Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 518

Thread: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

  1. #361
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Jallman has already explained some of the inequalities in this thread.



    No you don't. If you did, you wouldn't oppose legal gay marriage. Your church can still do whatever it wants, and you'll still be free to tell your kids how immoral and disgusting gay people are.
    Exactly. I am going to say this...I recognize where all the Uncle Tom comments come from when directed toward me for defending both sides of this issue. I won't be doing it anymore. Whether I get to be a field nigger or a house nigger, at the end of the day, I am still nothing but a nigger to the anti-gm crowd. I refuse to accept that mantle anymore after this prop 8 thing.

  2. #362
    Guru
    FallingPianos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Last Seen
    08-11-13 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,341

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Are people really taking Jerry seriously?

    I mean, sometimes I'll debate him when I'm feeling squirrely, but for the most part I don't bother with people who are willfully ignorant.

  3. #363
    Hung like Einstein
    Singularity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Jerry;

    I went back and read the California Domestic Partnership law and it's subsequent amendments/additions, and it appears that California is, in fact, doing away with many of the inequalities. So many of the differences outlined in my post are currently being dealt with, or have been dealt with recently, by the California legislature.

    I would love to see homosexual marriage become a reality and accepted by most people. I'm not sure you see it the way I do, but in any case, thanks for your updates on California law. I think it would be awesome if somehow those of us in favor of homosexual marriage could make you see it our way, but if we can't, your opinion is your own and I respect it, even if I disagree with it.

    Take care and thanks again.

  4. #364
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Jallman has already explained some of the inequalities in this thread.
    And I've shot them down with credible sources.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    No you don't. If you did, you wouldn't oppose legal gay marriage.
    Separating the sociological fight from the legal fight requires that I separate them.

    The only difference between the 2 is a name, the only reason anyone gives a **** about that name is because of what it means within the culture, NOT what it means under law.

    Using a different name is how you give gays the legal rights without having to win the sociological battle at the same time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Your church can still do whatever it wants, and you'll still be free to tell your kids how immoral and disgusting gay people are.
    My church does what it wants because it denounces 501c3 status and opened a small business to pay the bills

  5. #365
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    And blacks and whites were each allowed to marry a member of their own race. Perfectly constitutional, right?
    But it was a racial discrimination where skin color dictated who you could or couldn't marry.

    This is gender discrimination which is rampant.

    So for arguments sake I suppose the courts could step in and declare there could be no gender discrimination in regards to marital pacts. They could then defend age discrimination in marital restrictions by arguing minors can't be legally bound by contracts. And those who wanted multiple marital partners would be grasping at straws in trying to find the label for the discrimination they were suffering.

    The only issue I see with this is that racial discrimination is never allowed anymore unless it's reverse racism and comes in the form of favoring ethnic groups.

    However gender discrimination is allowed and supported in a variety of arenas.

  6. #366
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,656

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Exactly. I am going to say this...I recognize where all the Uncle Tom comments come from when directed toward me for defending both sides of this issue. I won't be doing it anymore. Whether I get to be a field nigger or a house nigger, at the end of the day, I am still nothing but a nigger to the anti-gm crowd. I refuse to accept that mantle anymore after this prop 8 thing.
    Didn't a big majority of African Americans vote against gm?

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #367
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Didn't a big majority of African Americans vote against gm?
    That was so far from the point....

  8. #368
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Moderator's Warning:
    California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8 Please stay on topic and refrain from posting your innermost thoughts on specific posters.

  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    Exactly. I am going to say this...I recognize where all the Uncle Tom comments come from when directed toward me for defending both sides of this issue. I won't be doing it anymore. Whether I get to be a field nigger or a house nigger, at the end of the day, I am still nothing but a nigger to the anti-gm crowd. I refuse to accept that mantle anymore after this prop 8 thing.
    A nigger with 10 acres and a mule

  10. #370
    Guru
    FallingPianos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Last Seen
    08-11-13 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,341

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    However gender discrimination is allowed and supported in a variety of arenas.
    That needs to be fixed too.

    However, gender is usually considered a protected class, whether that actually happens in practice or not.

Page 37 of 52 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •