Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 217

Thread: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

  1. #111
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    My point remains the same.

    Even if we (the U.S.) had intel the suggested that Saddam was collaborating with Bin Laden or some rogue faction, until it could be proven that was, in fact, a target towhich he was ready to strick, you don't invade another soverign country.
    Is there such thing as an non-sovereign country?
    In a pre-nuclear world, you'd be right -- but the level of destruction that a single nucelar wepon can bring, waiting until he is 'ready to strike' may very well be too late.

    I accept the fact that Iraq's WMD/weapons capabilities were of great concern mostly because we really didn't know with a high degree of certainty what Saddam was doing, but IMO all we really had to do was launch a surgical strike at a few key targets, i.e., weapons factories - suspect or real, and that would have put an end to it.
    Like we did in December 1998?
    You'll note that all the quotes I posted were -after- that....

    We didn't have to invade Iraq to yield the ultimate goal as aspoused by the commentary of the politicians you quoted, which was to end his WMD capabilities.
    Part of the problem wasnt just the weapons, but the guy in power.
    As long as the guy was in power, the threat remained.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    Bush was very clear that we would no longer wait until we were attacked. This is part of the "Bush Doctrine." Everybody seemed to agree with him at the time.
    So Iraq had the military capabilities to attack US soil?
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    What was he going to attack us with?

    Sticks?
    Gee, I don't know ADK Forever. Saddam wouldn't let me come look around and see what was available to him.

    I do sorta doubt that Putin sent special agents to Washington to warn Bush that Saddam had sticks.

  4. #114
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    If Iraq was so damn dangerous why did it take a matter of weeks to take over the entire freaking country?!
    You do understand that the argument for action against Iraq never swung over Iraq's conventional military capabilities -- right?

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    So Iraq had the military capabilities to attack US soil?
    That's what the articles say. If you had something really nasty in an envelope it wouldn't be difficult to attack US soil.

    Here. It's simple to find with google.


    CNN.com - Russia 'warned U.S. about Saddam' - Jun 18, 2004
    Last edited by sazerac; 06-02-09 at 01:15 PM.

  6. #116
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    I'm telling you folks this guy is pathetic..now that investigations are progressing and information is coming out in reguards to the Bush Administrations apparent motivatons for torturing people Cheney comes out and makes this stunning admission..why now?
    This is not really new. The administration was not and never has to my knowledge stated "Iraq was involved IN THE 9/11 ATTACK". The closest that has come is people making ASSUMPTIONS thats what they meant and last I checked news reporters, nor Hatuey, are mind readers. Even your own link later on didn't say it. It ACTED like he said it but when they finally had to put foot to flames and quote him:

    "We learn more and more that there was a relationship between Iraq and Al Qaeda that stretched back through most of the decade of the '90s," Cheney said, "that it involved training, for example, on [biological and chemical weapons], that Al Qaeda sent personnel to Baghdad to get trained on the systems."

    Nope, that isn't Cheney saying that "The Iraqi Government was involved in 9/11". No dice.

    Here you're just playing dirty. I mean like, top level political dirty. Like, a rag used to clean a ****ter type. Look at what you bold and what the full sentence is. You're bolding half of it. Read context.

    They're not disputing the conclussion, they're disputing the fact that it somehow CONTRADICTS statements they had made linking Iraq to 9/11 because they made no such assertions. Your own link shows you to be full of it on this:

    Bush, who has said himself that there is no evidence Iraq was involved in 9/11, sought to explain the distinction Thursday, saying that while the administration never "said that the 9/11 attacks were orchestrated" with Iraqi help, "we did say there were numerous contacts between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda."
    So no, Strike One. Nothing in this article proves Cheney or Bush stated that the Iraqi Government were linked to the 9/11 attack.

    Your next one, again, does not prove what you're ignorantly trying to claim or at least imply it presumes. Having a "link" prior to the 9/11 attacks DOES NOT PROVE that the administration was stating there was a link directly to the 9/11 attacks. You could say there was a "link" between some dumb ass kid that bought something from a guy who funnels money to Al-Qaeda at some point prior to 9/11, that does not mean you're saying that Kid was directly involved in 9/11

    Strike 2.

    So, lets see if this passes the grade. Knowing you, and this post, I'm going to guess no.

    So a statement that Atta possibly met with an Iraqi Intelligence officer months before the attack, with a clear statement that it has not been able to confirm or discredit it as fact yet, and with nothing stating it had anything to do with the 9/11 attack. So nope, that one doesn't cut it.

    The next quote. Well, all it does is state there's reason to believe there was a strong connection perhaps with the 93' world trade center Bombing...but I'm pretty sure that's not 9/11

    Strike Three. You're out. But you keep wanting to swing for the fences huh? You're like the anti-Babe Ruth. You call your shot then we all laugh as you whiff.

    And finally :

    Iraq, 9/11 Still Linked Cheney

    Dontch'all love teh powerz of teh Goggglez?
    Close, but no Cigar. Again, its not saying that Iraq was involved in 9/11, only that its been a base for Terrorists....terrorists, who in general have had us under assult for many years and most especially in 9/11. That does not mean that Iraq was INVOLVED in 9/11, or even that the 9/11 terrorists specifically were in Iraq, but that the area had been a haven for terrorists, who in general have been giving us trouble for many years. And, even beyond that, you fail to acknowledge the fact the Administration came out days later and clarified the statement...hardly pointing to it being a legitimate administration stance and instead pointing to it being poor wording.

    Yes, teh powersz of teth Gogglez is amazing. Would just help if you were being honest or actually attempting to give any thought into it other than banging on it and thinking "these things popped up, they must be true, people can't possibly read them and see I'm just making bull **** claims".

    Second Time. Does not state that Iraq was involved in the 9/11 attack, was clarified days later by the Bush Administration, showing that it wasn't a Bush Administration stance and acknowleding that it was poorly worded by Cheney in getting his intent across, which was that Iraq was a ground used by Terrorists, who for many years have been giving the U.S. trouble most recently 9/11.

    Third Time. Does not state that Iraq was involved in the 9/11 attack, was clarified days later by the Bush Administration, showing that it wasn't a Bush Administration stance and acknowleding that it was poorly worded by Cheney in getting his intent across, which was that Iraq was a ground used by Terrorists, who for many years have been giving the U.S. trouble most recently 9/11.


    Fourth Time. Does not state that Iraq was involved in the 9/11 attack, was clarified days later by the Bush Administration, showing that it wasn't a Bush Administration stance and acknowleding that it was poorly worded by Cheney in getting his intent across, which was that Iraq was a ground used by Terrorists, who for many years have been giving the U.S. trouble most recently 9/11.

    Just because you keep stating YOUR OPINION of what he meant, instead of taking actual facts and context into account, and trying to pass it off as fact does not make it so. Just because you keep repeating your lie and misrepresentation doesn't make it truth. So keep on posting your pathetic little "fifth time" and "Sixth time" and I'll gladly keep up with you pointing out that your point is bull****, and that the administration has not taken a stance that Iraq was directly involved in the 9/11 attacks. If this conversation was about Cheney saying Iraq and Al-Qaeda were connected, that'd be one thing. But that's not what its talking about, its talking about Iraq having a hand in 9/11, and that was not stated.

  7. #117
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    Not at all! He could be lying for some reason. But that doesn't change the fact that he said it.

    And what if Saddam did attack us and it came out that Putin had warned us? We would have been demanding Bush's head on a platter for ignoring the warning.

    If Saddam was planning terrorist attacks and the Russians showed us evidence it can't just be ignored. We never used this as a reason to go to war. But there IS evidence that Saddam was planning attacks because I have given the links several times. Whether the information is true or not does not change the fact that there is evidence.
    There's credible evidence and there's unsubstatiated reports the Bush-43 administration called "evidence". Which would you rather be tried on: concrete evidence or circumstacial evidence?

    Put another way, which would you rather fight for your life over? The truth or a lie?

  8. #118
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,592

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Yes, the Administration never said a word about ending Saddam's tyranny until well after the invasion. Which is why it was called "Operation Get the WMDs."

    It's absolutely astounding how for some of you people, history begins when you first hear about something.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #119
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    That's what the articles say. If you had something really nasty in an envelope it wouldn't be difficult to attack US soil.

    Here. It's simple to find with google.


    CNN.com - Russia 'warned U.S. about Saddam' - Jun 18, 2004
    So the US's actions to invade Iraq as a military threat to the US is dictated by statements from Putin?
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  10. #120
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    Gee, I don't know ADK Forever. Saddam wouldn't let me come look around and see what was available to him.

    I do sorta doubt that Putin sent special agents to Washington to warn Bush that Saddam had sticks.
    Interesting how this so-called warning only came from Putin. He certainly should be believed at all costs, I suppose.

    You guys will believe anything but, the facts, I guess.

    Wake up and smell the deteriorated WMDs.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •