Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 236

Thread: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    The only conservatives that I feel will even stand a chance are real fiscal conservatives. War hungry Neo-cons and social conservatives are dead as doornails politically. RIP
    I am confused by this notion of war hungry Neo-Cons. This is nothing more than hyperbolic blather which has no substance in REALITY or the FACTS.

    Were Kennedy and Johnson war hungry Neo-Cons when they got us into Vietnam on entirely specious and false circumstances to fight Communism too?

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by The silenced majority View Post
    Colin Powell had a moderate, if not left-wing, Republican in John McCain to support this election, yet he chose to support Barack Obama instead.

    Why?

    (this very question was posed by Rush Limbaugh himself on his radio program, but since none of the people who bash him on a daily basis actually listen to talk radio, I'll post his question here.)

    P.S. You can call me a fat, drug addict if it makes you feel any better.
    This is a terrific point; but do not expect an honest answer for it.

  3. #13
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Exactly... Goldwater conservatives are what we need. Not these psuedo-conservative, self-rightous, nosey, anti-American, busy-bodies that want to dictate to all how they should live.
    Most definitely, if Obama's deficit spending does not payback in spades with more job creation, revenue increases, cheaper healthcare and the like, a solid fiscal conservative, with a middle stance on the other issues will be in a good position to win the office.

  4. #14
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I am curious about this perception of "hard right" however. Who is defining these formerly Liberalist political beliefs that were expressed during the founding of this nation as being something remotely close to "hard right?"

    Here is what the definition of Liberalism is which I am highlighting the principles I think best describes Conservative Principles and best represented by the Republican Party and where it needs to get back to, but I hardly believe in the notion it is "hard right:"

    Main Entry: liberalism !li-b(u-)ru-+li-zum
    Pronunciation: \ ˈli-b(ə-)rə-ˌli-zəm \
    Function: noun
    Date: 1819
    Results

    1. 1 the quality or state of being liberal

    2 a. often capitalized a movement in modern Protestantism emphasizing intellectual liberty and the spiritual and ethical content of Christianity b. a theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market, and the gold standard c. a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties d. capitalized the principles and policies of a Liberal party
    To make my point more clear, until the GOP un-hooks their wagon from the social conservatives, whom a resounding percentage of Americans reject, (nay, detest,) and return to their fiscal conservative roots and re-adopt a Goldwater "live and let live" brand of conservatism, not entangled with the religious zealots, they ain't gonna get anywhere.

    As the song says, "But when you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow." (But in this case, the picture is, perhaps, Rush Limbaugh or Dick Cheney. )

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by The silenced majority View Post
    Colin Powell had a moderate, if not left-wing, Republican in John McCain to support this election, yet he chose to support Barack Obama instead.

    Why?

    (this very question was posed by Rush Limbaugh himself on his radio program, but since none of the people who bash him on a daily basis actually listen to talk radio, I'll post his question here.)

    P.S. You can call me a fat, drug addict if it makes you feel any better.
    At a guess, it would be because he felt Obama would make a better president than McCain.

    Josh darn that Powell going with his beliefs instead of blind party loyalty...

  6. #16
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    This is a terrific point; but do not expect an honest answer for it.
    I'll give you an honest answer. I think Powell supported Obama because Obama is considered to be an African-American.

    And somehow that's ok?

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  7. #17
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    At a guess, it would be because he felt Obama would make a better president than McCain.

    Josh darn that Powell going with his beliefs instead of blind party loyalty...
    Oh, I'm SURE that's the reason.

    Not.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #18
    Guru
    tlmorg02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Louisville, Ky
    Last Seen
    07-23-15 @ 11:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    3,347

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I am confused by this notion of war hungry Neo-Cons. This is nothing more than hyperbolic blather which has no substance in REALITY or the FACTS.

    Were Kennedy and Johnson war hungry Neo-Cons when they got us into Vietnam on entirely specious and false circumstances to fight Communism too?
    Once again you are wrong. Neo-conservatives are defined as a sect of conservatives who believe that U.S. military and economic might should be used to spread democracy throughout the world.

    And yes, Kennedy and Johnson were both fools for engaging in us is Vietnam. I agreed with the type of support we provided in Afghanistan during the Soviet Invasion, and wished that was our roll in Vietnam.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-30-09 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,648

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    For the record, specifically for those who refuse to understand:

    "Social Conservatives" only seek to maintain what has been referred to as the "civil society". A properly functioning "civil society" needs very little Government interference. The preservation of the "civil society" was the aim of the framers who drafted a Constitution of largely negative rights (things that the Government is not allowed to do to you.).


    If you can point to instances where the aims & beliefs of social conservatives -order, private property, Natural Law, de-centralization, custom, convention & tradition have lead to an expanse in government, you may have a point about social Conservatism being at odds with people like Barry Goldwater.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    At a guess, it would be because he felt Obama would make a better president than McCain.

    Josh darn that Powell going with his beliefs instead of blind party loyalty...
    If that's what Powell believed, then he's an idiot.

    Which would explain his Anti-Republican leanings.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •