Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 222

Thread: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

  1. #151
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Dog from the story,

    Petraeus didn’t say which parts of the Geneva Conventions he thought he and other administration officials had violated.
    Does that mean there were no violations? You seem to be avoiding answering this question directly. When exactly was Petraeus asked that specific question.

    Scorp your argument here seems to be that because he wasn't asked to go into the specifics of the actual violations that he is somehow not credible.

    Is that your position?

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Does that mean there were no violations? You seem to be avoiding answering this question directly. When exactly was Petraeus asked that specific question.

    Scorp your argument here seems to be that because he wasn't asked to go into the specifics of the actual violations that he is somehow not credible.

    Is that your position?
    He made a statement he should have at least given example's of what part of the accord we have violated to make the type of sttaement he did was just wrong.

  3. #153
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by OutoftheBox View Post
    This is very compelling. This came from Gen Petraeus today.


    Raw Story US violated Geneva Conventions, Bush Iraq commander says

    US violated Geneva Conventions, Bush Iraq commander says


    By John Byrne

    Published: May 29, 2009


    The head of the US Central Command, General David Petraeus, said Friday that the US had violated the Geneva Conventions in a stunning admission from President Bush’s onetime top general in Iraq that the US may have violated international law.

    “When we have taken steps that have violated the Geneva Conventions we rightly have been criticized, so as we move forward I think it’s important to again live our values, to live the agreements that we have made in the international justice arena and to practice those,” Gen. Petraeus said on Fox News Friday afternoon.

    I sure this has not made dick cheney very happy

  4. #154
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    He made a statement he should have at least given example's of what part of the accord we have violated to make the type of sttaement he did was just wrong.
    How does one do that on a Fox News show whom are not exactly known for going in depth in their reportage.

  5. #155
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    How does one do that on a Fox News show whom are not exactly known for going in depth in their reportage.
    Good question why wasn't there a follow up by the reporter I know I would have ask a follow up.

    But lets not just throw rocks at Fox all the major News Outlets have been doing this.

  6. #156
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Good question why wasn't there a follow up by the reporter I know I would have ask a follow up.

    But lets not just throw rocks at Fox all the major News Outlets have been doing this
    .
    You are right. In depth reporting has fallen to the wayside since the invention of infotainment.

  7. #157
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    When Did I say anything abut Iraqie's ??? You ask about Al Quadia
    You didn't. I did. Innocent Iraqis were rounded up because rewards were offered, with no proof, taken prisoner, tortured, transferred to Gitmo, tortured some more. Some were released... some were not.

    The only question I asked about Al Qaeda was, "Given your POV, are you saying that because Al Qaeda did not sign the GCs that they are not deserving of any humanitarian treatment by the US, that they are fair game to be tortured?". You never did address that directly aside from you insinuation that we should "take no prisoners". If we had followed your way of thinking, how many innocent people would we have murdered? And this would have been fine with you, ehh? And you work for our gov't?

    From your earlier posts it seemed you knew something about these laws and wanted to discuss them. I see now all you want to do is play the semantics game.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    You didn't. I did. Innocent Iraqis were rounded up because rewards were offered, with no proof, taken prisoner, tortured, transferred to Gitmo, tortured some more. Some were released... some were not.

    The only question I asked about Al Qaeda was, "Given your POV, are you saying that because Al Qaeda did not sign the GCs that they are not deserving of any humanitarian treatment by the US, that they are fair game to be tortured?". You never did address that directly aside from you insinuation that we should "take no prisoners". If we had followed your way of thinking, how many innocent people would we have murdered? And this would have been fine with you, ehh? And you work for our gov't?

    From your earlier posts it seemed you knew something about these laws and wanted to discuss them. I see now all you want to do is play the semantics game.
    Yes I do know the Geneva Accord very well, it's part of our United nation Training we must be able to cite 90% of the accords, besides the usual name,rank and serial # oh and for the record I don't fall under the Geneva Accords why because I'm not an US Soldier I work for DoD.

    As for Al Qaeda they don't belong to any stand International Army or part of any Country hence they don't get to be protected by the Accords, don't forget these animals have no problem with attacking civilian targets which is direct violation of the accords.

  9. #159
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,476

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Agreed! Not to mention that as a signature to the Body of Principles for the Protection of All Persons under Any Form of Detention or Imprisonment
    adopted by United Nations General Assembly resolution 43/173 of 9 December 1988...





    There are many more principles than that. But, that one alone tells you that we have an obligation to treat "ALL" prisoners, of any kind, humanely!
    Don't forget Principle 6.


    Principle 6
    No person under any form of detention or imprisonment shall be subjected
    to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.* No
    circumstance whatever may be invoked as a justification for torture or other
    cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment.

    * The term "cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment"
    should be interpreted so as to extend the widest possible protection against
    abuses, whether physical or mental, including the holding of a detained or
    imprisoned person in conditions which deprive him, temporarily or permanently,
    of the use of any of his natural senses, such as sight or hearing, or of his
    awareness of place and the passing of time.
    *insert profound statement here*

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Don't forget Principle 6.
    Except one little item I would like to point out not one General Resolution that the UN has passed has been approved by the United States Congress so hence the United States along with China,Russia,France and few other Countrys don't follow 43/173.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •