Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

  1. #41
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Tactically, she probably should retract it. However, morally, she has done very little wrong here.
    Morals? Whose morals? Yours? I'm sure there are many that find racism deplorable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    It is pure idiocy to put 'white man' in where 'latina woman' is, and think that proves anything except make the statement unfathomable.
    Are the all the female suprme court justices ever "idiots"? Both have opined and/or agree that "a wise old man and a wise old woman will reach the same judgment."

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Do you think she might have possibly, just possibly, meant something totally obvious: that the experience of being oppressed due to membership in two of the oppressed groups in our society could have made her wiser? You and every one else bent on creating a tempest in a teapot are busy ignoring this obvious non-racist meaning, even though you know it to be true.
    I didn't know latina women were so horribly "oppressed" in this country. Heh. Is that why so many flood across our borders risking life and limb every day? Hispanics have been advantaged in this country by the racist policies of affirmative action, and she has been further advantaged by being a woman and getting to double dip with affirmative action. What the hell is "oppressive" about that? The only people oppressed de jure in this country are whites, particularly males, (and in some states, like California, asians).

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    In short, the obvious meaning of what she said is: "I am wiser because I have experienced racism directed at me. I am wiser because I have experienced chauvinism directed at me." I cannot express how incredibly and plainly stupid it is to be convinced that she is somehow racist. What would not be stupid would be to pretend that you believed she is racist in order to attempt to hurt her politically.

    So, are ya' stupid or just playing games?
    What you say is even worse, being racist and playing the victim card all in one shot. Thankfully, she has not done that, your ridiculous interpretations of her words notwithstanding.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Wrong. Laws are as often revised by judicial findings as by legislative action. It is the job of the courts to interpret laws in lights of our foundational principles and previous court findings, to ensure that legislative actions don't take us too far from our founding documents.
    Interpretation is not revision. I remind you of Chief Justice Marshall's words in Marbury v Madison:

    It is emphatically the province and duty of the judicial department to say what the law is.
    No ruling changes the law. No ruling alters the law. Every ruling applies the law--no more and no less than this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    For instance, consider laws which are overturned in court because they are found to be unconstitutional...that IS, in fact, the role of the court, to serve as a check/balance on legislative action.
    Again, that is not revising the law. Going back to Marbury v Madison
    ...the theory of every such government must be, that an act of the legislature repugnant to the constitution is void.
    The Court does not invalidate the law. The Constitution invalidates laws repugnant to it. The Court applies the Constitution to the law, and the law to the case, in that order of precedence.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    We are not a pure democracy, we are a republic.
    And this is an irrelevancy.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    No, but every person brings something to the practice of law. She is bringing quite a lot.
    All but an understanding of the proper role of the jurist, unfortunately.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

    Quote Originally Posted by stevenb View Post
    She's obviously not very keen on the constitution.
    Well, definitely, her position on guns is shi-ite.

  5. #45
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
    stevenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, Az
    Last Seen
    11-28-09 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,560

    Re: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Well, definitely, her position on guns is shi-ite.
    I've read (probably right wing bull****), but.. I've read she's pretty keen on making law from the bench as well.. or rather.. She thinks that's part of her duties.


    I don't think she was a very good choice imo... like other's, I'm okay with a dem, repub, alien, cow, anyone that will respect the constitution, and the word of law.. but.. I don't think she will.. and I think her nomination was more of a token.. "See, we got the first black president and now we've got the first hispanic supreme court judge... AND SHE'S A WOMAN!"
    George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to win the war with Britain... He shot them.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Interpretation is not revision.
    So, when a court overturns a law and/or invalidates sections of it, that isn't, in practice, a REVISION of the law? Bollocks.

    And this is an irrelevancy.
    No, actually, it isn't. Because in a straight democracy, legislative action is defined by the majority, WITH NO CAPACITY for interpretation of those laws in light of founding documents.

  7. #47
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

    I wonder how long it will take Corynn to kiss Rushes a** after this statement.

    < I think it's terrible," Sen. John Cornyn, the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, told NPR's "All Things Considered" Thursday. "This is not the kind of tone any of us want to set when it comes to performing our constitutional responsibilities of advise and consent.”>

    CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney - Blogs from CNN.com



    Someone must have reminded him that his district is in Texas and Texas has a sizable Hispanic population, as well as when Sotomayor made this statement (“Hispanic women would make better judges than white men”) hardly qualifies as racism.

    Someone please show me the country where Hispanics originated.
    Last edited by Donc; 05-29-09 at 11:42 AM.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  8. #48
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    So, when a court overturns a law and/or invalidates sections of it, that isn't, in practice, a REVISION of the law? Bollocks.
    No, it isn't a revision.

    Remember, the court says what the law is, not what the law should be. The court can only declare a law to be in contravention to the Constitution. The invalidity of the law derives from the principle that, as explained in Marbury, a law repugnant to the Constitution is void.

    Thus, a law which is deemed unconstitutional is not suddenly overturned and repealed--it is held to never have been in force. A legislature cannot pass a law that violates the constitution. Every aspect of the legislative process, including the oath legislators take when they assume office, precludes this (at the Federal level, at least, Congressmen and Senators swear an oath to uphold the Constitution). If a law were passed knowing it to be a violation of the Constitution, the legislators passing such a law would be in violation of their oath, would be acting outside their capacity as legislators, and thus the passage of such a law would be nullified.

    Judges who seek to rewrite the law depart from their proper role of declaring what the law is, and venture into the legislative role of declaring what the law should be. Judges who do that need to be impeached and removed from the bench, not elevated to the Supreme Court.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    No, actually, it isn't. Because in a straight democracy, legislative action is defined by the majority, WITH NO CAPACITY for interpretation of those laws in light of founding documents.
    Nor is there inherently such capacity in a Republic.
    Last edited by celticlord; 05-29-09 at 11:46 AM.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

    Quote Originally Posted by vendur View Post

    I didn't know latina women were so horribly "oppressed" in this country. Heh. Is that why so many flood across our borders risking life and limb every day? Hispanics have been advantaged in this country by the racist policies of affirmative action, and she has been further advantaged by being a woman and getting to double dip with affirmative action. What the hell is "oppressive" about that? The only people oppressed de jure in this country are whites, particularly males, (and in some states, like California, asians).
    So, you would rather be a latina woman than a white male, I take it, because latina women have it, ummm, so good. Whatever, if you believe that you would rather be that, then you are delusional.

    In any case, arguing about whether they actually are oppressed is beside the point. The point is that she perceives them as both oppressed and views that oppression as an opportunity to gain wisdom. All you are accomplishing by arguing that they're not oppressed is depriving her of her claim to wisdom, not establishing that she is racist.



    What you say is even worse, being racist and playing the victim card all in one shot.
    So, stating that one has been oppressed due to racism and chauvinism and that one has gained wisdom thereby is racist? And how is it 'playing a victim'? Can you arrange the matter into a step by step formally logical argument so that I can follow your reasoning... I must be too dense to see it on my own.
    Last edited by Dezaad; 05-29-09 at 02:40 PM.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: White House urged to address 'racist' charge

    Oppressed groups of people have opportunities to gain wisdom that other groups are not presented with. It's as simple as that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •