Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 409

Thread: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

  1. #211
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by TheHat View Post
    Gender and ethnicity have no greater value then the other gender or ethnic group in the eyes of the law, unless, UNLESS, Congress passes legislation making it so, like AA or giving illegal aliens in state tuition. The eyes of justice should be blind to all genders and ethnic groups, neither of those should be in play when deciding the outcome.

    Its that simple.
    Except that judges do rule differently based on gender and ethnicity. As long as that is the case, then diversity is something of value.

  2. #212
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Except that judges do rule differently based on gender and ethnicity. As long as that is the case, then diversity is something of value.
    cacophony has no value.

    do the females rule according to the law of the Constitution?

    Not really. They have "empathy" according to The Messiah. If their rulings were consistent with the Constitution, they wouldn't need "empathy".

    Also, an all male court ruled, incorrectly, that abortion was a right of women found in the Constitution that no one had ever seen before and that no one has yet been able to find. Would having a "diverse" court caused the court to rule correctly on that issue instead?

    An all white court ruled that the Separate But Equal policy (approved by an earlier court) was unconstitutional. Would a "diverse" court have come to a different decision?

    What I'm pointing out, in case you missed it, is that "diversity" as a goal is purest bull****. What's needed in an Appellate judge or a Supreme Court judge is the ability to interpret the law in a manner consistent with the Constitution, and a latina vagina does not endow it's wearer with any special abilities in that regard.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 05-28-09 at 04:32 PM.

  3. #213
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I did not come away from her speech with that impression. She contradicted herself a few times, often enough I felt it was intentional. She is questioning alot of conventional wisdom on both sides, those who think that race/gender is irrelevant, and those who think it is highly relevant. She is saying as I read it that race/gender play a part in how judges rule, but that does not mean that race/gender is a requirement to rule wisely.
    MHO is race shouldn't even be mentioned, it's just gotten so old already. I'd say she brought it up cause she wants everybody to know she's Latino. I honestly thought she was Asian at first.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

  4. #214
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn Monroe View Post
    MHO is race shouldn't even be mentioned, it's just gotten so old already. I'd say she brought it up cause she wants everybody to know she's Latino. I honestly thought she was Asian at first.
    She was speaking at an annual lecture on diversity on the bench. How would you expert her to not bring up her gender or ethnicity?

  5. #215
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    And I say she is wrong .Heritage??? Please. She is absolutely supposed to deny heritage, skin color, etc. She is not supposed to look at a man and have sympathies, prejudices, etc based on heritage, skin color, etc. IT IS ENTIRELY INAPPROPRIATE ALWAYS. The fact that she willingly accepts that she will do this, -offer sympathies based on heritage,- is horrifyingly unacceptable.
    It is disturbingly ironic that those who presumably celebrate the efforts of such notables as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., to eliminate racism and prejudice, should so blithely disregard the standard elucidated by Dr. King--of judging not by the color of skin but by the content of character--and raise the color of their skin as an especial qualification for judging the character of others.

  6. #216
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    She was speaking at an annual lecture on diversity on the bench. How would you expert her to not bring up her gender or ethnicity?
    In such a circumstance, she should. She should have said this:

    "I am a Latina--a woman of Puerto Rican origin. It has no bearing on how I interpret the law or how I decide cases."

    Anything beyond that is a deviation from sound jurisprudence.

  7. #217
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    In such a circumstance, she should. She should have said this:

    "I am a Latina--a woman of Puerto Rican origin. It has no bearing on how I interpret the law or how I decide cases."

    Anything beyond that is a deviation from sound jurisprudence.
    Then let me go back a step for you, since you jumped in late here. Are you denying her claim that it is documented that judges do rule differently based on race and sex? Do you think it does, or does not happen?

  8. #218
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Then let me go back a step for you, since you jumped in late here. Are you denying her claim that it is documented that judges do rule differently based on race and sex? Do you think it does, or does not happen?
    I have no idea, personally. If it does, where it does, it is in contravention of justice and of the rule of law.

    Saying that it does and saying that it is good that it does are two different propositions. Sotomayor takes the latter stance, to her shame and disrepute.

  9. #219
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    I have no idea, personally. If it does, where it does, it is in contravention of justice and of the rule of law.

    Saying that it does and saying that it is good that it does are two different propositions. Sotomayor takes the latter stance, to her shame and disrepute.
    That is a misrepresentation of her position. Have you read the whole speech? It's kinda interesting. Her argument as I read it is that, if you look at rulings, there is a difference based on race and gender, that therefore it is of value to have diversity and people of nonwhite male backgrounds in the courts.

    She also says quite clearly, and in fact in the paragraph right after the controversial comment from the speech, that white men are capable of making very wise decisions.

  10. #220
    Professor
    Marilyn Monroe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Last Seen
    03-06-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,137

    Re: W.H. to Sotomayor critics: Be 'careful'

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I did not come away from her speech with that impression. She contradicted herself a few times, often enough I felt it was intentional. She is questioning alot of conventional wisdom on both sides, those who think that race/gender is irrelevant, and those who think it is highly relevant. She is saying as I read it that race/gender play a part in how judges rule, but that does not mean that race/gender is a requirement to rule wisely.
    Yes, I see that now.
    "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." Woody Allen.

Page 22 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •