Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 386

Thread: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

  1. #141
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Because I disagree with the substance on principal.

    Take prop 8. Now I think gays should be allowed to marry. I think it's inevitable and will likely be a non-issue by the time my kids are having kids.

    However, were I judge the fact that I think that means nothing. The fact that I want that to happen means nothing. Unless I can find a way to show that the law supports my thinking I can not uphold my opinion as law, nor can I set policy by writing opinions on what I think that are not supported by the law in some way. I would have to find a way to show that banning gay marriage was unconstitutional.

    I think that Sotomayer thinks it matters that she is a minority, that it matters that she has a vagina, and that her job is to set policy. Rather than looking at the laws I think she thinks about what the law should be in her mind. This is why her opinions are often attacked as weak, missing the point, etc.
    I am amazed at your conclusions of this woman when I doubt you have read more than one opinion she has written. If you have read several, share them with me so I can read them and see if I can come up with your same conclusions.

  2. #142
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,363
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    I understand and US is very different to our courts so i can see why a court that represents and reflects the diversity of citizens matter.
    I need to get over to England again someday. You all are just awesome to talk to.

  3. #143
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I need to get over to England again someday. You all are just awesome to talk to.
    Lol
    I'll swap with you for a while
    We don't even have a supreme court. We have law lords. I'm so jealous sometimes of US politics.


  4. #144
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I am amazed at your conclusions of this woman when I doubt you have read more than one opinion she has written. If you have read several, share them with me so I can read them and see if I can come up with your same conclusions.
    Here's a good article to get you started.

    Sotomayor’s Notable Court Opinions and Articles - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

  5. #145
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,796

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Birdzeye View Post
    However, some who are hell bent on trashing any nominee who isn't to the right of Scalia have already "interpreted" that comment to mean that she advocates some kind of judicial activism.

    I saw the video and it seemed to me that she was describing how the court system works at different stages. The appeals court has the job of examining appeals to determine their constitutionality - "making policy" if you will.




    Wrong. He could have picked the biggest kook the left could have found. If he/she ruled based on law and not make law, I'd have no problem with it.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  6. #146
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    LOL I was just on there in the meantime (after I responded to your last post). So which decision should I read that will cause me to come to the conclusions that you have? In the Ricci case, I see she has voted with the majority. According to this article, it looks like it's going to be a 5-4 decision on the Supreme Court. What does that tell me? That her ruling (which was not just her ruling but the ruling of a panel of 3) is debatable. It's not like the Supreme Court is going to vote 9-0 against the 2nd Circuit's ruling. If that was the case, I might question her legal reasoning. But when it's close like this, that tells me that there's a reasonable debate for both sides.

  7. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    She's been smacked down by appellate courts and the Supreme Court, says Rush, and that bodes ill for her.
    Why do you think that anyone give's a rat's ass what Rush thinks?

    As I wrote before the more Republicans that sound like Rush the bigger the Democrat Party becomes.

  8. #148
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    48,013

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Empathy and a sense of what laws translate into for people. The sense is that wealthy white men have no idea what the consequences of their judgments are on those of other races and economic status.
    Where in the world does that fit into judging.

    What happen to this notion that Justice is Blind?

    The Consequences of their judgement based on the racial and economic status? What? So a white above average income male and a relatively poor hispanic woman get arrested for the exact same crime and somehow the judgements and consequences should be different not on ANY legal fact but simply because of their race, financial standing, and sex?

    This is law to you?

  9. #149
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,796

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    Why do you think that anyone give's a rat's ass what Rush thinks?

    As I wrote before the more Republicans that sound like Rush the bigger the Democrat Party becomes.



    It's not about what Rush thinks. Its a fact. She has been turned over, many many many times.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #150
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,363
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    LOL I was just on there in the meantime (after I responded to your last post). So which decision should I read that will cause me to come to the conclusions that you have? In the Ricci case, I see she has voted with the majority. According to this article, it looks like it's going to be a 5-4 decision on the Supreme Court. What does that tell me? That her ruling (which was not just her ruling but the ruling of a panel of 3) is debatable. It's not like the Supreme Court is going to vote 9-0 against the 2nd Circuit's ruling. If that was the case, I might question her legal reasoning. But when it's close like this, that tells me that there's a reasonable debate for both sides.
    I am not sure if reasonable, well thought out posts like this one should be allowed in an emotional debate like people are having on this nomination.

Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •