Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 217

Thread: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

  1. #91
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Hey, don't you know that CIA started lying to Congress after January 20, 2001? But they also started lying to Congress before 2001 in preparation for the Bush Administration.
    We always knew Iraq posed a threat (Gulf War???). We also know Pakistan, North Korea, Iran, Saudia Arabia, China, and Russia pose a threat.

    The point is are the threats worth acting on? Previous leaders didn't think so. Bush and his admin felt evidence had presented itself that the known threat of Saddam was NOW worth acting on. Or they just required less evidence to attack people then the Democrats do.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  2. #92
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    We always knew Iraq posed a threat (Gulf War???). We also know Pakistan, North Korea, Iran, Saudia Arabia, China, and Russia pose a threat.

    The point is are the threats worth acting on? Previous leaders didn't think so.
    Not at all true. We went to war in Iraq in 1998, if you recall correctly.

    Bush and his admin felt evidence had presented itself that the known threat of Saddam was NOW worth acting on.
    Based on the idea that, after 9-11, things had changed.
    A perfectly legitimate position.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Look at some of Bush's earliest speeches on the issue. You'll find that the fomentation of democracy and civil rights in Iraq are high on the list of priorities.
    Nice to know your President told you the "truth"
    Bush's little bitch Blair lied, he said it was dangerous for Iraq to still be there because of WMD's which has resulted in the death of 158 soldiers ... for what? A pack of bull**** lies. We should have been in Afghanistan not Iraq.

    Well such a shame what happened to Saddam can't happen to the duo
    Last edited by Laila; 06-02-09 at 12:47 PM.


  4. #94
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by sazerac View Post
    AFTER 9/11
    AFTER 9/11
    AFTER 9/11

    Now why don't you come back when you can prove Putin was lying. Go now.
    So your entire argument is based on the Putin's statements being 100% truthful. Good luck with that. We know Putin is just a stand up guy that has American's best interest in mind.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  5. #95
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    How is this news?
    Cheney never claimed there was a link between Iraq and 9-11.
    Really?

    The Bush administration has long claimed links between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaida, and cited them as one reason for last year's invasion of Iraq.

    On Monday, Vice President Dick Cheney said in a speech that the Iraqi dictator ``had long established ties with al-Qaida.''
    From the 9/11 Commission Report: 9/11 Commission Contradicts Bush/Cheney: No Link Between Al-Qaida and Saddam

    In typical Cheney fashion he was trying to link Hussein with Al Qaeda and thus to 9/11.

    In case that's not enough to jog your memory,

    Defending their record in office these past eight years, figures from the last administration seem especially touchy on the subject of torture. Led by the former vice president, Dick Cheney, they have argued that there was no torture, preferring more vague and delicate terms such as “enhanced interrogation” or simply “the program.” They have insisted that any harsh tactics were used only to extract “actionable intelligence” from recalcitrant terrorists in order to save “thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands” of innocent lives.

    But now we are learning that those methods, long banned as torture in our own laws and treaties, may well have been employed for a very different and deeply nefarious purpose: to justify the dubious invasion of Iraq by falsely connecting Saddam Hussein’s regime to al-Qaida and the 9/11 attacks.
    A former top aide to Colin Powell recently revealed that a Libyan prisoner was brutalized by Egyptian intelligence agents, at the behest of the Bush White House, until he talked about a connection between Saddam and al-Qaida. (That man, who later recanted those statements, which he said had been made under torture, has supposedly killed himself in a prison cell in his homeland, so he is no longer around to offer any inconvenient testimony.)

    A pair of retired senior intelligence officials told former NBC News investigative producer Robert Windrem that in April 2003 the vice president’s office itself suggested the waterboarding of a former Iraqi intelligence official captured in Baghdad, in order to make him talk about the mythical ties between his government and al-Qaida. A series of reports have indicated that torture was used to elicit the same false testimony from Abu Zubaydah, an al-Qaida operative subjected to waterboarding literally dozens of times—even though he had begun to cooperate with FBI interrogators.

    Despite the expected denials of such gross misconduct emanating from the intelligence community, some of the most damning evidence came from Mr. Cheney’s own mouth. Back in 2004, according to the McClatchy Newspapers, he boasted to the Rocky Mountain News (a Denver daily that has since ceased publishing) that the fruits of interrogation had vindicated him.

    When a Rocky Mountain News reporter asked whether he still stood by earlier statements linking Saddam to the terrorist perpetrators of the 9/11 attacks, despite demurrals from Mr. Powell, Mr. Cheney replied: “We know for example from interrogating detainees in Guantanamo that al-Qaida sent individuals to Baghdad to be trained in ... chemical and biological weapons technology.” He went on to predict that when all of the Saddam regime’s records were examined, there would be “ample evidence confirming the link.”

    Five years later, there is still no evidence confirming the link. There is persuasive evidence, however, that Gitmo prisoners were tortured on orders from the Bush White House, where Mr. Cheney commandeered authority on such matters. Former U.S. Army psychiatrist Maj. Charles Burney told Army investigators in 2006 that he and other interrogators at the detainee camp had been ordered to focus on a certain topic, without success, despite resorting to those “enhanced” techniques.

    “While we were there, a large part of the time we were focused on trying to establish a link between al-Qaida and Iraq, and we were not successful in establishing a link between al-Qaida and Iraq,” Major Burney testified.

    As Mr. Cheney no doubt knows, prisoners enduring torture can be induced to say almost anything to ease their pain and fear. American Special Forces are trained to resist those ugly methods precisely because they have been used by totalitarian regimes to extract false confessions for centuries.

    It is hard to imagine anything more disturbing than the use of torture by the U.S. government in seeking to justify an aggressive and unjustified war, which has cost hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions of dollars. Now we need to know whether those awful offenses were perpetrated on Mr. Cheney’s watch—by fully empowering a truth commission to take testimony from him and his associates under oath.
    Truthdig - Reports - Cheney and the Iraq-Torture Link
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  6. #96
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Not at all true. We went to war in Iraq in 1998, if you recall correctly.
    Are you talking about the attacks that the US and UK performed in response to Iraq's failure to adhere to UN sanctions? I don't know anyone that considers that a war with Iraq.


    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Based on the idea that, after 9-11, things had changed.
    A perfectly legitimate position.
    I agree here. Strategically toppling Saddam was a good idea. I never disgreed with the invasion of Iraq and toppling of Saddam. I disagree with how it was planned and executed.
    Last edited by Gibberish; 06-02-09 at 12:48 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  7. #97
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    We always knew Iraq posed a threat (Gulf War???). We also know Pakistan, North Korea, Iran, Saudia Arabia, China, and Russia pose a threat.

    The point is are the threats worth acting on? Previous leaders didn't think so. Bush and his admin felt evidence had presented itself that the known threat of Saddam was NOW worth acting on. Or they just required less evidence to attack people then the Democrats do.
    Congress thought it was worth acting on, and so did the UN.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    “While we were there, a large part of the time we were focused on trying to establish a link between al-Qaida and Iraq, and we were not successful in establishing a link between al-Qaida and Iraq,” Major Burney testified.
    Rest assured Major, if there wasn't Al Qaeda/Taliban before Saddam in Iraq there sure as heck will be some of them now


  9. #99
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Congress thought it was worth acting on, and so did the UN.
    Of course Congress did. The American people wanted blood and the politicians weren't going to risk losing their seats by opposing the citizens. A huge black mark for our politicians in my eyes.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  10. #100
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Cheney Says There Was No Iraq Link to 9/11 Attacks

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Of course Congress did. The American people wanted blood and the politicians weren't going to risk losing their seats by opposing the citizens. A huge black mark for our politicians in my eyes.
    Patriotism is a very dangerous thing especially when it blinds one to reason.


Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •