Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 409

Thread: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

  1. #311
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    This is really much ado about nothing....but I'm loving the fact that the GOP continues to dig their grave deeper and deeper....

    The statement was made in the context of the historical nature of the court dealing with GENDER discrimination. If ANYTHING it was a sexist comment more than a racial one.

    What she was saying was that the Court had never ruled in favor of a woman in a gender discrimination case and was stating that this is why diversity on the court is important, because being a latina women she would have a better perspective of what it going on in that context than a white male....and you know what....she is absolutely right which is again exactly WHY diversity is important.

    However...I would love the right-wing to derail this nomination.....I'm fine with her...but I would love to see a true liberal nominated. Unlikely....but we can all hope.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #312
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    This is really much ado about nothing....but I'm loving the fact that the GOP continues to dig their grave deeper and deeper....

    The statement was made in the context of the historical nature of the court dealing with GENDER discrimination. If ANYTHING it was a sexist comment more than a racial one.

    What she was saying was that the Court had never ruled in favor of a woman in a gender discrimination case and was stating that this is why diversity on the court is important, because being a latina women she would have a better perspective of what it going on in that context than a white male....and you know what....she is absolutely right which is again exactly WHY diversity is important.

    However...I would love the right-wing to derail this nomination.....I'm fine with her...but I would love to see a true liberal nominated. Unlikely....but we can all hope.
    Unless something we don't know about comes out before the confirmation hearing, she is going to be confirmed. Notice how no senate republican is taking any serious shots at her. Rush, Newt, Coltier, Tancredo, but not much in the way of senate republicans. This is mostly loud noise and trying to score a few political points.

  3. #313
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Unless something we don't know about comes out before the confirmation hearing, she is going to be confirmed. Notice how no senate republican is taking any serious shots at her. Rush, Newt, Coltier, Tancredo, but not much in the way of senate republicans. This is mostly loud noise and trying to score a few political points.
    I agree. However, the GOP continues to be their own worst enemy. You talk about attempting to "score points"....they are doing just the opposite.

    You talk about no senate republicans taking any serious shots at her....its because they are powerless these days. The leaders of the GOP today are Limbaugh and his crew...and the more talking they do, the better it is for us.
    I hope they continue to snowball this....I really do.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    This is really much ado about nothing....
    Of course it is. How could anyone ever dare to question Obamessiah's pick for the highest court of the land.

  5. #315
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Of course it is. How could anyone ever dare to question Obamessiah's pick for the highest court of the land.
    Question her all that you like. I have no issue with that. I just think that this particular "ammunition" is really silly when taken in the context of what was said.

    Like I said....trying to make it a "racist" statement is a real stretch. Its much more of a sexist one because she is really saying that women are in a better position of understanding what a female plaintiff in a gender discimination suit might have gone through than men. Its just the GOP playing the race card....that's all.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #316
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I agree. However, the GOP continues to be their own worst enemy. You talk about attempting to "score points"....they are doing just the opposite.

    You talk about no senate republicans taking any serious shots at her....its because they are powerless these days. The leaders of the GOP today are Limbaugh and his crew...and the more talking they do, the better it is for us.
    I hope they continue to snowball this....I really do.
    I think that Rush and Tancredo are hurting republicans in this. Rush saying today that to get promoted in the Obama administration you have to hate white people, that can only hurt republicans.

    There are people, some of them republican, who really think she is a bad nominee. I disagree, and am mystified as to their reason, it makes no sense to me, but I can at least respect that, but it's the over the top stuff that is hurting the party. Accusations like the "socialist yearbook quote" do serve to make republicans look foolish.
    Last edited by Redress; 05-29-09 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling chekcer only works when I look at it

  7. #317
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think that Rush and Tancredo are hurting republicans in this. Rush saying today that to get promoted in the Obama administration you have to hate white people, that can only hurt republicans.

    There are people, some of them republican, who really think she is a bad nominee. I disagree, and am mystified as to their reason, it makes no sense, but I can at least respect that, but it's the over the top stuff that is hirting the party. Accusations like the "socialist yearbook quote" do serve to make republicans look foolish.
    Look....Rush is right. The GOP is the party of old white men and radical right-wing evangelicals. Rush is simply explaining to everyone else why they do not belong in his party.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #318
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:00 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Look....Rush is right. The GOP is the party of old white men and radical right-wing evangelicals. Rush is simply explaining to everyone else why they do not belong in his party.
    Except I know some republicans who are neither, and pretty damn good people to boot. I think we have to avoid demonizing the other side. leave that to those we despise.

  9. #319
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Except I know some republicans who are neither, and pretty damn good people to boot. I think we have to avoid demonizing the other side. leave that to those we despise.
    I just hate everybody.

  10. #320
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Except I know some republicans who are neither, and pretty damn good people to boot. I think we have to avoid demonizing the other side. leave that to those we despise.
    There are a few....but more and more they are leaving the party too.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •