Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 386

Thread: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

  1. #131
    Passionate
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    03-07-11 @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    15,675

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Nuance is important in judicial opinions. She seems to have an issue with that on a larger scope than just this one particular incidence.
    I was talking about her words--not her opinions. I noticed you completely ignored the substance of my post.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Conservative groups criticize Sotomayor pick

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    When has the court "made policy," please some evidence. In Brown vs Board of Education, the court simply struck down an unconstitutional law. As is their job. They protect the minority from the majority.
    The Dred Scott decision decided that Blacks were not people, they were property and did not deserve the same constitutional rights as Whites....That was a pretty damning decision that took another 100 years to correct. The policy that Blacks were inferior still permeates today in places that the Republicans consider to be their strongholds...and the Dred Scott decision was in the 1850s.

  3. #133
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    You bring facts from one who cherry-picks from the whole story. If you brought complete facts then I would not say a word. If it were Keith Oberman, I would rail the same. I have said I do not like some of her record, and thanked you for the other facts you have brought, but Rush does not tell both sides.
    Maybe I need to introduce you to how forums work?

    By reading all the posters you get a cross-section of an issue in it's entirety.

    Seldom do you ever find one poster who has the entire objective story on a topic or else every thread would have only one post.

    OBL 11/24/02

  4. #134
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Conservative groups criticize Sotomayor pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    The Dred Scott decision decided that Blacks were not people, they were property and did not deserve the same constitutional rights as Whites....That was a pretty damning decision that took another 100 years to correct. The policy that Blacks were inferior still permeates today in places that the Republicans consider to be their strongholds...and the Dred Scott decision was in the 1850s.
    Please stfu, you have no idea what your talking about.

    I'd imagine that we in the south have better racial relations than you in the north do solely because we have lived so close together for so long.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #135
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Conservative groups criticize Sotomayor pick

    Quote Originally Posted by Family Guy View Post
    The Dred Scott decision decided that Blacks were not people, they were property and did not deserve the same constitutional rights as Whites....That was a pretty damning decision that took another 100 years to correct. The policy that Blacks were inferior still permeates today in places that the Republicans consider to be their strongholds...and the Dred Scott decision was in the 1850s.
    I know well the Dred Scott case, it was something that the North had to continuously deal with during the years prior to succession. You are right about the policy still being around I am afraid.

  6. #136
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Well to me, i don't care how representative judges or politicans are. As long as they can do their job, their race or gender means little to me but i know race issues in US differ to here because of its history.

    I'm just waiting to see how the republicans react. They will have to tread carefully imo.
    Politicans are after votes and winning elections, and alienating the largest [and still growing] voting bloc in US will not be very clever will it?
    In a perfect world, none of that would matter. It's not such a perfect world though sadly. The Supreme Court has for so long been totally WASP dominated, that when we can change that makeup I think it is a positive, as long as we can do that without jeopardizing the job of the court.

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by aps View Post
    I was talking about her words--not her opinions. I noticed you completely ignored the substance of my post.
    Because I disagree with the substance on principal.

    Take prop 8. Now I think gays should be allowed to marry. I think it's inevitable and will likely be a non-issue by the time my kids are having kids.

    However, were I judge the fact that I think that means nothing. The fact that I want that to happen means nothing. Unless I can find a way to show that the law supports my thinking I can not uphold my opinion as law, nor can I set policy by writing opinions on what I think that are not supported by the law in some way. I would have to find a way to show that banning gay marriage was unconstitutional.

    I think that Sotomayer thinks it matters that she is a minority, that it matters that she has a vagina, and that her job is to set policy. Rather than looking at the laws I think she thinks about what the law should be in her mind. This is why her opinions are often attacked as weak, missing the point, etc.
    Last edited by talloulou; 05-26-09 at 02:49 PM.

  8. #138
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    08-26-09 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    676

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    Legislating from the bench is a no no but, according to Rush, she sees it as her prerogative.

    In addition, he calls her a reverse racist.

    Limbaugh calls Sotomayor "a reverse racist," appointed by "the greatest living example of a reverse racist" | Media Matters for America
    It's good to see the Spokesman for the Party of No has called her a racist, already! Couldn't be happier that he did so.

    So let's see...there are now about 5% of Black Americans who vote Republican and the more the GOP fights her appointment the more Hispanic voters will vote for Democrats...Rush is such a retard that he took the bait, hook line and sinker and I'm betting so will all of the other Party of No "leaders" thus condemning themselves to be a minority (ironic word don't you think) party for a generation....

  9. #139
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by bhkad View Post
    Maybe I need to introduce you to how forums work?

    By reading all the posters you get a cross-section of an issue in it's entirety.

    Seldom do you ever find one poster who has the entire objective story on a topic or else every thread would have only one post.
    Pardon me then sir, when I post threads I try to use only evenly balanced stories. I feel that the hyper-partisanship ruins good discussions because it thrusts each side to the extreme of an issue. But I in no way wish to impune you, rather your source of this topic. I have read your other posts and found them very well thought out.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Laila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Seen
    04-28-17 @ 01:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    10,095

    Re: Obama to pick Sotomayer for Supreme Court

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    In a perfect world, none of that would matter. It's not such a perfect world though sadly. The Supreme Court has for so long been totally WASP dominated, that when we can change that makeup I think it is a positive, as long as we can do that without jeopardizing the job of the court.
    I understand and US is very different to our courts so i can see why a court that represents and reflects the diversity of citizens matter.


Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •