Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 236

Thread: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    I'm not a fan of that logic either, but I would cordially point out that the most recent batch of Congressional Republicans didn't do such a bang-up job balancing the budget.

    And as a moderate (or at least self-proclaimed), it's not like we're crashing the GOP tent yelling, "Let us in!" It's just that the tent has gotten rather small, and Republicans might be quite lonely if they only pander to those already in there.
    Well that's okay if you don't like "OUR" tent and think it is too small; the Democrats will tell you whatever it is you want to hear to get you into their tent. Just don't expect them to listen to you after they are elected or care what you think.

    This last election was the perfect example; a farcical claim of fiscal irresponsibility against Republicans, then they get elected and put us into an astronomical deficit without ONE single debate about how to pay for it all.

    Yep, gotta love that Democrat fiscal responsibility, transparency and integrity. Funny how they railed about how responsible raising taxes is when their opponents inhabit the White House, but since they got there, they don't want to TOUCH that topic. We call this hypocrisy combined with a lack of honesty and integrity sprinkled with hyperbolic attacks on their political opponents.


  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Then clearly your racism is rivaled only by your inability to decipher smack.
    Can we save the childish efforts of "smack" for the basement and leave it out of this thread?

    Thank you in advance.

  3. #203
    Advisor Tubub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    05-22-13 @ 03:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    521

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    While this debate is an OBVIOUS Liberal media campaign to support the idiotic notion that this Country is moving LEFT and Democrats are apparently seizing power that will lead to a two decade majority; I would like to send this message to misguided person like Powell who CLAIM they have not left the Republican Party and that the Party must look more like the Democrats to be relevant.

    Nothing could be further from the TRUTH Mr. Powell; and while I did have great respect for your service under two Republican Presidents, your position and claims are false and indeed farcical.

    First your claim that you are a Republican; I assure you that NO ONE with Conservative Values could have endorsed an inexperienced community Organizing Liberal Leftist like Obama. The notion that you have a Conservative bone left in your body requires the willful suspension of disbelief.

    Secondly, your claims that Cheney and Rush Limbaugh are somehow causing a rightward lurch in the Republican Party require an equal suspension of disbelief.

    Rush and Dick Cheney didn't invent Conservatism; they represent it in their comments and statements and are 100% correct about your political positions.

    The notion that the Republicans should become MORE like the Democrats for the pure reason to "appeal" to more voters in order to get elected is light-years’ away from what the ideology represents. The notion that I or any other TRUE Conservative would be a member of a party that parrots Democrats in trying to be anything you want it to be for the pure purpose of getting "elected" is the reason you SHOULD take Dick's advice and just change your affiliation. The notion that you have a say in Republican primaries concerns me.

    We do not NEED to become LIKE the Democrats; the Republican Party NEEDS to go back to its core principles and become Conservative again.

    I am always amused by moderates like you who fall for the Liberal media's false portrayal of people like Bush. They claim he was a BIG spender and just Democrat "light." Then on the other hand brand him as some incarnation of evil for actually doing what he says he will do.

    Colin, trust me when I say this; Rush speaks more for my views and values than YOU will ever do and which is the reason he has so much influence among REAL Conservatives. So do yourself and the Republicans a favor; sign up with the Democrats whom you now endorse and support. We don't want or need you or people like you in the party and if it means we should wander in the political wilderness until people can be reminded why Liberals should be relegated to the fringes of political power again; so be it.

    Carry on sir and thank you for your great service to this Great Nation; I am sure the Democrats will welcome you with open arms just as they did with Alen Spector and use your defection as propaganda to suggest that the nation is now Liberal.


    Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right
    The former secretary of State aims his remarks at conservatives such as Rush Limbaugh, who he says is stifling debate on the party's future.

    Reporting from Washington -- Former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell warned Sunday that ideological conservatives, particularly radio commentator Rush Limbaugh, had gained a hold over the Republican Party that risked driving the GOP into an extended exile from power.

    Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right - Los Angeles Times
    What seems to slip your mind is that party's are collections of people. Just like different sects of left-wing people exist in the Democratic party, different sects of right-wing people can exist in the Republican party. Your idea that your view is the only view for the Republican party and then blaming Powell for providing a moderate voice shows your hypocrisy.

    "A state without the means of some change is without the means of its conservation" Edmund Burke, one of the founders of Western Conservatism, said that. Do you understand what that means? Clearly not, your more keen to listen to Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh on what Conservatism is.

    So if Powell thinks failed policies have been endorsed for 8 years, and he has had personal knowledge to support his thought, then why is it somehow un-conservative for him to support someone who provides change? Is it not rationality to support the person who could repair America's image and reverse failed policies? You say you are sticking by your principles, but it sounds more like Powell is sticking by his.

    Conservatism is to be rational and have good judgment. Powell used his good judgement on the color of the situation, not the color of a man's skin.

    Rush speaks more for my views and values than YOU will ever do and which is the reason he has so much influence among REAL Conservatives
    "Not seldom has it seemed," Kirk declared, "as if some eminent Neoconservatives mistook Tel Aviv for the capital of the United States." Russell Kirk said that at a lecture at the Heritage foundation in 1988. He would probably puke today.

    Your thought that neo-conservatism and social conservatism are true conservatism is dead wrong. History has a different story to tell, and I think you owe an apology to Lincoln, Teddy, Eisenhower, GoldWater, and Raegan for that matter.

    Anyway, stop recommending to people to leave the Republican party. Instead, leave yourself. I've been in this party all my life and I'm not going to leave just because some arrogant, narrow-minded prick wants to tell me moderates aren't allowed.

    We do not NEED to become LIKE the Democrats; the Republican Party NEEDS to go back to its core principles and become Conservative again.
    This argument has absolutely nothing to do with the Democrats or partisan politics. This is about the REPUBLICAN PARTY and its future, stop referring back to liberals for your argument.

    In the words of Ronald Reagan: "If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism"

    PS: You earlier insulted Powell for supporting Obama saying he did it purely because the color of his skin. Did Cheney not publicly support gay marriage purely because his daughters orientation?
    Last edited by Tubub; 06-02-09 at 10:25 PM.
    “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -TR

  4. #204
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,703

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    I find it amusing that some people here are oblivious to their inability to create a truly coherent sense of neoconservatism. For instance, if Dick Cheney or Rush Limbaugh is to be representative of Neoconservatives (a bit of a mistake, to put lightly), then what do you folks make of FPI and its admitted philosophical embrace of a decent portion of Obama's foreign policy, or dare we say, where neoconservatives agree with democrats on domestic policy?

    I guess "real conservatives" (no matter what school of conservatism they probably designate-they are all "real conservatives" and no one else is) on this board need to use Neoconservatives as some sort of flexible Three Stooges act.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 06-02-09 at 10:38 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  5. #205
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,466

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    What seems to slip your mind is that party's are collections of people. Just like different sects of left-wing people exist in the Democratic party, different sects of right-wing people can exist in the Republican party. Your idea that your view is the only view for the Republican party and then blaming Powell for providing a moderate voice shows your hypocrisy.

    "A state without the means of some change is without the means of its conservation" Edmund Burke, one of the founders of Western Conservatism, said that. Do you understand what that means? Clearly not, your more keen to listen to Dick Cheney and Rush Limbaugh on what Conservatism is.

    So if Powell thinks failed policies have been endorsed for 8 years, and he has had personal knowledge to support his thought, then why is it somehow un-conservative for him to support someone who provides change? Is it not rationality to support the person who could repair America's image and reverse failed policies? You say you are sticking by your principles, but it sounds more like Powell is sticking by his.

    Conservatism is to be rational and have good judgment. Powell used his good judgement on the color of the situation, not the color of a man's skin.



    "Not seldom has it seemed," Kirk declared, "as if some eminent Neoconservatives mistook Tel Aviv for the capital of the United States." Russell Kirk said that at a lecture at the Heritage foundation in 1988. He would probably puke today.

    Your thought that neo-conservatism and social conservatism are true conservatism is dead wrong. History has a different story to tell, and I think you owe an apology to Lincoln, Teddy, Eisenhower, GoldWater, and Raegan for that matter.

    Anyway, stop recommending to people to leave the Republican party. Instead, leave yourself. I've been in this party all my life and I'm not going to leave just because some arrogant, narrow-minded prick wants to tell me moderates aren't allowed.



    This argument has absolutely nothing to do with the Democrats or partisan politics. This is about the REPUBLICAN PARTY and its future, stop referring back to liberals for your argument.

    In the words of Ronald Reagan: "If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism"

    PS: You earlier insulted Powell for supporting Obama saying he did it purely because the color of his skin. Did Cheney not publicly support gay marriage purely because his daughters orientation?
    Outstanding post Tubub. Thanks button is simply not good enough.

    *insert profound statement here*

  6. #206
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,466

    Re: Hey Truth Detector, there just one line of truth

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Hang on, putting my waders on.....okay back. So what I got out of this babble is blah blah blah radical blah blah crazy blah blah blah sect blah blah blah terrorist blah blah blah antics.

    Did that pretty much sum up your banal blather?
    Yeah, you just tell yourself your the popular girl.

    You should not worry about the waders and worry about the fact your getting your clock cleaned in this debate. Again.
    *insert profound statement here*

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Can we save the childish efforts of "smack" for the basement and leave it out of this thread?

    Thank you in advance.
    Moderator's Warning:
    Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the rightAgreed. However I also agree that calling anyone "a Tom" is unnecessarily inflammatory unless their name happens to be Tom. Everyone quit the flaming.

  8. #208
    Advisor FlappyTheKinkajou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-09 @ 07:49 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    406

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Well, the GOP doesn't really have anything resembling principles. The GOP is nearly identical to the Democrats.

    Powell wants to pretend, for reasons that probably have to do with sucking up to the new Kenyah president, that the problems the GOP is having are the result of the GOP NOT moving far enough to the left to scrape off the few Americans it had left in the party.
    The GOP had principles to begin with, and for a while could find arguments for their compromise external to themselves. This is no longer the case.
    Let's figure it out.

  9. #209
    Advisor Tubub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    05-22-13 @ 03:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    521

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    I find it amusing that some people here are oblivious to their inability to create a truly coherent sense of neoconservatism. For instance, if Dick Cheney or Rush Limbaugh is to be representative of Neoconservatives (a bit of a mistake, to put lightly), then what do you folks make of FPI and its admitted philosophical embrace of a decent portion of Obama's foreign policy, or dare we say, where neoconservatives agree with democrats on domestic policy?

    I guess "real conservatives" (no matter what school of conservatism they probably designate-they are all "real conservatives" and no one else is) on this board need to use Neoconservatives as some sort of flexible Three Stooges act.
    A lot of people do toss around the term "neo-conservative. I don't think its a wrongly identifying Cheney as a neo-con or Limbaugh as a social conservative... those are pretty much givens.

    By "true conservatives" im referring to the wide range of conservatives that stick to the basic principles of Conservatism.
    “Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure...than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    -TR

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Tubub View Post
    A lot of people do toss around the term "neo-conservative. I don't think its a wrongly identifying Cheney as a neo-con or Limbaugh as a social conservative... those are pretty much givens.

    By "true conservatives" im referring to the wide range of conservatives that stick to the basic principles of Conservatism.
    Great post earlier--BTW.

    I would like to interject here, in terms of calling people/things by what they really are:

    Rush Limbaugh is a college drop-out who found a niche in talk radio during the Clinton years. He is not a social conservative. He is a performer who plays a social conservative on the radio.

    I do not believe that he actually believes (or understands) half the things he says. The arguments are way too thin and unoriginal, the rhetoric too comically extreme (just like the Sam Raimi movie I saw this weekend).

    Rush, like Ann Coulter, found a niche and they both put on a performance, memorizing lines, coming up with catch phrases like SNL, selling their merchandise. What they do is very similar to professional wrestling, it's all staged and choreographed.

    The biggest joke was earlier in the year when Rush 'challenged' President Obama to an economics debate. A college drop-out wanted to debate a Harvard Law graduate. Talk about delusions of grandeur.

    IMO.

Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •