhere I went for safety. Don't know about you. But as Dav pointed out, on this boards, people often adhere to ideology rather than reality and practicality as you are doing here. Do I like welfare? For the most part no. Do I realize what it actually is? Yes. And I've come to terms with it.

    What lesson is learned by people who are paid to not be criminals?
    Shouldnt they not be criminals under any condition?
    See above. You fail to understand the argument.

    The fact that you havent shown it to be true.
    Well, given that you have a long history of rejecting everything you don't like to the point where you were considered the #1 dishonest poster here, I'm not going to care much about that statement.

    Tell me, do you benefit from not being in prison? Are their any benefits the government gives to you for not being a criminal?

    So, the effect of elimitating welfare, in terms of your argument of there being more crime, isn't as terrible as you suggested. Noted.
    Come again? Can you read?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    fyi Re: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Like calling the poor "maggots"? Hardly.
    Sure, inflammatory and hyperbolic terminology like this . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    You can say until you are blue in the face, but that doesn't change the fact that the law does not agree with you because the majority of the country aren't base, depraved baby killing barbarians.

  5. #155
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    If I was wrong, people wouldn't have their firearms stolen and used in crimes.People wouldn't have accidents at the rates we do. People wouldn't keep loaded firearms around. But people do. And people get injured and killed.
    Your statement described MOST gun owners.
    Nothing you state above in any way supports that statement.
    Disagree?
    Show that MOST gun owners have their guns stolen.
    Show that MOST gun owners have gun accidents.
    Show that the avid collectors dont have the best preactices.

  6. #156
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Well, given that you have a long history of rejecting everything you don't like to the point where you were considered the #1 dishonest poster here, I'm not going to care much about that statement.
    Glad to see you took over that #1 spot.

  7. #157
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Because the cost of jailing and prosecuting them is too high?
    I see. Pay people to obey the law because the other option is "too hard".
    With attitudes like this as prevelant as they are, its no wonder that our society is on a fast downhill slide.

    Not to mention the paralyzing effect it would have on the economy? Would you go out when there was a good chance you'd get mugged?
    You say that as if it doesnt exit now. Walk thru a large city much?

    When you had to defend all of your property with firearms? When everyone you saw could be someone potentially going to rob you?
    You say that as if it doesnt exist now. Walk thru a large city much?

    I'd rather pay a bit in taxes for welfare than have to carry around a sub machine gun everywhere I went for safety.
    Hmm. False dichotomy, anyone?

    But as Dav pointed out, on this boards, people often adhere to ideology rather than reality and practicality as you are doing here.
    As -I- am doing here?

  8. #158
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,067

    Re: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    If I was wrong, people wouldn't have their firearms stolen and used in crimes. People wouldn't have accidents at the rates we do. People wouldn't keep loaded firearms around. But people do. And people get injured and killed.

    The notion that people aren't stupid and that stupidity in combination with firearms isn't a bad idea is pretty much insane.

    So tell me, are there no guns stolen from owners who failed to secure their weapons? No one is ever injured from lack of firearms training? No one is ever hurt from loaded firearms kept around the houses?

    My dig isn't with the weapons. It's with the idiots behind the weapon.
    This is so patently false, I don't know where to begin.

    Simply put, it is extremely rare to have an gun-related accident. We have about a billion guns in Texas, and you almost never hear of a child accidentally shooting themself or someone else.

    When people get shot, it's almost entirely from guns purchased illegally, and it's almost always drug or gang related.

  9. #159
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    This is so patently false, I don't know where to begin.
    The post you responded to is a prime example of OC not adhereing to ideology, but to reality and practiciality...

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California Considers Flat Tax and Completely Eliminating Welfare

    Quote Originally Posted by Voidwar View Post
    Sure, inflammatory and hyperbolic terminology like this . . .
    That wasn't inflammatory. It was an honest observation that didn't mince words. Calling the poor (or whoever he was actually calling, he still doesn't know) "maggots" was senseless and idiotic.

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •