Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 217

Thread: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

    By James Rowley and Jonathan D. Salant

    June 1 (Bloomberg) -- Former Vice President Dick Cheney disavowed intelligence he once cited to suggest that then-Iraq dictator Saddam Hussein collaborated with al-Qaeda to stage the Sept. 11 attacks.

    Cheney said today that information by the Central Intelligence Agency of collaboration between Iraq and al-Qaeda on Sept. 11 “turned out not to be true.” Still, Cheney said a longstanding relationship existed between Hussein and terrorist groups, including al-Qaeda, that justified the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003.

    “I thought it was strong at the time and I still feel so today,” Cheney said at a National Press Club lunch in Washington. “There was a relationship between al-Qaeda and Iraq that stretched back 10 years. That’s not something I made up.” Citing 2002 Senate testimony by George Tenet, then the CIA director, he said, “We know for a fact that Saddam Hussein was a state sponsor of terrorism.”

    On whether Hussein helped al-Qaeda carry out the 2001 terrorist attacks, Cheney said, “I do not believe, and I have never seen any evidence, that he was involved in 9/11.”

    On whether Hussein helped al-Qaeda carry out the 2001 terrorist attacks, Cheney said, “I do not believe, and I have never seen any evidence, that he was involved in 9/11.”

    I'm telling you folks this guy is pathetic..now that investigations are progressing and information is coming out in reguards to the Bush Administrations apparent motivatons for torturing people Cheney comes out and makes this stunning admission..why now?

  2. #2
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,400

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    The problem here is that this "relationship between Iraq and Al Qaeda" was absolutely debunked prior to the invasion and the Bush administration knew it. The Counter Terrorism Security Group told them this, the intelligence community produced no solid evidence supporting a link, and an Inspector General's report found that the Office of Special Plans under Doug Feith did in fact present uncorroborated intelligence as factual that was contradicted by the intelligence community.
    *insert profound statement here*

  3. #3
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,722

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    The problem here is that this "relationship between Iraq and Al Qaeda" was absolutely debunked prior to the invasion and the Bush administration knew it. The Counter Terrorism Security Group told them this, the intelligence community produced no solid evidence supporting a link, and an Inspector General's report found that the Office of Special Plans under Doug Feith did in fact present uncorroborated intelligence as factual that was contradicted by the intelligence community.
    The biggest lie is when no WMD's were discovered, and the Bush administration began telling everyone that the war was fought to free the Iraqi people. However, the ONLY reason given to invade Iraq was the WMD issue, and this is the ONLY issue that was given to Congress to justify the resolution to invade Iraq. The resolution to invade Iraq that was voted on by Congress specifically pointed to WMD's and Saddam's so-called attempts to reconstitute its nuclear program, despite the intel showing that Saddam had given that up in 1991.

    Think about it. If Bush said "let's go to war to free the Iraqi people", would Americans have supported it? Of course not. The Bush administration needed to scare the bejesus out of people with false information, cherry picked from a mountain of data that showed otherwise.
    Last edited by danarhea; 06-01-09 at 09:27 PM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    However, the ONLY reason given to invade Iraq was the WMD issue, and this is the ONLY issue that was given to Congress to justify the resolution to invade Iraq.

    Wow. Have you actually read the resolution? Because, really, what you just said is not in the least bit true.

    It is true that the administration focused on Iraq's alleged WMD's and Iraq's desire to restrict WMD inspections... But the resolution voted on by congree alleged many other items including the repression of the citizens of Iraq and the stability of the Middle East.

    But, don't let facts get in the way of a good argument.
    Last edited by buck; 06-01-09 at 09:45 PM.

  5. #5
    Advisor Don't Tase Me Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-22-09 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    446

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks
    What's news about that? Most of us have known this for a long time now.

  6. #6
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

    By James Rowley and Jonathan D. Salant

    June 1 (Bloomberg) -- Former Vice President Dick Cheney disavowed intelligence he once cited to suggest that then-Iraq dictator Saddam Hussein collaborated with al-Qaeda to stage the Sept. 11 attacks.

    Cheney said today that information by the Central Intelligence Agency of collaboration between Iraq and al-Qaeda on Sept. 11 “turned out not to be true.” Still, Cheney said a longstanding relationship existed between Hussein and terrorist groups, including al-Qaeda, that justified the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2003.

    “I thought it was strong at the time and I still feel so today,” Cheney said at a National Press Club lunch in Washington. “There was a relationship between al-Qaeda and Iraq that stretched back 10 years. That’s not something I made up.” Citing 2002 Senate testimony by George Tenet, then the CIA director, he said, “We know for a fact that Saddam Hussein was a state sponsor of terrorism.”

    On whether Hussein helped al-Qaeda carry out the 2001 terrorist attacks, Cheney said, “I do not believe, and I have never seen any evidence, that he was involved in 9/11.”

    On whether Hussein helped al-Qaeda carry out the 2001 terrorist attacks, Cheney said, “I do not believe, and I have never seen any evidence, that he was involved in 9/11.”

    I'm telling you folks this guy is pathetic..now that investigations are progressing and information is coming out in reguards to the Bush Administrations apparent motivatons for torturing people Cheney comes out and makes this stunning admission..why now?
    You do know Bush and Cheney made this statement while they were still in office too.....

    This is not news.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #7
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Wow. Have you actually read the resolution? Because, really, what you just said is not in the least bit true.
    Wolfowitz: -- there have always been three fundamental concerns. One is weapons of mass destruction, the second is support for terrorism, the third is the criminal treatment of the Iraqi people. Actually I guess you could say there's a fourth overriding one which is the connection between the first two. Sorry, hold on again.

    The third one by itself, as I think I said earlier, is a reason to help the Iraqis but it's not a reason to put American kids' lives at risk, certainly not on the scale we did it.
    DefenseLink News Transcript: Deputy Secretary Wolfowitz Interview with Sam Tannenhaus, Vanity Fair

    Yeah. Helping Iraqi people. Not high on the priority list.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #8
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,400

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    There were actually a series of lies and half truths foisted upon the American public and Congress. But look, WMD's were not the only reason we invaded. They were certainly the most talked about, but they also played up the link to Al Qaeda, and paid lip service to the Iraqi people.

    To say WMD's were the only reason we invaded is not very accurate. The misleading went much deeper than that.
    Last edited by Lerxst; 06-01-09 at 11:25 PM.
    *insert profound statement here*

  9. #9
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    You do know Bush and Cheney made this statement while they were still in office too.....

    This is not news.
    Hello, this is old news remember?

    /thread
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    So, let's compare:
    However, the ONLY reason given to invade Iraq was the WMD issue, and this is the ONLY issue that was given to Congress to justify the resolution to invade Iraq.
    Wolfowitz: -- there have always been three fundamental concerns. One is weapons of mass destruction, the second is support for terrorism, the third is the criminal treatment of the Iraqi people.
    Looks like I win!

    BTW, The Iraq war resolution voted on and passed by congress and the quote you provided of Wolfowitz didn't list the reasons for war in order of importance.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •