Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 225

Thread: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

  1. #111
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,464

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    The General never endorsed anything. Why do you keep making this false statement?
    Sure he has. He has endorsed the current direction and planning to close GITMO.
    *insert profound statement here*

  2. #112
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Dude, you should never link so much vileness in one post. You know the rules! The ****in' server is probably gonna go down now.




    I do feel soooo dirty.,..... I think I posted WND the other day in the rape thread....



    Dirty dirty!
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  3. #113
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Moderator's Warning:
    Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End TortureThis thread is about Petraeus's statements, and the reaction to said statements. While yes, the OP was specifically addressing Republicans, thread drift to a general "how do you think [x] people will react to this" is perfectly reasonable and NOT a derail. However, continued one line complaining of people being "off topic" simply because the thread is discussing the OP in a way you don't like IS derailing and trolling, and should not occur beyond this point.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    You're being very dishonest yet again. General Petraeus is clearly endorsing Obama's decision to move forward with planning for the close of GITMO. He's obviously been brought into the loop on what's been accomplished thus far and he approves. You can attempt to spin this all you want, but it's not fooling anyone. You aren't making an actual argument, you're playing semantics (it's not yet a plan, it's it's a process not a plan) in order to avoid the real story here. And that is that General Petraeus is in agreement with President Obama about closing the camp. And that is a very good thing. That is an endorsement of the Presidents direction on the matter.

    For the record, what Moveon.org did to General Petraeus was shameful. It was more than shameful, it was disgusting. But they don't represent all Democrats. They do absurd things in the name of the Democratic party and liberals but they in no way have every Democrats support. They like to pretend they do however.

    I'm pleasantly surprised by his comments to say the least. Now, I want to see the administration actually close GITMO.
    How ironic you claiming that I am the one being dishonest; when it is actually YOU who are attempting to be dishonest by not addressing the FALSE premise of the thread and what were contained in the article.

    There is no "spin" here other than more contortions from people like you who are desperately trying to assert that; (1) some kind of "plan" to close Gitmo exists, which it doesn't; and (2) that Petreaus somehow endorses this non-existent plan with his comments.

    You may want to go back to the beginning where I even cut and pasted his comments and refer to them specifically before jumping into the middle of the debate on your "cell phone" and attempting to claim I am somehow "spinning" the debate.

    I am specifically addressing the false premise of the thread and the contents of the article. YOU, on the other hand are attempting to jump to a false conclusion that Petreaus is somehow endorsing a plan that does not exist.

    Specifically, nothing contained in Petreaus comments specifically relates to the prisoners at Guantanamo other than stating that it must be a "carefully" thought out plan and methodical and not RUSHED into. Sounds just like Bush to me.

    Here is the original partisan trolling premise as presented by the Liberal thread author:

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    So here we have the Republicans favorite General endorsing The Presidents plan to close Gitmo. In fact he says "I think, sends an important message to the world, as does the commitment of the United States to observe the Geneva Convention when it comes to the treatment of detainees."
    I'm curious to hear what the torture deniers have to say about this Four Star General's comments reguarding closing Gitmo and His Endorsment of President Obama?

    Do they still support this troop?
    And this is my response:

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    First off, there is no Obama PLAN as of THIS date. The argument that there is a plan is speculative at best.

    That stated Petraeus did not endorse ANYTHING because there is NOTHING to be endorsed. But let is examine what he DID say:

    "I think, on balance, that those moves help [us]," said the chief of U.S. Central Command. "In fact, I have long been on record as having testified and also in helping write doctrine for interrogation techniques that are completely in line with the Geneva Convention. And as a division commander in Iraq in the early days, we put out guidance very early on to make sure that our soldiers, in fact, knew that we needed to stay within those guidelines.

    In other words, things that are in line with the GENEVA CONVENTION. But the case of the prisoners at Guantanamo are not under these conventions as they are NON-UNIFORMED ENEMY COMBATANTS. What part of this do Liberals continue to NOT understand.

    Secondly, there is NOTHING in the above statement endorsing anything that hasn’t ALWAYS been endorsed and even part of the Bush Administrations guidance. This is about how the MILITARY handles prisoners of war and its detainees.

    Abu Ghraib was an example how some will break this code and subsequently be prosecuted for it.

    "With respect to Guantanamo," Petraeus added, "I think that the closure in a responsible manner, obviously one that is certainly being worked out now by the Department of Justice -- I talked to the Attorney General the other day [and] they have a very intensive effort ongoing to determine, indeed, what to do with the detainees who are left, how to deal with them in a legal way, and if continued incarceration is necessary -- again, how to take that forward. But doing that in a responsible manner, I think, sends an important message to the world, as does the commitment of the United States to observe the Geneva Convention when it comes to the treatment of detainees."

    Let’s be clear; closing it in a RESPONSIBLE manner. Nothing new here and in line with comments made by Bush during his Presidency.

    But let me emphasize, Petraeus is NOT talking about the detainees when he argues for observing the Geneva Conventions. They do not represent uniformed soldiers of Governments who are “party” to the Conventions and therefore do not fall under them.

    So what this article represents is an enormous red herring for the quacks hysterically trying to claim that Bush/Cheney are war criminals and that the US was criminally negligent in its use of “enhanced” interrogation methods that do NOT meet the definition of torture by the Geneva Conventions OR the United Nations.
    Carry on.

  5. #115
    Advisor NDNdancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    On the Edge
    Last Seen
    03-12-12 @ 12:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    523

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    This document is a request for a REVIEW. The word REVIEW appears throughout the document. A REVIEW is not a PLAN by any stretch of the imagination unless you are a partisan desperately grasping at straws.
    Actually, it's an Executive Order, which has the force of law. If you note the date it was signed, it's clear you couldn't have actually expected a full bore plan? I know you have faith in Obama's abilities, but two days is a stretch, even for him.

    Now, before they can proceed, the reviews of the detainees have to be completed. With over 300 detainees, I'm thinking that might take some time. They won't know what needs to be done next until they know the case against each detainee and the status of that case.

    Obama was premature in going to congress so soon for the funding, a minor "cart before the horse" procedural blunder. It was also the Dem's way to flex a little and show Obama some muscle in a relatively minor way that didn't cost him or them.

    You went on for 12 pages on this debate over one word, slapping yourselves on the back over "plan". Congratulations.... brilliant debating style.

    Next time, why don't we do hanging participles eh?..... Only let's not go on for 12 pages, deal?
    I am a Tiki Bar Tarte, do you really think you can Tango with me?!?
    "A Nation is not defeated, until the hearts of it's women lay on the ground" Tsitisisis (Cheyenne) saying

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    the leftists, remember that ad? Remember the vitriol against him, it was sickening...


    Now they want to chum up to him?
    Yeah, it kinda works like this: when the dog ****s on the carpet you say "bad doggy" and when he chases off the burglar you say "good doggy". Just because the dog **** on the carpet doesn't mean the dog is forever worthless.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote:Originally Posted by Truth Detector
    Looking at the article which was posted to support the false premise that Petreaus endorses Obamas plan, because no plan currently exists, I would argue that this is wild speculation on your part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    And you would be very incorrect, both factually and logically.

    Thanks for playing.

    Why is that, because you say so? Sorry dude, that trite and intellectually lacking kind of response doesn't wash. But hey, it's all you ever have when it comes to FACTS and LOGIC.

    Got substance?

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    12-02-09 @ 05:13 PM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,695

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Truth Detector insists writing nonsense responses over parcing words.

    Supporting----endorsing.....Salad bar....

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    I did notice you were the very first in this thread to refer to him a "Betrayus".

    Is that some sideways shister way of not calling him a traitor?

    Please link those "KOOKS" who are now sucking up to him?

    Are you sure it's not just a figment of a wild partisian imagination?
    I'm pretty sure, if you have read the thread and are instead not simply deciding to jump on reverend immedietely simply to bash and flame him, that you would notice that he used the term to specifically allude to the MoveOn.org ad put out about Petraeus. The use of that name was because, as that being what they called him, he was wondering if they will now cozy up to the man they called "Betrayus".

    Either you didn't take the time to read the rest of the thread to get the context (possibly, understandably, immedietely responding to Rev's post) OR you're just simply grasping at something and twisting it completely out of context to attack and bash on Reverend.

    The context he was doing it was very clear. Much as your original question was asking about the republicans reaction, I think its equally interesting to see how democrats that were adversarial to Petraeus now react.

    Personally, I still have great respect for the man. I question now personally, as I did then, how much is his true feelings and how much of it is a good soldier that does not want to part ways with the CIC. That said, there's not a LOT different truly that Obama is doing in regards to GITMO currently that Bush was doing and for the most part there's no definitive "Plan" for Petraeus to be "endorsing".

    To me, there's a good chance for hypocracy on both sides....to see if Republicans that used to cheer him will suddenly say he's unpatriotic or against the troops, and to see if Democrats that used to deride him will suddenly make him out to be the greatest military mind ever.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Petraeus Endorses Obama's Plans To Close GITMO, End Torture

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    I don't remember the ad, so I was at a loss to interpret your comments.

    Moveon.org is one of the most lunatic organizations in the history of this country, so I try not to pay much attention to them.

    In fact, I fully credit them with my decision to vote for Bush in 2004. Their mudslinging idiocy completely alienated me from their ideas.
    I would say they are a runner up to the swiftvets.com
    I guess you agree with them since they didn't sway you to vote democrat. I don't remember a "dirty-underhanded-lie-filled-attack" being named after moveon.org but I seem to remember hearing people say "dude, you got swiftboated".

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •