Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 340

Thread: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    What UAW does that I would define as a perversion is they promote workers to such an extreme that it hurts the employers to the point that the employer is less competitive.
    Less competitive because their competition pays lower wages right? Right.

    So you think it's a perversion to pay people a better wage. Is there a difference in the standard of living between 2 workers doing the same job, one in Detroit and one in Kentucky? Yes, the guy in Detroit has a better standard of living. So if I were the guy in Kentucky I'd be like, why don't I make that much. Instead he says, the guy in Detroit gets paid too much... baffling.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    So you'd admit you are mistaken if I could provide you MORE links than you provided, that dispute your claims?

  3. #113
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,330
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    You sound very conservative when you make these kinds of statements which completely lack empathy. What if you weren't making enough? What if management didn't work it out? What then? Strike? Union? That's how it works pal.
    Then it would be a different situation. Unions are not some ultimate evil, I have not claimed that. If the pluses outweighed the minuses, I would want a union. So far, that has not been the case though.


    Ah... so it's just your opinion. I have been to a couple of the GM plants outside of Dearborn and have a very different opinion. I didn't see anything but hard workers.
    My first job after I got out of navy was at a place that made blockout switches for GM car doors. Part sort in Columbus GM plant, the guy who riveted the switch to the door could do his whole days quota in about 2 hours, but would not do more. He spent most of his time when his upervisor was not there reading. Note, they where on 10 hour days and Saturdays at the time.


    Seems like that's all you have, anecdotal evidence.
    You as well. We are sharing stories, what is your point?


    Thank you for finally agreeing. They put their plants in the south and pay less (stupid southerners) for the same work while having healthcare subsidized by their government.
    If those stupid southerners are making enough money to provide for their families and be happy, and they have a job, I am failing to see why they are stupid. They have better employment than we have here in Michigan, home of the auto industry...


    I don't know what you are responding to but it wasn't anything I said.

    you said:

    And I replied:
    You said that foreign auto makers payed lower employment costs, I pointed out that this is not the case in my situation, and that of all suppliers that supply both "domestic" and "foreign" auto makers, or to put it another way, at least a large portion of the auto industry as a whole.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Tase Me Bro View Post
    Maybe you haven't been paying attention the last few years but the southern U.S. (up until the recession that's bit everyone) has been experiencing an economic boom for 20 years now. Our states in the south have been growing by leaps and bounds while the rust belt states, aptly named, up north have been bleeding jobs and population for years.

    Take a look at the 2010 Census projections and how it will affect the Electoral College and Congressional apportionment.

    File:Proposed Electoral College 2012.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Look who is gaining seats: North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc. Look who is losing seats: Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, New York, Massachusetts, etc.

    The states that have practiced tax friendly economics to both businesses and residents have thrived. The yankees up north who are still stuck in the economic 1950s are sweeping up the dirt of their once great empires.

    Like we've been telling you for a long time: The South will rise again!

    Let me give you some first hand knowledge. I moved from California to North Carolina in 2004, not because CA was bleeding jobs but because I got sick of the materialistic lifestyle and I could do my same job from a State closer to my familiy (IL and MI) and the cost of living is WAY cheaper. TADA! The south was seeing an economic boom because after the tech bubble, and the rise of the internet (working from home) people moved to lower CoL states. It's not that southerners suddenly created better paying jobs it's that smart people were selling their homes for BIG profit and buying nice homes in the south for next to nothing.

    I lived in a 1800sqft house in CA that I bought before it was even finished being built (goldy locks track home) in 1998 for $250k. In 2004 I sold it for $625k and moved into a 3600sqft house on 2 acres with an inground pool for $260k. Most of the people around here (Asheville area) are transplants just like me.

    The south will rise again because the north has invaded!

  5. #115
    Advisor FlappyTheKinkajou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-09 @ 07:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    406

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Less competitive because their competition pays lower wages right? Right.

    So you think it's a perversion to pay people a better wage. Is there a difference in the standard of living between 2 workers doing the same job, one in Detroit and one in Kentucky? Yes, the guy in Detroit has a better standard of living. So if I were the guy in Kentucky I'd be like, why don't I make that much. Instead he says, the guy in Detroit gets paid too much... baffling.
    Yeah, everybody should be paid 50,000 an hour.

    Liberals suck. Stop being liberal.
    Let's figure it out.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Another no-content response from good ol' Slippery.
    Good to see that some things never change.
    Another con proving to be consistent by attacking the poster when you can't attack the argument.
    Good to see that some things never change.

  7. #117
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Less competitive because their competition pays lower wages right? Right.

    So you think it's a perversion to pay people a better wage. Is there a difference in the standard of living between 2 workers doing the same job, one in Detroit and one in Kentucky? Yes, the guy in Detroit has a better standard of living. So if I were the guy in Kentucky I'd be like, why don't I make that much. Instead he says, the guy in Detroit gets paid too much... baffling.
    But the guy in KY still has a job, and better climate, and less pollution, and probably better looking women.
    I know what I had to learn, and be able to do, in order to get paid $60K per year as a reactor operator/technician. No way should a semi-skilled job like assembly line worker make more than me...
    Last edited by UtahBill; 06-02-09 at 05:53 PM.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    The job of anyone on a side of the negotiating table is to get as much as possible for as little as possible.

    If you don't accept that, then it is YOU who are the naive one.
    As little as possible does not automatically mean less work. In this instance it means that unless you pay more you won't have any workers. Or to put it another way, we want more pay for the job WE DO. Not more pay for less work.

    If you don't accept that, then it is YOU who are the naive one.

    It doesn't make GM any more competitive; it simply cripples the competition and make everyone less well-off, including the "middle class" who will see car prices in general skyrocket.
    Interesting, so cars from the Big 3 are at astronomical prices while Toyota's are low priced. Interesting. You must be right because I don't see anyone driving cars built by the Big 3...

    Increasing the wages to be comparable would raise the car price to that of the Big 3. People can afford a GM car as evidenced by their sales. Sure, they have made business mistakes in the type of cars they produce but that's not compensation related. So your hypothesis is fails a simply examination.

  9. #119
    Advisor FlappyTheKinkajou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-09 @ 07:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    406

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    Another con proving to be consistent by attacking the poster when you can't attack the argument.
    Good to see that some things never change.
    He said your post had no content.
    Let's figure it out.

  10. #120
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: GM goes bankrupt and gets nationalised

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post


    Increasing the wages to be comparable would raise the car price to that of the Big 3. People can afford a GM car as evidenced by their sales. Sure, they have made business mistakes in the type of cars they produce but that's not compensation related. So your hypothesis is fails a simply examination.
    There are a lot of stubborn folk like myself, who will not buy anything but American brand cars. Even my elderly neighbor who actually fought the Japanese while in the Navy buys Toyota vehicles, at least the last 3 times.
    I hope it never gets to the point where I have to buy a Japanese brand, hell I will buy a Ford first.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •