Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 64

Thread: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

  1. #21
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    If it means the dismantling of the IRS, then I am all for a national sales tax.
    The flat tax idea, me too.

    This however would not be such an animal and you know it.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #22
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    And there you are, cheering him on saying "More please sir, tax me more sir".
    Not exactly, no. I am just laughing at people who complain no matter what.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Not exactly, no. I am just laughing at people who complain no matter what.

    Is that what you think I'm doing? Just.. complaining to complain?


    OOKKAAYY...
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  4. #24
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Is that what you think I'm doing? Just.. complaining to complain?


    OOKKAAYY...
    Have not seen any point to the complaining, so I think that is fair to say.

    You complain about the deficit. You complain when solutions are considered for the deficit.

  5. #25
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Have not seen any point to the complaining, so I think that is fair to say.

    You complain about the deficit. You complain when solutions are considered for the deficit.
    solutions?

    the solution is to only spend what you receive

    why isn't that one on the table?

  6. #26
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Have not seen any point to the complaining, so I think that is fair to say.

    You complain about the deficit. You complain when solutions are considered for the deficit.
    I offered solutions, a few posts back...

    Cut spending, and cut spending.

    See solves the budget issue and no need to further enslave us with taxes!
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #27
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I offered solutions, a few posts back...

    Cut spending, and cut spending.

    See solves the budget issue and no need to further enslave us with taxes!
    That is not politically realistic. The American people consistently elect presidents and congressmen who INCREASE spending. While the tax rate goes up and down depending on the political winds, the US federal budget has not shrunk a single time since 1965.

    That doesn't mean that you have to stop tilting against windmills; by all means, continue to oppose federal spending if that's what you believe. But in the meantime, let's at least acknowledge the political reality that the American people PREFER a larger government than you do, and it isn't likely to shrink anytime soon.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #28
    cookies crumble
    ARealConservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-21-17 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,518

    Re: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    That is not politically realistic. The American people consistently elect presidents and congressmen who INCREASE spending. While the tax rate goes up and down depending on the political winds, the US federal budget has not shrunk a single time since 1965.

    That doesn't mean that you have to stop tilting against windmills; by all means, continue to oppose federal spending if that's what you believe. But in the meantime, let's at least acknowledge the political reality that the American people PREFER a larger government than you do, and it isn't likely to shrink anytime soon.
    we also consistently elect people that promise to not raise our taxes. It is not politically realistic to raise taxes - except on the minority that can't defend themselves at the polls of course.

    Modern Day liberalism in a nutshell right there. Use democracy to take advantage of groups without the strength to protect themselves from democracy.

  9. #29
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I offered solutions, a few posts back...

    Cut spending, and cut spending.

    See solves the budget issue and no need to further enslave us with taxes!
    You did, and I don't disagree with those solutions. In fact, you should find me saying things in favor of cutting spending if you look at my posting history. That does not mean that is the only route to a balanced budget, and complaining that the white house is looking at ways to fix something you complain about is silly.

  10. #30
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Once Considered Unthinkable, U.S. Sales Tax Gets Fresh Look

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    we also consistently elect people that promise to not raise our taxes.
    Nevertheless, those people DO raise taxes every now and then...and in many cases, are not punished by the voters for it. On the other hand, not one president or Congress has DARED to cut spending in a single budget since 1965. It has gotten larger every single year since then.

    That should tell you something about the relative importance of those two issues for most voters.

    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative
    Modern Day liberalism in a nutshell right there. Use democracy to take advantage of groups without the strength to protect themselves from democracy.
    Whining about the government's policies is not the same as changing them. The fact is that the government routinely spends more than it has, and the American people obviously prefer higher spending to lower taxes given the political history of the last few decades.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-27-09 at 08:53 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •