Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 409

Thread: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

  1. #81
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,362
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by FlappyTheKinkajou View Post
    Somebody did.
    Then quote them and criticize them. Don't quote me and claim I said things I did not. I give those I disagree with all sorts of ammo, no need to make up stuff.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    No, if she was actually making racist remarks I would be the first to call on her to remove herself from consideration. I do not stand-by for second rate cherry picking of facts to simply rouse a base. Especially on a forum that I thought was for intelligent discussion. I can get these arguments on any spin channel.
    Stating that a female hispanic is better suited to making judicial decisions than a white male is not a racist remark?

    Is that because anti-white racism isn't really racism, or is it just that anti-male chauvinism isn't really prejudiced?

    Do we really want a prejudiced judge?

  3. #83
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by FlappyTheKinkajou View Post
    It sounds to me like you do. You claim that different standards for different people are acceptable.
    No, I avocate looking at the full record to make an informed decision. If a person is claiming they have been victim to racism, so are better able to understand race cases than those who have not, then I want to know that rather than chop the quote to I am better suited because I am ethnic.

    If a white guy said I am better suited at something because of a unique experience, then that would be fine as well.

    In regards to her comments, I will say that I do feel that her experience is irrelevant as she is to measure such cases against the Constitution and the law, not to measure them against her personal experiences. Now that is a valid criticism.

  4. #84
    Advisor FlappyTheKinkajou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-09 @ 07:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    406

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    No, I avocate looking at the full record to make an informed decision. If a person is claiming they have been victim to racism, so are better able to understand race cases than those who have not, then I want to know that rather than chop the quote to I am better suited because I am ethnic.

    If a white guy said I am better suited at something because of a unique experience, then that would be fine as well.

    In regards to her comments, I will say that I do feel that her experience is irrelevant as she is to measure such cases against the Constitution and the law, not to measure them against her personal experiences. Now that is a valid criticism.
    That is bull****.
    Let's figure it out.

  5. #85
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by FlappyTheKinkajou View Post
    That is bull****.
    Good point. Deep thinker I see.

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Oh come on, he mentioned it briefly, in passing. She talked about in in response to a question I believe. Spinning that into an obsession is a cheap tactic.
    During a Democratic primary debate on Nov. 15, 2007, Obama was asked whether he would insist that any nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court supported abortion rights for women:

    _ "I would not appoint somebody who doesn't believe in the right to privacy. ... I taught constitutional law for 10 years, and when you look at what makes a great Supreme Court justice, it's not just the particular issue and how they ruled. But it's their conception of the court. And part of the role of the court is that it is going to protect people who may be vulnerable in the political process, the outsider, the minority, those who are vulnerable, those who don't have a lot of clout. ... Sometimes we're only looking at academics or people who've been in the courts. If we can find people who have life experience, and they understand what it means to be on the outside, what it means to have the system not work for them, that's the kind of person I want on the Supreme Court."
    Completely reads to me like we're looking for a minority.

    During a July 17, 2007, appearance at a Planned Parenthood conference:

    _ "We need somebody who's got the heart to recognize _ the empathy to recognize what it's like to be a young teenage mom. The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor or African-American or gay or disabled or old. And that's the criteria by which I'm going to be selecting my judges."
    Again read we need a minority.

    She was the perfect pick for Obama because not only is she a minority but she's a minority who understands inherently that being a minority makes her a better judge.

    Quotes from Obama on Supreme Court nominees - wtop.com

    I think "obsession" is fair. Given that the one thing we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt was that Obama was not going to appoint a white man. We also knew there was a really really good chance they were going to look for a Hispanic.

    We are obsessed with race/minorities at the highest levels of our government. It is sad. We will never get past it if they insist on making it the issue at every turn.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    No, I avocate looking at the full record to make an informed decision. If a person is claiming they have been victim to racism, so are better able to understand race cases than those who have not, then I want to know that rather than chop the quote to I am better suited because I am ethnic.

    If a white guy said I am better suited at something because of a unique experience, then that would be fine as well.

    In regards to her comments, I will say that I do feel that her experience is irrelevant as she is to measure such cases against the Constitution and the law, not to measure them against her personal experiences. Now that is a valid criticism.
    According to Obama the nominee needs to be someone who looks to their heart.

    in those difficult cases, the critical ingredient is supplied by what is in the judge's heart."
    Hopefully a minority heart as white men have defunct hearts and no experience worth a ****.

    Quotes from Obama on Supreme Court nominees - wtop.com

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    According to Obama the nominee needs to be someone who looks to their heart.



    Hopefully a minority heart as white men have defunct hearts and no experience worth a ****.

    Quotes from Obama on Supreme Court nominees - wtop.com
    You need an eye rolly with that.

  9. #89
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Completely reads to me like we're looking for a minority.

    Again read we need a minority.

    She was the perfect pick for Obama because not only is she a minority but she's a minority who understands inherently that being a minority makes her a better judge.

    Quotes from Obama on Supreme Court nominees - wtop.com

    I think "obsession" is fair. Given that the one thing we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt was that Obama was not going to appoint a white man. We also knew there was a really really good chance they were going to look for a Hispanic.

    We are obsessed with race/minorities at the highest levels of our government. It is sad. We will never get past it if they insist on making it the issue at every turn.
    Point well made. There should not be a race litmus test. Of course there should be no litmus for abortion or gay marriage stance either.

  10. #90
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,362
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Completely reads to me like we're looking for a minority.

    Again read we need a minority.

    She was the perfect pick for Obama because not only is she a minority but she's a minority who understands inherently that being a minority makes her a better judge.

    Quotes from Obama on Supreme Court nominees - wtop.com

    I think "obsession" is fair. Given that the one thing we knew beyond a shadow of a doubt was that Obama was not going to appoint a white man. We also knew there was a really really good chance they were going to look for a Hispanic.

    We are obsessed with race/minorities at the highest levels of our government. It is sad. We will never get past it if they insist on making it the issue at every turn.
    You are spinning a couple statements, out of thousands in the time frame you reference, into an obsession.

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •