Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 340

Thread: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

  1. #131
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    No I aint. I am saying GM is failing because of bone head decisions by the management over the decades and this includes the insane labour costs.
    What else could they do about the labor costs?

    If they don't meet the unions demands the union strikes.
    Management can't just cut labor costs without meeting the unions minimum standards.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #132
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    What else could they do about the labor costs?

    If they don't meet the unions demands the union strikes.
    Management can't just cut labor costs without meeting the unions minimum standards.
    Of course they can. It is America is it not? Do what Reagan did to the air controllers.. fire the bunch and hire others.

    Like it or not the management had no spine during the negotiations.. pure and simple. Not even in Europe do we have such idiotic labour costs (relatively speaking) put on companies when compared to the rest of the society.
    PeteEU

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You have some evidence that those "stupid southerners" are not making a living wage? Hell, they are making a better wage than many of us unemployed northern auto workers...
    Come on, Redress... let's not turn each other into fools by making silly riech-wing style arguments. I mean, seriously... they are making a better wage than the unemployed?

    As for making a living wage... I guess we'll have to go through the pointless exercise of determining what each of us considers a living wage and then denying each others position... I'll save us all a lot of time and grief. I withdraw the "living wage" phrase and replace it with "a comparable wage". Feeling better?

  4. #134
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Baralis View Post
    I can get more but I thought this sums it up fairly well.
    The NCPA? Hey why don't you just quote and OPINION from the American Enterprise Institute while you're at it.

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    No. "How it works, pal" is that you didn't mention the preferred alternative: find a different job that pays more.

    Can't find a job that pays more? Then who are you to say your job "should" be paid more? Why shouldn't the company replace you with someone less greedy?
    Well, you know I'm going to say that, as a matter of course, you lack empathy. How unusual for a con. Like it or not, most people cannot afford (financially and/or socially) to pick up and move their family every time an employer takes advantage of them.

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I find the profound and deep-seated bigotry of this statement pretty much consistent with your overall reasoning skills. But then, that level of reasoning is where hate generally hatches its maggots.
    I don't view all southerners this way, just the idiots who work against their own self interest so that a foreign (domestic too) company can make bigger profits off of their labor. Or so a politician can enact legislation that harms them (medicare drug bill, credit card bill...). Naturally you'd like to be dismissive because I expose your nonsense with common sense.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Indeed.
    Indeed what? Do you think pedanticalness is not a word?

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Right. Unions never negotiate for shorter hours, more vacation time, more paid time off for other reasons, etc.. Right.
    Don't ALL employees NEGOTIATE these things as part of their compensation? So I guess ALL employees try to get more pay for less work. Funny though that Americans have steadily been working harder and hard for less and less pay since the Reagan revolution. For years now, comapnies have been laying off people and putting that workload on other employees without additional compensation. I've seen it in every job I've had until I became my own boss and everyone I know can tell you similar stories.

    If you compare a Hummer and a Corolla, sure.
    I'll just let you bask in the stupidity of that statement.

    Oh, it's been clear for a long time that you "see" exactly, and ONLY, what you want to see.
    Fortunately not everyone in the country has your failing eyesight.

    Yet, GM sells more cars than anyone BUT Toyota, and Toyota only surpassed them very recently by.

    No, it doesn't. PeteEU keeps saying that GM is failing because they don't sell cars. But they do. More than anyone except Toyota, and even then, it's a difference of 7%.

    So, it's not the number of cars they sell. If it were, then they wouldn't be in trouble.
    Which you think says what? That it's employment costs? I'm fine with that. So let's force Toyota to pay an equal wage and not subsidize their employee healthcare through their government... level the playing field, and you might see GM on top once more. But no, instead you want everyone to lower their wages to that of foreign companies... how very American of you.

  9. #139
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Oh, so then it's not the union that hurt the big three... You can't blame the union workers and then, when it's beneficial to your argument, ignore your previous position.
    Once again your simplistic bumper sticker arguments ignore the realities of the higher productivity rates of these workers, lower investment costs to manufacture in these states and a lot of other FACTS that make these areas far better locations to do business in than states infested with the Liberal Union mentality of their politicians.

    It doesn't undermine my argument; it undermines your desperate attempts to suggest that they are working for far less because they might be dumb rednecks.

    Carry on; your bumper sticker mentality is merely more evidence of the lack of any attempts on you or other Liberals to make the effort to have coherent and substantive arguments.

  10. #140
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    What else could they do about the labor costs?

    If they don't meet the unions demands the union strikes.
    Management can't just cut labor costs without meeting the unions minimum standards.
    No one has yet to explain WHY American companies should lower their employment costs (wages and benefits) to compete with foreign companies who sell their products to Americans. I know you cons keep saying they should lower those costs but you haven't laid out why. I mean other than to increase corporate profits.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •