Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 386

Thread: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

  1. #241
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    The term "judicial activist" has always seemed like code for "too liberal."

    Funny how we don't hear that term applied to far right wing judges whose consistency in ruling in ways pleasing to conservatives.



    you attack that strawman! You go girl!
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #242
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    Yeah, real apples and apples! Bush only went to Yale because his daddy and granddaddy went there not on his own merits.

    Sotomayer on the other hand earned the right to go there coming from the exact opposite type of childhood as the caveman aka George W. Bush.

    Bush is a MORON - always was and will be.

    Sotomayer has brilliant credentials and has earned every success she's achieved.

    Does anyone actually believe that Bush is a self-made man?
    lol champs, you wascally wabbit.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #243
    Advisor Birdzeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Coast - mid Atlantic
    Last Seen
    12-10-16 @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    341

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    you attack that strawman! You go girl!
    What straw man? It's the truth. YOUR post is the straw man here.

  4. #244
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    What straw man? It's the truth. YOUR post is the straw man here.




    Prove that right wingers use "activist" for a code word for "too liberal"...


    Show one right winger who made the argument that she was "too liberal" and was called a "judicial activist" because of it.


    STRAWMAN.


    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  5. #245
    Advisor Birdzeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Coast - mid Atlantic
    Last Seen
    12-10-16 @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    341

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Prove that right wingers use "activist" for a code word for "too liberal"...


    Show one right winger who made the argument that she was "too liberal" and was called a "judicial activist" because of it.


    STRAWMAN.


    I expressed an opinion, based on the observation that "judicial activist" seems to be applied exclusively to liberal judges. I don't remember ever hearing that term applied to a conservative judge - at least, not by conservatives.

    Perhaps instead of getting all snarky with me, you could prove me wrong by showing several examnples of conservatives criticizing conservative judges as "judicial activists."

  6. #246
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    I expressed an opinion, based on the observation that "judicial activist" seems to be applied exclusively to liberal judges. I don't remember ever hearing that term applied to a conservative judge - at least, not by conservatives.

    So you have nothing but "feelings" got it.


    Perhaps instead of getting all snarky with me, you could prove me wrong by showing several examnples of conservatives criticizing conservative judges as "judicial activists."

    So you want to make a statement, not back it up, then you want me to argue against this strawman you just built?



    Please.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #247
    Advisor Birdzeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Coast - mid Atlantic
    Last Seen
    12-10-16 @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    341

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    If confirmed, I hope Sotomayer will use her intellect to be a "swing" judge, one whose vote cannot be taken for granted by either side.

    Unlike Scalia, who uses his intellectual prowess to consistently come up with legal arguments pleasing to conservatives.

  8. #248
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,571

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    If confirmed, I hope Sotomayer will use her intellect to be a "swing" judge, one whose vote cannot be taken for granted by either side.

    Unlike Scalia, who uses his intellectual prowess to consistently come up with legal arguments pleasing to conservatives.



    For example?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  9. #249
    Advisor Birdzeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Coast - mid Atlantic
    Last Seen
    12-10-16 @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    341

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    So you have nothing but "feelings" got it.





    So you want to make a statement, not back it up, then you want me to argue against this strawman you just built?



    Please.

    I see. You can't come up with any facts to prove me wrong, eh? And what's so wrong with "feelings?" We use our instincts and feelings all the time to make decisions. My "feelings" were based on an observation. I challenged you to prove my observation wrong, but instead you chose to continue with the snarky meaningless remarks at me.

    I guess you don't have any argument after all, just bluster.

  10. #250
    Advisor Birdzeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Coast - mid Atlantic
    Last Seen
    12-10-16 @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    341

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    For example?
    I'm waiting for YOU to come up with some substance instead of bluster.

Page 25 of 39 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •