Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 178

Thread: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting violence

  1. #151
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting viole

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Radio host Hal Turner has been taken into custody and arrested for inciting violence after he blogged that Connecticut Catholics need to take up arms against 2 lawmakers and a state ethics official. Here is what Turner posted in his blog:

    My question to everyone is the following: Where does free speech end and hate speech begin?
    In this country we do not have hate speech laws. You who claims to be a conservative shouldn't support such laws.

    Hate speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The United States federal government and state governments are broadly forbidden by the First Amendment of the Constitution from restricting speech. See, e.g., Gitlow v. New York (1925), incorporating the free speech clause. Generally speaking, the First Amendment prohibits governments from regulating the content of speech, subject to a few recognized exceptions such as defamation[37] and incitement to riot.[38] Even in cases where speech encourages illegal violence, instances of incitement qualify as criminal only if the threat of violence is imminent.[39] This strict standard prevents prosecution of many cases of incitement, including prosecution of those advocating violent opposition to the government, and those exhorting violence against racial, ethnic, or gender minorities. See, e.g., Yates v. United States (1957), Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969).
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  2. #152
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting viole

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Uhm, what does hannity have to do with this?
    Nothing. But it's fun connecting Republicans/Conservatives who espouse fear and hatred with one of their own even if he/she doesn't speak as loud and venomously as his/her contemporaries.

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting viole

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    In this country we do not have hate speech laws. You who claims to be a conservative shouldn't support such laws.

    Hate speech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The United States federal government and state governments are broadly forbidden by the First Amendment of the Constitution from restricting speech. See, e.g., Gitlow v. New York (1925), incorporating the free speech clause. Generally speaking, the First Amendment prohibits governments from regulating the content of speech, subject to a few recognized exceptions such as defamation[37] and incitement to riot.[38] Even in cases where speech encourages illegal violence, instances of incitement qualify as criminal only if the threat of violence is imminent.[39] This strict standard prevents prosecution of many cases of incitement, including prosecution of those advocating violent opposition to the government, and those exhorting violence against racial, ethnic, or gender minorities. See, e.g., Yates v. United States (1957), Brandenburg v. Ohio (1969).
    If violence is being incited by a source, then that source must be detained. In this case, it was a man telling people to attack three specific people. The safety of those people overrides free speech, sorry.

    If someone got on the radio and started demanding that their audience bomb another building in NYC, that person would be dragged away in an instant.

    Freedom if speech has limits when it comes to public safety. It's why you can't yell fire in a theatre and cite the 1st Amendment when you get arrested.

  4. #154
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,455

    Re: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting viole

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    Radio host Hal Turner has been taken into custody and arrested for inciting violence after he blogged that Connecticut Catholics need to take up arms against 2 lawmakers and a state ethics official. Here is what Turner posted in his blog:

    My question to everyone is the following: Where does free speech end and hate speech begin? The First Amendment is fine and dandy, but when you advocate killing, you have gone over the line, and your rights to free speech end right there.

    Article is here.
    He may have felt oppressed. Killing your oppressors has a long and storied history.

    There is no such thing as a hate crime. It is either a crime or it is not.

    Inciting violence is cheap.
    Last edited by akyron; 06-04-09 at 08:33 PM.
    Thank you

  5. #155
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting viole

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    If violence is being incited by a source, then that source must be detained. In this case, it was a man telling people to attack three specific people. The safety of those people overrides free speech, sorry.

    If someone got on the radio and started demanding that their audience bomb another building in NYC, that person would be dragged away in an instant.
    Inciting violence is not hate speech.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting viole

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Inciting violence is not hate speech.
    Well given the laws we have it depends on what group the "inciting violence" upon is.

    If a group of KKK members tell their people to go out and kill blacks, indeed it is hate speech.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting viole

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Inciting violence is not hate speech.
    "Radio host Hal Turner has been taken into custody and arrested for inciting violence after he blogged that Connecticut Catholics need to take up arms against 2 lawmakers and a state ethics official."

    He wasn't arrested for hate speech, but inciting violence.

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting viole

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well given the laws we have it depends on what group the "inciting violence" upon is.

    If a group of KKK members tell their people to go out and kill blacks, indeed it is hate speech.
    I would hope not. I would hope laws against inciting violence would be strict enough when it happens to anyone that special designations wouldn't be necessary for each little group.

  9. #159
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting viole

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    "Radio host Hal Turner has been taken into custody and arrested for inciting violence after he blogged that Connecticut Catholics need to take up arms against 2 lawmakers and a state ethics official."

    He wasn't arrested for hate speech, but inciting violence.
    [/QUOTE]

    How does that no support my assertion that hate speech is not legal in the US?
    Last edited by jamesrage; 06-04-09 at 08:49 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #160
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Conservative radio host popular onetime Hannity guest charged with inciting viole

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well given the laws we have it depends on what group the "inciting violence" upon is.

    If a group of KKK members tell their people to go out and kill blacks, indeed it is hate speech.
    They wouldn't be arrested for hate speech, if they were arrested it would be for inciting violence. I could be wrong but there is no case were terrorist wearing sheets were arrested for saying " We must killz us some of them niggers" Or Iz wants yous alls to goes out and murders some niggers".
    Last edited by jamesrage; 06-04-09 at 08:51 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •