Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 217

Thread: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,848

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Zyphlin,

    I get your point. The Bush-43 administration never claimed that the Iraqi gov't were involved in 9/11. I get that. I think we all do, but here's my point once again...it was heavily implied that there was a connection between the terrorist and the Iraqi gov't. In short, the Bush-43 administration played on our fears. Moreover, former VP Cheney is still doing it! He may be playing down the Iraq-9/11 connection, but he's still making the assertion that Saddam possed a real threat to the U.S. THROUGH lose associations with known terrorist.

    If those connections had been solid, I'd be defending the War in Iraq every day! But the connection was proven not to exsist atleast not to the extent the American people and the world were led to believe.

    So, to me for former VP Cheney to come out with this old/brand new revelation now...well, what's the point except to once again attempt to justify going to war in Iraq where there really wasn't any justification at all? Moverover, his commentary is really about continuing on a line of fear and drumming up support for terrorist detainees. Why else would he even discuss this matter now?
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 06-02-09 at 01:32 PM.

  2. #122
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Zyphlin,

    I get your point. The Bush-43 administration never claimed that the Iraqi gov't were involved in 9/11. I get that. I think we all do, but here's my point once again...it was heavily implied that there was a connection between the terrorist and the Iraqi gov't.
    Implication on their part... or inference on yours?

    In short, the Bush-43 administration played on our fears.
    Happens all the time. Nothing inherently wrong with it.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    There's credible evidence and there's unsubstatiated reports the Bush-43 administration called "evidence". Which would you rather be tried on: concrete evidence or circumstacial evidence?

    Put another way, which would you rather fight for your life over? The truth or a lie?
    No, there is nothing Bush said that he was not told by our CIA. This would be the CIA that completely missed Saddam's weapons programs in the '90s. Bush never lied and never intended to.

    At some point with all the bs coming from everywhere you gotta make a decision.

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,848

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Implication on their part... or inference on yours?
    C'mon, Goodieman. Certainly, you're not that naive.

    The Bush administration clearly implied there was a "terroristic" connection between Saddam's regime and Al-Qauida. It was the only way he could gain favor from the American people, Congress and I dare say the world in order to justify going to war w/Iraq in a post-9/11 world. If 9/11 had never happened, he would NEVER have been able to gain support for what he did.

  5. #125
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    01-15-18 @ 04:40 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,947

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    If 9/11 had never happened, he would NEVER have been able to gain support for what he did.
    I don't think that's necessarily true, but even if it is . . .

    So?

    (Besides, this implies that Bush intended to invade Iraq no matter what, simply as a matter of course, and there is NO evidence for that.)
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #126
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    C'mon, Goodieman. Certainly, you're not that naive.
    I only ask because I never got the impression that you did.

  7. #127
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,848

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    No, there is nothing Bush said that he was not told by our CIA. This would be the CIA that completely missed Saddam's weapons programs in the '90s. Bush never lied and never intended to.
    You go right on believe that, buddy.

    At some point with all the bs coming from everywhere you gotta make a decision.
    And G. W. Bush's decision to invade Iraq, IMO, was the wrong decision to make. He could have kept this country just as safe by knocking out suspected weapons production plants or storage facilities and been just as effective. We didn't have to go to war, not with the marginal evidence he had - evidence that by all accounts hadn't really changed that dramatically since the early Clinton administration.

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,848

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I don't think that's necessarily true, but even if it is . . .

    So?

    (Besides, this implies that Bush intended to invade Iraq no matter what, simply as a matter of course, and there is NO evidence for that.)
    Where have you been? There have been media reports that confirm that Bush-43 had every intent to go to war with Iraq even before he took office. But I digress...

    The article in question isn't about 9/11, the Iraq War or Saddam's alledged affiliation w/Bin Laden or terrorist acts. It's about what to do with the terrorist at Gitmo. Interestingly enough, although Cheney discusses the difficulties in closing Gimto, as well as the difficulties in getting other nations (particularly those, of which, some suspected terrorist are citizens of) to take (back) these people, not once does he acknowledge that his administration released several hundred detainees themsevles nor does he mention that the Bush administration ran into the same stumpbling block over Gitmo that the Obama administration is currently undertaking.

    Newsweek has a 4-page article covering this very issue here. The following is a excerpt from the Newsweek article:

    The public impression is that the debate over repatriating detainees has only just begun. In fact, the agreement with the Denmark was only one of many behind-the-scenes negotiations between U.S. officials and their foreign counterparts that have been going on since late 2002. That largely hidden chapter of diplomatic history—and the mixed results it yielded—illuminates the challenges Obama faces as he races to close Gitmo down. "Over five or six years, we had a multiple-ring circus of negotiations around the world that people really didn't know about," says John Bellinger, who helped spearhead those efforts, first at the National Security Council and later as legal adviser to then-secretary of state Condoleezza Rice. "I analogize it to the old duck metaphor: we were calm above the surface but furiously paddling our feet below the surface."

    The paddling grew more furious with each passing year, as Guantánamo—and America's treatment of detainees in general—became an ever-expanding public-relations nightmare for the U.S. government. Concerns about what, precisely, would happen to the prisoners once they left Guantánamo gave way to a resolve to get them out, as quickly as they could. It was a mammoth diplomatic task: Prosper, the State Department's initial lead negotiator, spoke with diplomats from all of the 44 countries represented in Camp Delta save for Syria. The process, which under Bush resulted in the return of some 550 detainees, revealed the hard truth that the new administration now confronts: there is no good way out of Guantánamo.
    And yet President Obama is wrong for not only wanting to close Gitmo, but also for wanting to stop torture. Give me a break!
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 06-02-09 at 02:06 PM.

  9. #129
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Where have you been? There have been media reports that confirm that Bush-43 had every intent to go to war with Iraq even before he took office.
    Really.
    How about a link to one of those.
    Understand that having plans in place (whiuch I am sure we've had since well bore 1990) does not indicate intent.

  10. #130
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    01-15-18 @ 04:40 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,947

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Where have you been? There have been media reports that confirm that Bush-43 had every intent to go to war with Iraq even before he took office. But I digress...
    Yes. DO show some evidence of that.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •