Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 518

Thread: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

  1. #351
    Guru
    FallingPianos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Last Seen
    08-11-13 @ 01:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,341

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    I just got back from one of the national protests against the proposition 8 ruling. About 150 people showed up in Portland, OR.

    Did anyone else go?

  2. #352
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    As a citizen of CA, you already have the right to visit and make medical decisions per existing Domestic Partnership law.

    You already have what you want. There's nothing left to fight for.
    Jerry:

    You keep representing yourself as someone who understands the complicated and convoluted domestic partnership laws when you obviously don't have a clue or are deliberately trying to misreprent the complicated legal issues in false support of your point.

    They're not even in the same ballpark. I'm married and the day we got the lisense certified, rights and priviliges were given to us without having to explain my relationship, filling out more papers, hiringing a lawyer, or going back to court.

    Stop and think about it. I filled out 1 single piece of paper and once it was signed and witnessed I instantly got over a thousand rights without question.

    If you want to continue in this thread then I suggest you get better informed about the CA domestic partnership laws and stop asking people to do your homework for you.

    Here's your homework: Domestic partnership in California

    BTW--you own me an apology for that sick abortion comment earlier.

    I await your apology.

    Regards,

    Your son.

    Seriously. Do your homework, then rejoin the discussion.

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by FallingPianos View Post
    I just got back from one of the national protests against the proposition 8 ruling. About 150 people showed up in Portland, OR.

    Did anyone else go?
    For the first time in my life, I stopped at a rally on my way home. I have to confess that I have been painfully removed from doing what is right in my effort to maintain a balance which simply does not exist.

    I will not continue to make the same mistake with the remainder of my life.

  4. #354
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    And blacks and whites were each allowed to marry a member of their own race. Perfectly constitutional, right?
    No, blacks could marry any other race...Asian, Latino, etc...and whites could marry any other race...Asian, Latino...etc...the ban was very spicific in that only blacks and whites could not marry.

    No such equivalent ban exists today.

  5. #355
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,450

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    well you thought wrong. but hey...if they really got it right the first three times, then there shouldn't be enough support to get it back on the ballot, huh?
    support schmort. All you need is money and media.
    Thank you

  6. #356
    Sage
    akyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    6,450

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by FallingPianos View Post
    I just got back from one of the national protests against the proposition 8 ruling. About 150 people showed up in Portland, OR.

    Did anyone else go?
    They should have had free pizza.
    Thank you

  7. #357
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    They have it.

    Right now, this very instant, they have it.
    Jallman has already explained some of the inequalities in this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry
    Then I stand out among them as I keep separating the two on this thread.
    No you don't. If you did, you wouldn't oppose legal gay marriage. Your church can still do whatever it wants, and you'll still be free to tell your kids how immoral and disgusting gay people are.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  8. #358
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    No, blacks could marry any other race...Asian, Latino, etc...and whites could marry any other race...Asian, Latino...etc...the ban was very spicific in that only blacks and whites could not marry.

    No such equivalent ban exists today.
    The particular subset of races that each race was allowed to marry is irrelevant. The point is that they did not have the same rights regarding marriage. A white man could marry a white woman, but a black man could not. Unconstitutional. A man can marry a woman, but a woman cannot. Unconstitutional.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #359
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Jerry:

    You keep representing yourself as someone who understands the complicated and convoluted domestic partnership laws when you obviously don't have a clue or are deliberately trying to misreprent the complicated legal issues in false support of your point.

    They're not even in the same ballpark. I'm married and the day we got the lisense certified, rights and priviliges were given to us without having to explain my relationship, filling out more papers, hiringing a lawyer, or going back to court.

    Stop and think about it. I filled out 1 single piece of paper and once it was signed and witnessed I instantly got over a thousand rights without question.

    If you want to continue in this thread then I suggest you get better informed about the CA domestic partnership laws and stop asking people to do your homework for you.

    Here's your homework: Domestic partnership in California
    The only legal difference is the title of the license application.

    Gays don't have to higher lawyers, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    BTW--you own me an apology for that sick abortion comment earlier.
    I apologize for not including your sister, but she turned out to be one sweet piece of ass, so I forgive her

  10. #360
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,656

    Re: California Supreme Court Upholds Proposition 8

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Agreed. Now that that's settled, want to ride to hell with Capt'n and myself?

    We stole full size van from Trump's personal fleet and it has a well stocked wet bar.



    Hey, if you don't want me to have a say, get it the **** off my ballot.
    Y'know Jer, sometimes methinks that it is the GOP who wants to put the gay stuff on the ballots, alongside the candidates up for election. That brings more voters out to their side on election day. A subtle form of voter manipulation. The Libs do it too, only they use pot as their magnet issue.

    It really shouldn't be up for a vote. It's only right to do what's right and let them have equality in all things. It should be a mandate. But it ain't the governments job to tell them no in the first place. It ain't the church's either. Getting married to somebody of the same sex OR the opposite sex should be THEIR choice. But the church has every right to NOT sanction it if they so desire. Big deal.

    "Sure, you can get married IF..... " Who has the right to put an "if" in there? To me, that is beyond arrogant. I just don't understand why some people get their panty's in a bunch when gays ask for equality. Who's it gonna hurt? You? Me? I highly doubt it. Much adoo over nothing.
    Last edited by Captain America; 05-27-09 at 01:47 AM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

Page 36 of 52 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •