Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 386

Thread: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

  1. #171
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Where in the world does that fit into judging.

    What happen to this notion that Justice is Blind?

    The Consequences of their judgement based on the racial and economic status? What? So a white above average income male and a relatively poor hispanic woman get arrested for the exact same crime and somehow the judgements and consequences should be different not on ANY legal fact but simply because of their race, financial standing, and sex?

    This is law to you?
    I did not say that was my view, only what she was getting at.

  2. #172
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    You can, as long as you aren't willing to turn down a better qualified candidate, based on gender. Is there a better qualified candidate than this lady? I don't know. I know that the pool from which Obama is going to choose is going to be centrist to left of center. So we can disqualify any intelligent right of center judges based on that criteria. So now the question is, is she the best candidate from the left of center pool? That I don't know. If there is a better suited candidate, I think its shameful to pick someone due to physical attributes. If all else can be shown to be equal, as in he couldn't have done any better from the pool he's going to pick from, then I have no issue. Obama may be messianic, but I don't expect him to perform any miracles for the right anytime soon.
    I see your point, but what constitutes a better qualified candidate? One whose decisions you like better? As President, Obama has the right choose someone whom he thinks is qualified. I could see you doubting her if she went to some podunk college and law school. Her education meets the criteria of the usual Supreme Court justice. The chances of someone going to both schools and not being very bright are incredibly slim.

    I might be concerned if I was reading through her opinions and I thought, "Jeez, she's dumb!" Just remember that judges on the Circuit courts are part of a panel of judges. So the decision that comes down isn't her decision. It's their decision. Based on what I have looked at so far, I haven't seen anything that makes me think, "You have got to be kidding me." As I stated above, if the Supreme Court was issuing decisions with 9-0, 8-1 votes, reversing the decision of the Second Circuit where she voted with the majority, I might be concerned.

    Obama is smart enough to pick someone who is incredibly bright and talented. Let's see how the Senate votes on her. In 1998 (when it was Republican controlled), she got 67 votes for the Second Circuit.

  3. #173
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I see your point, but what constitutes a better qualified candidate? One whose decisions you like better? As President, Obama has the right choose someone whom he thinks is qualified. I could see you doubting her if she went to some podunk college and law school. Her education meets the criteria of the usual Supreme Court justice. The chances of someone going to both schools and not being very bright are incredibly slim.

    I might be concerned if I was reading through her opinions and I thought, "Jeez, she's dumb!" Just remember that judges on the Circuit courts are part of a panel of judges. So the decision that comes down isn't her decision. It's their decision. Based on what I have looked at so far, I haven't seen anything that makes me think, "You have got to be kidding me." As I stated above, if the Supreme Court was issuing decisions with 9-0, 8-1 votes, reversing the decision of the Second Circuit where she voted with the majority, I might be concerned.

    Obama is smart enough to pick someone who is incredibly bright and talented. Let's see how the Senate votes on her. In 1998 (when it was Republican controlled), she got 67 votes for the Second Circuit.
    I'm sure the Senate will vote her in. There doesn't seem to be any gross miscalculation in regards to her qualifications. I'm just a little offended by the notion there is this need to have a minority on the bench, just because we need to have a minority on the bench. As if a ruling coming down from a female or hispanic lends more credibility to the decision than if it came down from a male WASP.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  4. #174
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Sotomayer is not incredibly bright. I think they could have found a more leftist appointee who was incredibly bright, but she's just not.
    On what do you base this opinion?

  5. #175
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Never mind, comment unfair in this case. I retract it.
    Last edited by Redress; 05-26-09 at 04:12 PM.

  6. #176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    It's not about what Rush thinks. Its a fact. She has been turned over, many many many times.
    What shocks me is that you take what Rush says on his biased, one-sided radio show as 100% fact. I find that damn scary.

    Rush is a partisan hack who had a serious drug abuse problem, severe issues with his weight, has said racist remarks on his show (ask Donovan McNabb) and who considers himself a comedian...not a commentator, not a pundit.

    Rush is a godsend to us Liberals. I say keep him chattering, the more the merrier. He's your own worst enemy...he does more for the Democrats in terms of building unity than almost anyone else does...

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    On what do you base this opinion?
    The fact that she was dumb enough to talk about her job as a policy maker and then laugh it off as she remembered verbally and out loud, "Oh yeah I shouldn't say that..."

    Also, I think as a woman she should could have made a case for what women bring to the court, how they balance the court, etc without putting her foot in her mouth and suggesting an ethnic vagina makes a better judge than a white penis.

  8. #178
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Conservative groups criticize Sotomayor pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I know what you said and what you were implying.

    In the past the south was not a great place for blacks but today it is totally different. I'm pretty sure you are one of those New England bigots who denigrates anything that emerges from the south. I've met your kind before and I am happy to show you how wrong you are.

    I don't care which political party blacks are involved in but I will tell you that black culture is mostly responsible for their failings today and not the white man.

    Herman Cain, owned.
    Sorry but I live in Manhattan (not New England) and have owned a house in rural southeastern Virginia for almost 30 years. In that part of the south to this day the little towns are segregated, either all white or all black. You're entitled to your opinion but that's all it is, an opinion, and I never said the South, I said Republican strongholds which also implies Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, Montana....for example...and can you share with me how Blacks have fared traditionally in these heavily majority white states?

    You're the one who defensively attacked me about my ignorance of the south when in fact you're the one with a chip on his shoulder. You consider me to be out of touch and I consider you to be way out of touch....like most Republicans when it comes to social issues and race which is why the GOP is in a coma and is a party that is at least 85% (probably higher) white.

    Choosing a Hispanic women raised in a modest, urban environment is brilliant. When the Supremes deliberate having all sorts of backgrounds (aka diversity) means that multiple points of view will be considered.

  9. #179
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    01-10-12 @ 05:22 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    351

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    We can argue all day about this lady's record and background. However this is what bothers me.

    Opening Arguments - Obama's Empathy Standard Drawing Heat
    We need somebody whos got the heart, the empathy, to recognize what its like to be a young teenage mom, then-candidate Obama said in a widely quoted speech to Planned Parenthood in 2007. "The empathy to understand what it's like to be poor, or African American, or gay, or disabled, or old. And that's the criteria by which I'm going to be selecting my judges."
    Regardless of what we feel her record shows. Nobama picked her because of his above belief. Correct me if I'm wrong. Obama feels our courts shouldn't be colorblind. Your race, social, sexual and financial status define the justice you get. This is just wrong. The above should not matter with regard to the law.

    I'm all for common sense in our justice system. What I"m not for is different rules and justice for different groups. Both Obama and Sotomayer seem to suggest that white males can't be impartial. So it takes an impartial Latino women to set them straight. I usually don't care about the racial hatred toward white males. I mean, you learn to live with it. However this time it really bothers me. Individuals can hate me because I'm a white male. But the court system ought not care what my race and gender are.

  10. #180
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,943

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    Rush is a partisan hack who had a serious drug abuse problem, severe issues with his weight, has said racist remarks on his show (ask Donovan McNabb) and who considers himself a comedian...not a commentator,
    you can't ask for better ironic material then this.

    Rush points out facts often, the fallacy is taking his views in regards to those facts and assuming THAT is 100% true. He's not a bad source to get some information that you wish to look at deeper, but beyond that its foolhearty as he is at the heart simply an entertainer.

    But I forgot, fat people can't get facts straight. Thanks for that wonderful insight family guy.

Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •