Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 409

Thread: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

  1. #371
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Couple things. She was not even a consideration for the SC when she made the comment, she was in the appeals court system. Her comments as I understood them where in reference to civil rights cases, where she feels her experiences due to gender and ethnicity give her more insight on the issue.
    Indeed, but it is much more relevant if she were running for Congress.

    When these cases come up, all she has to do is see if they fit the established and original meanings of the laws and constitutions. I'm not sure where her latino, female experience will be greatly relevant to that? Only if they are a tiny bit out of whack with these but very close can she make a small interpretation so as to close the gap and even in such a rare situation I cannot see how it is of the greatest relevance that she has had this experience.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  2. #372
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    When he said he took it into account that meant he added it to his decisions, there is no spinning around that.

    You take it differently because he was a Bush appointee and you are conservative. that is your fault, not mine.

    All you cared about it if they are conservative.
    Since you say it, it must be true. In fact I think the more you say it the more true it becomes.

  3. #373
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    This debate clearly shows the difference between the philosophy of the left and the right.

    The left values diversity and believes that our nation is enriched by varying viewpoints and life experiences.

    The right believes that old white men make the best decisions.

    Obama was brilliant in this pick because the right-wing is gonna make the GOP more and more of a regional irrelevant party.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #374
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    This debate clearly shows the difference between the philosophy of the left and the right.

    The left values diversity and believes that our nation is enriched by varying viewpoints and life experiences.

    The right believes that old white men make the best decisions.

    Obama was brilliant in this pick because the right-wing is gonna make the GOP more and more of a regional irrelevant party.
    Yes that was exactly my argument.

  5. #375
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    This debate clearly shows the difference between the philosophy of the left and the right.

    The left values diversity and believes that our nation is enriched by varying viewpoints and life experiences.

    The right believes that old white men make the best decisions.

    Obama was brilliant in this pick because the right-wing is gonna make the GOP more and more of a regional irrelevant party.
    Personally it is the left I would have marked out as more likely to be universalist and for uniformity rather than for diversity, the supporting of "oppressed" minorities to get privileges and special treatment not withstanding.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  6. #376
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Since you say it, it must be true. In fact I think the more you say it the more true it becomes.
    Once again, remind me not to piss you off.

  7. #377
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Since you say it, it must be true. In fact I think the more you say it the more true it becomes.
    No more than the more you say it, it must be true.

    WE have different views on what has been said.

    But I do have to point out some differences.

    YOU think Alito was a good choice and Obama's choice bad.

    I think BOTH were bad choices. That says a lot about you more than me in that you accept the racism of Bush's Appointee but not Obama's.
    Last edited by TheNextEra; 05-30-09 at 01:10 AM.

  8. #378
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    No more than the more you say it, it must be true.

    WE have different views on what has been said.

    But I do have to point out some differences.

    YOU think Alito was a good choice and Obama's choice bad.

    I think BOTH were bad choices. That says a lot about you more than me in that you accept the racism of Bush's Appointee but not Obama's.
    But I think I at least try to support my assertions in depth. I didn't support Harriet Miers either because I believed she was a homophobe.

  9. #379
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    Personally it is the left I would have marked out as more likely to be universalist and for uniformity rather than for diversity, the supporting of "oppressed" minorities to get privileges and special treatment not withstanding.
    Between Limbaugh and this....The right-wing/GOP are showing their true color.
    Last edited by disneydude; 05-30-09 at 01:28 AM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #380
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    The right-wing/GOP are showing their true color.
    Is this an argument?

    A lot in the left today seem to be obsessed with minorities they consider "oppressed" and getting state privileges and intervention to aid them at the expense of the rest of society.
    Last edited by Wessexman; 05-30-09 at 01:31 AM.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •