Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 222

Thread: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

  1. #91
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    You should read it again. It says:



    There is no requirement in that statement that the adverse party must be "represented by a [specific] power."
    But it does not require it, it only encourages it "its spirit encourages the Power" not making it illegal in any way.

    Huge difference between a direct order and a request.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #92
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    But it does not require it, it only encourages it "its spirit encourages the Power" not making it illegal in any way.

    Huge difference between a direct order and a request.
    As already stated, there's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law, and neither should be ignored OR twisted to suit one's agenda. In its attempts to excuse/justify torture, Bushco is relying on people like you to dismiss the meaning and intent behind the words.

  3. #93
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    As already stated, there's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law, and neither should be ignored OR twisted to suit one's agenda. In its attempts to excuse/justify torture, Bushco is relying on people like you to dismiss the meaning and intent behind the words.
    And here comes the hyper partisan spin.

    If you had actually read the thread you would already know I am against torture in any form including water boarding. I have no agenda and have not excused it in any way. I will not sit by and let partisan hacks try and spin this Geneva convention crap as it has no bearing at all.

    If people got convicted for breaking the spirit of the law I would agree, but they aren't. This is just another asinine twist to say "Bush did it!" Sorry I am not playing that silly partisan game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #94
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I am not playing that silly partisan game.
    I'm not playing a partisan game either.

    Here's the deal: As a nation, we signed the Geneva Conventions in good faith. To intentionally ignore/dismiss the intent of that promise and the good faith that was exhibited when it was made, because it suits this or that administration's agenda (as BushCo has done), is dishonest and disingenuous. To pretend otherwise is also dishonest and disingenuous.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    I'm not playing a partisan game either.

    Here's the deal: As a nation, we signed the Geneva Conventions in good faith. To intentionally ignore/dismiss the intent of that promise and the good faith that was exhibited when it was made, because it suits this or that administration's agenda (as BushCo has done), is dishonest and disingenuous. To pretend otherwise is also dishonest and disingenuous.
    Actually it's called the Geneva Accords and second may I remind you and everyone else that terrorist don't follow the Accords hence no Signie Nation needs to follow it when it come to dealing with these Animals.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Why is is that every time that Bush and Cheney's name is mentioned in reguards to the torture debate it is deemed to the "hyperpartisian liberals" putting a partisian spin on things? That is a total copout crock.

    The torture debate involves the Bush administration at every angle you cannot have the discussion without the fact that the Bush Administration played the key role in making it all happen.

    Sad but true...and it will be included in the debate until it's conclusion.

    Whenever that is/

  7. #97
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    I'm not playing a partisan game either.
    Could have fooled me. Oh wait, you did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Here's the deal: As a nation, we signed the Geneva Conventions in good faith. To intentionally ignore/dismiss the intent of that promise and the good faith that was exhibited when it was made, because it suits this or that administration's agenda (as BushCo has done), is dishonest and disingenuous. To pretend otherwise is also dishonest and disingenuous.
    Again people are not convicted in this country for breaking the "spirit" of any law. You actually have to break the law as it is stated.

    Secondly it was a request, not an order leaving it up to the powers that be to decide.

    The only thing disingenuous is your partisan interpretation of the law as it stands to get Bush.

    Go after Bush if you like, but bring a real case, not trumped up crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    01-05-10 @ 06:26 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,629

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    I'm not playing a partisan game either.

    Here's the deal: As a nation, we signed the Geneva Conventions in good faith. To intentionally ignore/dismiss the intent of that promise and the good faith that was exhibited when it was made, because it suits this or that administration's agenda (as BushCo has done), is dishonest and disingenuous. To pretend otherwise is also dishonest and disingenuous.
    Your correct we are Signee of the Geneva Accords but with that said not one let me repeat this not one Terror group is hence they are not protected by the accords, also the Accords only protect Standing Arm force's and follow the rules of Warfare.

    Also you folks all keep bring up Mr. Bush fine then how about this I start bring up JFK,LBJ and Carter all of them at one time or another violated the Accords.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Could have fooled me. Oh wait, you did.



    Again people are not convicted in this country for breaking the "spirit" of any law. You actually have to break the law as it is stated.

    Secondly it was a request, not an order leaving it up to the powers that be to decide.

    The only thing disingenuous is your partisan interpretation of the law as it stands to get Bush.

    Go after Bush if you like, but bring a real case, not trumped up crap.
    "TRUMPED UP CRAP" sounds like Bush and Cheney's justification for invading Iraq and torturing and raping people.

  10. #100
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: "US violated Geneva Conventions" - Gen Petraeus

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Why is is that every time that Bush and Cheney's name is mentioned in reguards to the torture debate it is deemed to the "hyperpartisian liberals" putting a partisian spin on things? That is a total copout crock.

    The torture debate involves the Bush administration at every angle you cannot have the discussion without the fact that the Bush Administration played the key role in making it all happen.

    Sad but true...and it will be included in the debate until it's conclusion.

    Whenever that is/
    Because until it is shown that the former administration actually broke a law, that is all it is.

    If President Obama and the majority Democratic Congress are not bringing up the former administration on charges, what else would you call it?

    It is a partisan witch hunt by those mostly not in power, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •