Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 85

Thread: White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

    White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

    June 1, 2009, 4:10 pm

    The Obama administration is working with their French counterparts to make sure that Britain’s Queen Elizabeth — reportedly miffed, according to the British Press, at not being invited to the D-Day anniversary festivities in Normandy this weekend — gets a formal invitation.

    Robert Gibbs, the White House press secretary, said on Monday that President Obama thinks the queen should be present at the event on Saturday. “We are working with those involved to see if we can make that happen,” Mr. Gibbs said.
    What a HUGE blunder not to invite her! The British sent more troops to Normandy than anybody. The Queen was in the military at the time. Everybody agrees the royal family showed great courage and support during the war.

    We should just boycot the event if France doesn't grow up.


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post



    What a HUGE blunder not to invite her! The British sent more troops to Normandy than anybody.
    Hey Sazerac,

    You might want to get your fact straight the US sent more troops then any other Allied Country,

    US#s 73,000
    English #s 61,715

    source,

    Frequently Asked Questions for D-Day and the Battle of Normandy

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Hey Sazerac,

    You might want to get your fact straight the US sent more troops then any other Allied Country,

    US#s 73,000
    English #s 61,715

    source,

    Frequently Asked Questions for D-Day and the Battle of Normandy
    Well the first article I read about this said it was Brittan. But what ev.

    Big deal, really.

    Wait a minute. She was Queen of Canada, too. So she DID send more troops to Normandy than anybody.
    Last edited by sazerac; 06-02-09 at 12:33 AM.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    07-18-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

    I saw this...

    I'm not really sure if this is the French being their usual asshats(they are known for that) or if it was a brain fart on the part of the people who formed the invitations to not note that the Queen is the head of state in the UK not the PM.

    ATM barring any other information I'm going to suspect its simply a mistake.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

    Quote Originally Posted by Triad View Post
    I saw this...

    I'm not really sure if this is the French being their usual asshats(they are known for that) or if it was a brain fart on the part of the people who formed the invitations to not note that the Queen is the head of state in the UK not the PM.

    ATM barring any other information I'm going to suspect its simply a mistake.
    Probably just usual asshats. I wouldn't put it past them
    How petty, she was actually there unlike many of the other head of states that will be attending

    A French government source said: 'There were never any plans to invite members of the British Royal Family, although an invitation has been extended to Gordon Brown after he said he wanted to come.
    'He will, of course, be concentrating on the British commemorations, away from the American beaches, as is appropriate. This is very much a Franco-American occasion.
    Yeah, invite the idiot who runs Government instead of our actual head of state
    Last edited by Laila; 06-02-09 at 01:41 AM.


  6. #6
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    Wait a minute. She was Queen of Canada, too. So she DID send more troops to Normandy than anybody.
    The failure to invite the Queen - who is head of state of both Britain and Canada - will be seen as an insult to the memory of the 17,556 British and 5,316 Canadian troops who died to free France and are buried there.
    Yep, head of state of both Canada and Britain.
    Not to mention it was her father, who authorized the operation if i remember
    Last edited by Laila; 06-02-09 at 01:48 AM.


  7. #7
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

    I was in Portsmouth for a Normandy commemoration back in about 91 I think. Was a cool thing.

  8. #8
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Probably just usual asshats. I wouldn't put it past them
    How petty, she was actually there unlike many of the other head of states that will be attending

    [B]

    Yeah, invite the idiot who runs Government instead of our actual head of state
    The Queen and the gov't should invite Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou and Henri, Comte de Paris, Duc de France to dinner and such and put on full ceremonial show. Welcome them like heads of state, or at least one, and see how the French like that.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  9. #9
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

    I am always amazed at the strength of the reaction that British people have surrounding their queen. We have nothing at all like it here, and it really is amazing.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: White House Seeks a Proper Invitation for the Queen

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am always amazed at the strength of the reaction that British people have surrounding their queen. We have nothing at all like it here, and it really is amazing.
    She is our head of state, and has been a wonderful one at that. One of the best, she is what makes the Monarch relevant for me.


Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •