Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 222

Thread: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

  1. #141
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,425

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    What are you talking about have you read the article he state's that he doesn't know what Accord we violated hence their is no story, please explain how you can have a story saying that the US Violated the Geneva Accords when the person who is making these statements can't even name one violation.
    I absolutely read the article as well as watched his actual interview. You are patently wrong in your statement. This is what the article actually said.

    Petraeus didn’t say which parts of the Geneva Conventions he thought he and other administration officials had violated.
    That in no way indicates that he doesn't know. In the interview clip that I saw, and in the transcript I read, he never says he "doesn't know" and he is never asked to elaborate by the interviewer.

    Did you read the article? If so, can you show me the sentence in the article that indicates Petraeus doesn't actually know what articles we violated?
    The head of the US Central Command, General David Petraeus, said Friday that the US had violated the Geneva Conventions in a stunning admission from President Bush’s onetime top general in Iraq that the US may have violated international law.

    “When we have taken steps that have violated the Geneva Conventions we rightly have been criticized, so as we move forward I think it’s important to again live our values, to live the agreements that we have made in the international justice arena and to practice those,” Gen. Petraeus said on Fox News Friday afternoon.

    Petraeus made the comment in the context of being asked about the Bush administration’s so-called “enhanced interrogation techniques.” The now-Central Command chief said he believed that banning the more extreme techniques had taken away “a tool” employed by “our enemies” as a moral argument against the United States.

    Petraeus didn’t say which parts of the Geneva Conventions he thought he and other administration officials had violated.

    Asked about a “ticking time bomb” scenario — which is often employed by torture’s defenders — Petraeus said that interrogation methods approved for use in the Army Field Manual were generally sufficient.

    “There might be an exception and that would require extraordinary but very rapid approval to deal with but for the vast majority of the cases our experience… is that the techniques that are in the Army Field Manual that lays out how we treat detainees, how we interrogate them, those techniques work, that’s our experience in this business,” he said.

    He also acknowledged that the US prison at Guantanamo Bay has inflamed anti-US hostility.

    “I do support is what has been termed the responsible closure of Gitmo,” Petraeus said. “Gitmo has caused us problems, there’s no question about it. I oversee a region in which the existence of Gitmo has been used by the enemy against us. We have not been without missteps or mistakes in our activity since 9/11 and again Gitmo is a lingering reminder for the use of some in that regard.”

    “I don’t think we should be afraid of our values we’re fighting for,” he added. “What we stand for and so indeed we need to embrace them and we need to ope rationalize them in how we carry out what it is we’re doing on the battle field and everywhere else. So one has to have some faith I think in the legal system. One has to have a degree of confidence that individuals that have conducted such extremist activity would indeed be found guilty in our courts of law.”
    There you go...just anywhere in there. Go ahead and point to a single statement in this article that substantiates your claim of "he state's that he doesn't know what Accord we violated."
    *insert profound statement here*

  2. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    I absolutely read the article as well as watched his actual interview. You are patently wrong in your statement. This is what the article actually said.



    That in no way indicates that he doesn't know. In the interview clip that I saw, and in the transcript I read, he never says he "doesn't know" and he is never asked to elaborate by the interviewer.

    Did you read the article? If so, can you show me the sentence in the article that indicates Petraeus doesn't actually know what articles we violated?


    There you go...just anywhere in there. Go ahead and point to a single statement in this article that substantiates your claim of "he state's that he doesn't know what Accord we violated."
    Here you go right in the middle of the text,


    Petraeus didn’t say which parts of the Geneva Conventions he thought he and other administration officials had violated.

  3. #143
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,425

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Here you go right in the middle of the text,


    Petraeus didn’t say which parts of the Geneva Conventions he thought he and other administration officials had violated.
    No kidding? Really? Is that what it says? Geez...I think I read that already somewhere.

    You specifically said that General Petraeus stated he didn't know what accords we violated. Let's go for round two where the stakes really go up. Where in the article does it say anything that substantiates your claim? I already know he didn't elaborate, but where did he state he didn't know?

    Thanks.
    *insert profound statement here*

  4. #144
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Alright I'll answer that part also, under the Accords all Signee Country will not use the accords to any Combative(s) who are not part of any International Country and these folks will be consider rouges and do not fall under the same treatment that all Military Folks have under the Accords.
    Is this a quote from some official document or your ad lib? Do you have a link for this?

    You all do understand that the Geneva Accords are only used for military Personal Right.
    You mean anyone with a gun?
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  5. #145
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,425

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Is this a quote from some official document or your ad lib? Do you have a link for this?



    You mean anyone with a gun?
    Here is the key difference in what you are arguing and what some of your detractors are arguing. You are arguing about the spirit of honoring human rights and being morally responsible as a nation in living up to our values as a democracy (we treat all people fairly and humanely, we don't torture, we honor the spirit of the Geneva Convention).

    They are arguing legal definitions as a defense for not following the accords. They don't believe they apply and therefor the U.S. is not bound by them in these cases. Which is probably true. Some people don't support torture but are simply making more of a legal argument. Some people do support torture and don't give a damn about our nations values. They will beat their chests when it comes to social conservatism and talk values and morals, and they use that rhetoric to slam liberals. But when it comes to torturing detainees they will claim "what specific values are you talking about? what morals? where are these spelled out?" And they'll engage in talking out both sides of their mouth.

    However I am with you on why we should honor them regarding these individuals simply because torture is wrong. That's the real issue.
    *insert profound statement here*

  6. #146
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    To answer you last part, we should never have take any of them as POW you can interpet this anyway you like.
    So as to not assume your meaning here. You're advocating "not" taking of prisoners, right?

    These uncivilized actions would have at least prevented many innocent Iraqis from being kidnapped and tortured.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  7. #147
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Here is the key difference in what you are arguing and what some of your detractors are arguing. You are arguing about the spirit of honoring human rights and being morally responsible as a nation in living up to our values as a democracy (we treat all people fairly and humanely, we don't torture, we honor the spirit of the Geneva Convention).

    They are arguing legal definitions as a defense for not following the accords. They don't believe they apply and therefor the U.S. is not bound by them in these cases. Which is probably true. Some people don't support torture but are simply making more of a legal argument. Some people do support torture and don't give a damn about our nations values. They will beat their chests when it comes to social conservatism and talk values and morals, and they use that rhetoric to slam liberals. But when it comes to torturing detainees they will claim "what specific values are you talking about? what morals? where are these spelled out?" And they'll engage in talking out both sides of their mouth.

    However I am with you on why we should honor them regarding these individuals simply because torture is wrong. That's the real issue.
    Agreed! Not to mention that as a signature to the Body of Principles for the Protection of All Persons under Any Form of Detention or Imprisonment
    adopted by United Nations General Assembly resolution 43/173 of 9 December 1988...

    These principles apply for the protection of all persons under any form of detention or imprisonment.
    All persons under any form of detention or imprisonment shall be treated in a humane manner and with respect for the inherent dignity of the human person.
    There are many more principles than that. But, that one alone tells you that we have an obligation to treat "ALL" prisoners, of any kind, humanely!
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    So as to not assume your meaning here. You're advocating "not" taking of prisoners, right?

    These uncivilized actions would have at least prevented many innocent Iraqis from being kidnapped and tortured.
    When Did I say anything abut Iraqie's ??? You ask about Al Quadia

  9. #149
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    No kidding? Really? Is that what it says? Geez...I think I read that already somewhere.

    You specifically said that General Petraeus stated he didn't know what accords we violated. Let's go for round two where the stakes really go up. Where in the article does it say anything that substantiates your claim? I already know he didn't elaborate, but where did he state he didn't know?

    Thanks.
    Well then if you think he is stating we violated the Accords wouldn't he be able to cite which sections we were in violation, he is the one who made that statement that he didn't know which accord we might have violated hence no story if he can provide proof of which part of the Geneva Accord the United States Violated then how can this be a story.

  10. #150
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,425

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion89 View Post
    Well then if you think he is stating we violated the Accords wouldn't he be able to cite which sections we were in violation,
    Sure, however he wasn't asked by the interviewer to elaborate.

    he is the one who made that statement that he didn't know which accord we might have violated
    You're being deliberately obtuse now. He NEVER made that statement. I've asked you to show me where he ever said that and you have repeatedly failed to do so.

    hence no story if he can provide proof of which part of the Geneva Accord the United States Violated then how can this be a story.
    Maybe if someone actually asks him to specifically identify the articles we violated he will answer with a specific list. But that wasn't the case in this article. The story is the fact he said it in an interview.

    Our argument here is over.
    *insert profound statement here*

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •