Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 225

Thread: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

  1. #71
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Umm, it could be that how Petreaus was treated was one of the biggest scandals last year and the two are now permanently tied together...

    Or it could be because we still trust in Petreaus's opinions and so there is really nothing to discuss here except how those who don't trust in his opinions feel about it.

    Why are you so uncomfortable talking about it if they don't really speak for you?
    It was hardly the biggest scandal of last year. it was a week long at best scandal, and the add was pretty much universally condemned. End of story.

    Now some one both you on the right respect, and alot of us on the left respect(we are not pinko commie fascist America hating fags all the time you know), says something you on the right disagree with, and you all go after an old add that has nothing to do with the topic of discussion.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by gree0232 View Post
    It is speculation based on what has been released in the press and was in Obama's last speech.

    Again, detailed plans about sensitive issues are not exactly posted on the internet, nor should they be. That they aren't doesn't mean that a plan doesn't exist.

    Did you see the orders that changed Iraq? I did, they are nevertheless classified and I cannot release them to you.

    Must not be a plan then?
    What a laughable argument you attempt; but the TRUTH is that there really is no Obama "plan" as of this date to close Gitmo therefore, contrary to the false premise of the thread, Petreaus was not "endorsing" said non-existent plan because it does not currently exist.

    Am I correct or not?

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It was hardly the biggest scandal of last year. it was a week long at best scandal,
    Well that right there highlights a fundamental difference in how the left and the right think about the treatment of our military heroes...

  4. #74
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    You said:



    That looks to imply that the left are kooks. I fully admit there are kooks on the left, and on the right. I have also repeatedly complained that we should not hold all of the left, nor the right, responsible for those kooks. I find it sad when you, or anyone, decides to dodge an issue by bringing up something one of those kooks does.



    Read it again... I spelled out which specific leftists I was refering to. Those would be the Kook leftists....


    There are kook righties as well just so you know.


    You now are building a strawman. I have clearly explained where you failed to comprehend my very clear statement brother.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #75
    Banned gree0232's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    All over
    Last Seen
    12-30-09 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,341

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Yet, his vocal opposition was from democrats. I do love to read these fairy tales you create in an effort to diminish the sordid behavior of the democrats toward Petreaus by making it seem as if Republicans were doing the same. Entertaining. Really.
    Well, considering GEN Petreaus simply ignored it, much the same way democrats have moved beyond the catigation of those who said, "Heh, ummm, torture is a bad thing!", and were called traitors and worse for daring to say that when it happened.

    Even McCain took flak from his party for making that distinction.

    What is clear is that, before GEN Petreaus, we were doing the wrong things, we were failing, and after GEN Petreaus briefed the facts in his usual professional manner the majority of both parties got behind them.

    Again, dredging this up is about making GEN Petreaus 'ours'. From his own mouth, he is neither. He is America's.

    Sorry that doesn't help either party. I am sorry he didn't come along sooner and have to pull us back from the brink before thousands died needlessly, but he came alongwhen he did and he survived the purging of generals under Rumsfeld. Thank God.

    By the way, Rummy still fully claims the Republican party as his own.

  6. #76
    Banned gree0232's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    All over
    Last Seen
    12-30-09 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    1,341

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    What a laughable argument you attempt; but the TRUTH is that there really is no Obama "plan" as of this date to close Gitmo therefore, contrary to the false premise of the thread, Petreaus was not "endorsing" said non-existent plan because it does not currently exist.

    Am I correct or not?
    Well, having worked with GEN Petreaus, let me be VERY clear. He will not come out in support, even in a general way, on something that was haphazard and ill concieved.

    So, either GEN PEtreaus is a complete idiot, or there is some kind of deliberate planning and decisin making process going on.

    Again, how do you provide specific details about such things as facilities when the cases are still being adjudicated and we do not know how many will be rendered to trail, released, returned to their home countries, etc.?

    Each of these prisoners will require his own plan, and only those who are retained in custody for trail will have general, centralized planning that you are demanding.

    That these delineations are being made, mentioned in the press and in Obama's speech, is very much indicative of a deliberate planning process.

    If you still don't think so? Well, I would say you are after something else at this point.

  7. #77
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,335
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Well that right there highlights a fundamental difference in how the left and the right think about the treatment of our military heroes...
    Woah there. I, and many of us on the left, found the add disgraceful. It is also the same kind of thing that Rush, Newt and Coulter say about those of us on the left, so spare me your outrage until you start to challenge what those say. Outrage only when it is convenient is incredibly phony.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I find the bolded part amusing; as if Obama will suffer political ramifications for not implementing the radical Left wings agenda. What are they going to do, fire him? Elect a Republican?
    Obama's actions will define his Presidency and be the ultimate deciding factor if the American people choose to re-elect him for a second term. I don't see how this is hard to understand.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  9. #79
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    I womder:
    How many of the liberals that slandered General Betray-us feel pretty stupid right now...?

  10. #80
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    What a laughable argument you attempt; but the TRUTH is that there really is no Obama "plan" as of this date to close Gitmo therefore, contrary to the false premise of the thread, Petreaus was not "endorsing" said non-existent plan because it does not currently exist.

    Am I correct or not?
    What Petraeus is endorsing is the idea that GITMO should be closed. Obama has the "plan" to close GITMO and even requested funds. What I have failed to see, which I see as a negative on Obama's part, is a detailed plan on HOW to close GITMO and what funds will specifically be needed. It's great to say "Gitmo should be closed and I need money to do it", but what is needed is exactly HOW gitmo should be closed and WHERE exactly funds will be needed and spent.

    This is exactly why the Democrats in the senate denied is funding. Obama failed to provide a detailed plan of HOW and only continuously states WHY.
    Last edited by Gibberish; 05-29-09 at 04:30 PM.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •