Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 55

Thread: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

  1. #41
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Two questions if I could:

    1) What did you think of the original decision? And if you got the time, could you explain it briefly? Talloulou and I spent some time on it the other night, but niether of us is a lawyer.
    I think the court got it wrong on several grounds, primarily because I don't think that Title VII gives governments carte blanche to violate the Equal Protection Clause.

    Here's the best summary of the arguments on appeal:

    Argument Preview: Ricci v. DeStefano | SCOTUSblog

    Basically, the Fire Department tested candidates in order to determine promotions. Based on scores along, all of the open positions would have gone to whites and hispanics. The Fire Department got nervous about this, as they were worried about getting sued, so they decided not to certify the results of the test. They got sued anyways.


    2)Could you expand on the bolded part please. It went right over my head.
    The district court wrote a lengthy opinion that staked out new positions on complex issues. A court of appeals 3-judge panel affirmed with a "summary order," which is basically a way of saying "this is so simple and obvious that it's not worth spending a lot of time talking about." The firefighters asked the entire 2nd Circuit (13 judges) to review the case. Three days before that decision was handed down, the 3-judge panel withdrew their summary order and wrote a short opinion that actually touched on the merits of the case and said that the district court did a great job. In doing so, they made the district court's decision much more important. The circuit decided against reviewing the case as a whole by a vote of 7-6.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #42
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    he is trying to WOW !!!! us !!! and showing off !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    I have no doubt that he he is bright and /or resourcefull but usually people do not throw jaron that is not commonly know jargon into an discussion without explantion. By all means learn whatever you can from whomever.

    There are pleaty of "legal" sites avaialable and some are free that anyone can tap into. When I was in the claim department of an insurance company a millions years ago we did use WestLaw as an online refernce but not to practice law just to be able to learn enough legal terms so that we could ask the legal department in an informed manner if we had a case that was questionable.
    The reason I used "legal jargon" like en banc or per curiam is because that's what they're called. I assumed that people either knew what they meant or could look them up quite easily, as you point out.

    If someone doesn't know what those terms mean and is too lazy to look them up, that's a pretty good hint that they shouldn't be talking about topics like this in the first place.


    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    You want to throw out latin terms fine !! My learned opinion is that your actions speak for themselves. There is a legal doctrine for that and it is "res ipsa loquitur " or the thing speaks for itself.

    You appear to be acting in a prejudicial manner toward Stomayor. We can presume that you acted prejudicially simply because predujidial posts against Sotomayor exist. The presumption is that the prejudicial opinions are yours and your opinions have casued this prejudice hense your opinion is under your control. The prejudicial posts were as of a result of a careless act of you posting. Sotomayor did not contribute any behavior to cause you to post such prejudicial posts.

    Therefore under the doctrine of "res ipsa." your prejudicial posts speak for themselves therfore you have behaved in a prejudicial posting manner toward Sotomayor.

    the thing ( your prejudice ) speaks for itself

    This is one of the funniest things I've ever read, bar none.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 05-31-09 at 12:01 AM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #43
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I think the court got it wrong on several grounds, primarily because I don't think that Title VII gives governments carte blanche to violate the Equal Protection Clause.

    Here's the best summary of the arguments on appeal:

    Argument Preview: Ricci v. DeStefano | SCOTUSblog

    Basically, the Fire Department tested candidates in order to determine promotions. Based on scores along, all of the open positions would have gone to whites and hispanics. The Fire Department got nervous about this, as they were worried about getting sued, so they decided not to certify the results of the test. They got sued anyways.




    The district court wrote a lengthy opinion that staked out new positions on complex issues. A court of appeals 3-judge panel affirmed with a "summary order," which is basically a way of saying "this is so simple and obvious that it's not worth spending a lot of time talking about." The firefighters asked the entire 2nd Circuit (13 judges) to review the case. Three days before that decision was handed down, the 3-judge panel withdrew their summary order and wrote a short opinion that actually touched on the merits of the case and said that the district court did a great job. In doing so, they made the district court's decision much more important. The circuit decided against reviewing the case as a whole by a vote of 7-6.
    Thank you sir.

    Edited to add: excellent link, thanks a ton for it. Will try and work my way through it tomorrow...it's slow going to me as a nonlawyer.
    Last edited by Redress; 05-31-09 at 12:10 AM.

  4. #44
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 07:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,237

    Re: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Limbaugh is such a ****ing douche bag.

    I commend Steele for cautioning everyone to show some class and intelligently discuss her qualifications. Good for him. The right doesn't need to sink to Limbaugh's level to argue against her nomination.
    Yeah, you really seem like the kind of guy who would be a real admirer of Steele. Stop acting like a phoney.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #45
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

    Setting aside whether we believe Sotomayor made a bad decision or not in the Firefighter case this is a case where the City ( Firedepartment thereof) didn't get the results that it wanted from the test therefore they tried to make beleive that the testing never happened by ignoring the results.

    The judges had to deside whether any law was broken by the City. In order for there to have been a law broken there would have to have been a viable law in place.

    So as I see it the higher courts need to decide was there a law broken, was there a law in place, does that law apply to the case.
    “I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us “ f107HyperSabr

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Steele: No ’slammin and rammin’ Sotomayor - Blogs from CNN.com

    Mickey Mike Steele says there ain't gonna be No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor as Mikey Mike disagrees with The Drug Addict.

    Must be a new day at the GOPPER'S house of cards since Mickey Steele appears to have found, bought, or stolen a pairs of balls from Wall MART or he had a quickie transplant of a set of twins since Mickey Mike is 180 degrees opposite of the Drug Addict on this one. The drug addict said ""way get promoted in the Barack Obama administration" is "by hating white people."

    Now you guys who have implants from the RNC control center was Mickey Mike talking about the sex acy when he said "be No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor. " ? Just asking !!!!
    Michael Steele grew balls? It seems more to me like he's the one without them as he refuses to go after this sexist and racist with no place on the SCOTUS.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    There is no evidence in terms of her long track record, only emotional "trash" and name calling to support your contention in order to accuse her of:

    -racism
    We have her own words to prove her sexism, racism, and admitted subjective judicial style.

  8. #48
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    We have her own words to prove her sexism, racism, and admitted subjective judicial style.
    I would prefer to base an opinion on more than one incident of bad word choice before I would send her to death row.
    “I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us “ f107HyperSabr

  9. #49
    Guru
    F107HyperSabr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Connecticut
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,617

    Re: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Michael Steele grew balls? It seems more to me like he's the one without them as he refuses to go after this sexist and racist with no place on the SCOTUS.
    What you say ??
    "this sexist and racist with no place on the SCOTUS. " but there is a place on the SCOTUS for her and my guess is that she will be singing with the SUPREMES by fall !!!

    You know why ? The GOOPPER ectremists are going about this the wrong way. You are trying to show racism where none exists.

    Also she is a "White" Peurto Rican so your accusation of racissm is harder to prove.
    “I do not recall the Viet Cong asking me if I was a natural born or Naturalized American before they shot at me, they just shot at all of us “ f107HyperSabr

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Steeley Mike=' No 'slammin and rammin' Sotomayor

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    What you say ??
    "this sexist and racist with no place on the SCOTUS. " but there is a place on the SCOTUS for her and my guess is that she will be singing with the SUPREMES by fall !!!

    You know why ? The GOOPPER ectremists are going about this the wrong way. You are trying to show racism where none exists.

    Also she is a "White" Peurto Rican so your accusation of racissm is harder to prove.
    She has asserted that Latino Women are more capable of making certain judgements than white males, that is a sexist and racist comment and a kind of thinking with no place on the bench. Do you people even have a clue as to what objectivity and impartiality mean?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •