Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

  1. #1
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

    Found guilty of reckless homicide for letting sick daughter die
    (Updated 6:13 p.m. ET, Fri., May 22, 2009)

    WAUSAU, Wis. - A mother accused of praying instead of seeking medical help for her dying 11-year-old daughter was found guilty Friday of second-degree reckless homicide.

    A Marathon County jury deliberated for about four hours before convicting Leilani Neumann, 41, of rural Weston, of second-degree reckless homicide. The crime is punishable by up to 25 years in prison. No sentencing date was set and Neumann remained free on bond.

    Her daughter, Madeline Neumann, died of untreated diabetes March 23, 2008, surrounded by people praying for her. When she suddenly stopped breathing, her parents' business and Bible study partners finally called 911.

    Prosecutors said a reasonable parent would have known something was wrong with Madeline. They said her mother recklessly killed her by ignoring obvious symptoms, such as her inability to walk or talk.

    During closing arguments, Falstad described Neumann as a religious zealot who let her daughter, called Kara by her parents, die as a test of faith.
    "Basic medical care would have saved Kara's life fluids and insulin," Falstad said. "There was plenty of time to save Kara's life."

    Linehan said Neumann didn't realize her daughter was so ill and did all she could do to help, in line with the family's belief in faith-healing.
    He said Neumann was a devout Christian who prays about everything and took good care of her four children.
    Neumann's stepfather, Brian Gordon, said his stepdaughter did nothing wrong in trusting in God to heal her daughter.
    "We should have that right in this country,"
    he said.
    See: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

    So, all you people that think the decision to medically treat a child should lay in the power of the parents... was this mother right? Her decision to "pray her daughter back to health" killed her. Should someone have stepped in to force insulin into this little girl's veins... to save her life?
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  2. #2
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Found guilty of reckless homicide for letting sick daughter die
    (Updated 6:13 p.m. ET, Fri., May 22, 2009)





    See: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

    So, all you people that think the decision to medically treat a child should lay in the power of the parents... was this mother right? Her decision to "pray her daughter back to health" killed her. Should someone have stepped in to force insulin into this little girl's veins... to save her life?

    I think people who ignore getting their children critical life saving medical(not quack medicane/alternative medicine care) should be arrested and charged with murder.

    I believe in God,however God is not a vending machine and why on earth would God do something for you that you can do on your own,which in case of the story is call 911. Asking God to heal your child when there is a doctor you can take your child to is like asking God to give you a sandwich instead of going to your refrigerator to grab some bread, meat, cheese, peanutbutter, jelly and other things to make your sandwich.
    Last edited by jamesrage; 05-26-09 at 06:24 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

    This is what religion does to people. It makes them believe the unbelievable which gives them grounds to do and say the most ignorant things. ALL religious people suffer from this to one degree or another. This is just a moderately extreme example of such nuttery.

  4. #4
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    This is what religion does to people. It makes them believe the unbelievable which gives them grounds to do and say the most ignorant things. ALL religious people suffer from this to one degree or another. This is just a moderately extreme example of such nuttery.
    Someone who believes in the man made global warming fairy tale has absolutely no room what so ever to mock or bash people just because they believe in a supreme being. Oh no the world is over heating we got to increase taxes, buy carbon credits, recycle and make kids watch Al Gore's film or else the polar ice caps will melt and the world will flood.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    This is what religion does to people. It makes them believe the unbelievable which gives them grounds to do and say the most ignorant things. ALL religious people suffer from this to one degree or another. This is just a moderately extreme example of such nuttery.
    Moderately extreme? Dude, if I ever doubted your sense of perspective before...

  6. #6
    Legend in my own mind!
    MrFungus420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Midland, MI
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,018

    Re: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Someone who believes in the man made global warming fairy tale has absolutely no room what so ever to mock or bash people just because they believe in a supreme being. Oh no the world is over heating we got to increase taxes, buy carbon credits, recycle and make kids watch Al Gore's film or else the polar ice caps will melt and the world will flood.
    A discussion of a mother's irresponsible actions causing the death of a child, and you decide that this is the place to grind a political axe on a completely different subject.

    Completely lame...
    "And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit."
    - The Tick

  7. #7
    Educator Shep Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-19-10 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    911

    Re: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I think people who ignore getting their children critical life saving medical(not quack medicane/alternative medicine care) should be arrested and charged with murder.
    I disagree. This conviction will be overturned. It is unconstitutional. The first amendment prohibits any law interfering with the practice of one's religious beliefs.

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I believe in God,however God is not a vending machine and why on earth would God do something for you that you can do on your own,which in case of the story is call 911. Asking God to heal your child when there is a doctor you can take your child to is like asking God to give you a sandwich instead of going to your refrigerator to grab some bread, meat, cheese, peanutbutter, jelly and other things to make your sandwich.
    I find it interesting, and arrogant, that you believe that your personal beliefs are the only ones protected by the first amendment. You believe God isn't a vending machine, so therefore, any one who doesn't agree with you shouldn't have the right to believe the way they do. It's also interesting that you use the word "quack". This coming from someone who believes there is a giant, invisible, bearded man living in the sky.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote Benjamin Franklin

    I'm a Tiki Bar Tarte, wanna gnaw on my bone

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Shep Dawg View Post
    You believe God isn't a vending machine, so therefore, any one who doesn't agree with you shouldn't have the right to believe the way they do.
    You completely missed the point of the statement that "God isn't a vending machine".

  9. #9
    Educator Shep Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-19-10 @ 10:50 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    911

    Re: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    You completely missed the point of the statement that "God isn't a vending machine".
    Thanks, I believe I got the point. In fact I agree with him. However...Some people believe God is there to tend to their every need through prayer and divine intervention. They certainly have that right, even if I personally disagree.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote Benjamin Franklin

    I'm a Tiki Bar Tarte, wanna gnaw on my bone

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mother convicted in prayer-death trial

    Quote Originally Posted by Shep Dawg View Post
    Thanks, I believe I got the point. In fact I agree with him. However...Some people believe God is there to tend to their every need through prayer and divine intervention. They certainly have that right, even if I personally disagree.
    Ok, I see now.

    However, I think your rights end precisely where another person's rights begin. Meaning that this woman's rights to exercise her religion freely end where her child's right to live is put into danger.

    I'm glad they convicted the moonbat. She should fry for what she did to her daughter along with everyone in the room encouraging it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •