Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 236

Thread: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

  1. #161
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    The UK was not the problem, and neither of these incidents have done anything to weaken our alliance with them. Do you actually understand how deep and historical alliance with the UK is?
    Yes, the British were our adversaries until they assessed our industrial capabilities in the Civil War and they then began a long term process of buttering us up, which paid off handsomely for them when they got the rubes on this side of the Pond to bail their sorry asses out of two wars they couldn't win without us.

    What have they done for us that we couldn't have done ourselves?

    Nada.

    Oh, I forget, you study history.

    I understand it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Only a fool would try to foist the idea that these social blunders actually damaged that alliance.
    Sorry, you were pointing out the wonderful successes Obama had in Europe. I was pointing out the boy's gaffes, which, by definition, are not successes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Nothing like over exaggerating the situation for effect eh?
    You should know. Now explain what sort of "success" there is in reneging on a defense agreement with an ally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    More stumbling and bumbling I see. Articulate your point in an intelligent and logical fashion please. Your extreme talking point bull**** doesn't cut it here.
    Guess what?

    I post as I will. I expect that people of lesser intelligence may have difficulty keeping up, and well, that's just too damn bad, isn't it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    No he hasn't. Articulate the point.
    How many joints do you want it it? Typically, because a point has zero dimension, it's not possible to articulate points, and articulation is therefore reserved for structures of at least one dimension.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    No he hasn't.
    Yes he has.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Why would he?
    Why wouldn't he?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    We were content to do it ourselves.
    Sounds kinky. Please specify.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    The Europeans were smarter than us in that regard.
    Hardly. They're still living in Europe, aren't they?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    Your opinion, the majority of the nation and world disagree with you. Poor kid.
    Then again, the majority is usually wrong, not to mention the fact that logical arguments aren't won by popular vote.
    Last edited by Scarecrow Akhbar; 05-26-09 at 10:05 PM.

  2. #162
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The debate isn't about the man. The debate is about the man's racist decision to back Obama for no reason at all.
    See folks, this is the kind of bizarro logic that I'm banging my head against a wall over.



    Okay so let's get back to square one. You've claimed Powell voted based upon race. You've not proven it, period. Not in any way, shape, or form.

    Please do so now.
    Last edited by Lerxst; 05-26-09 at 10:06 PM.
    *insert profound statement here*

  3. #163
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    See folks, this is the kind of bizarro logic that I'm banging my head against a wall over.



    Okay so let's get back to square one. You've claimed Powell voted based upon race. You've not proven it, period. Not in any way, shape, or form.

    Please do so now.
    Proven, case closed.

    What you haven't done is provided any legitimate quality of The Messiah that would support your contention that Powell could have used something besides race to make his endorsement. You did say that Powell thought that The Messiah may have had some vision in common with Skippy, but since The Messiah doesn't have any qualifications to be president, that merely meant that Skippy was deluded. Ergo, you're arguing that Skippy's endorsement was an act of delusion, not racism.

    However, what you can't do is prove that the delusion wasn't also racist, and that Skippy was just lying.

    I, on the other hand, demonstrated that no one in their right mind who was concerned about the security of the United States would vote for The Messiah, and since Skippy did swear that oath, therefore Skippy was not endorsing the Messiah out of any sense of improving national security, and the only remaining alternative was race.

    You've done nothing to rebut this.

  4. #164
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,463

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Proven, case closed.
    No you haven't. You can't point to a single post in this thread in which you've proven Powell to be a racist.

    I'll continue to wait for your substantiation of this absurd notion.
    *insert profound statement here*

  5. #165
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post

    The thing the GOP needs to do IS to go farther to the Right, but not in regards to Social Issues where they're already EXTREMELY Right, but in all other aspects of conservatism.
    All right then. You guys go with that.

    Pardon me for not responding in depth to your post to me but you lost me when you started the typical insult pattern thing you guys do, somewhere in the beginning, when you called me ignorant. Nothing you had to say after that, (the little I actually read,) mattered.

    But, I might add that to the list of reasons why the GOP is getting slammed left and right. Their offensive way of trying to relate. O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Hannity, Coulter. It's as if dickheadedness is an admirable quality to these type of people.

    Whatever. I'm just glad they're on their way out.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  6. #166
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    All right then. You guys go with that.

    Pardon me for not responding in depth to your post to me but you lost me when you started the typical insult pattern thing you guys do, somewhere in the beginning, when you called me ignorant. Nothing you had to say after that, (the little I actually read,) mattered.

    But, I might add that to the list of reasons why the GOP is getting slammed left and right. Their offensive way of trying to relate. O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Hannity, Coulter. It's as if dickheadedness is an admirable quality to these type of people.

    Whatever. I'm just glad they're on their way out.
    No one called you ignorant in a general sense, IE dumb, I stated your comments appeared that you were ignorant OF CONSERVATISM or more precisely, of your beef with conservatism. That doesn't mean you're stupid, that means you appear uninformed and educated on the matter. You framed your entire argument as a reason why they shouldn't go to the right, why being more conservative is bad, yet the ONLY examples you used were SOCIAL conservative examples and nothing else. Its an worthless and illogical argument to make, as your complaining through words about one thing while giving examples for something entirely different.

    No one that I know is saying "The Republicans need to go further right on social issues...and continue being flip floppers and moderates on other". They're saying they need to go further right, across the board, actually BE conservatives as a whole, not just social conservatives. Indeed, doing exactly that will actually lessen the extremeness of the social side because its tempered with the other portions.

    Its not an insult to your intelligence, its a testament to your illogical argument and your seeming inability to actually comprehend the situation and conservatism.

  7. #167
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    I made no bones about it. If I recall, I made it clear that the only beef I had was with social conservatives wanting to shove their agendas down the throats of those who don't want to buy it (and the GOP seems to be joined to these people at the hip.)

    I'm all for REAL conservatism. Goldwater style with a little Ronnie thrown in. Real conservatives, in my opinon, should be out on the front lines fighting for equal rights for ALL and insisting on leaving church matters to the church and state matters to the state. They should be talking dollars and sense and not queers and abortions.

    Also, the GOP tradition of being pro-big business man and not so much pro-average Joe, (although that does have it's merit) ain't gonna score them many points right now since Mr. Big Business has just ****ed Average Joe up the arse without using any Vaseline.

    I think they need to move further to the right on spending control and other fiscal matters they have dismally failed at the past decade or so. On that, we can agree. (The dems probably won't do any better.)

    They need to slide to the left on social matters, or at least cut their apron strings from those rightwingnut politic-preachers (and their followers) and those vile propagandists that hitched their wagon to the GOP (and their followers as well.)

    And they need to quit being such offensive dickheads too. It matters not if their idea is good or not when they can't get it across without insulting, condescending, and overall come across as an arrogant "better-than-thou" know it all. Because nobody wants to listen to them anymore. I know I don't.

    Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Captain America; 05-27-09 at 12:15 AM.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  8. #168
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post

    They need to slide to the left on social matters, or at least cut their apron strings from those rightwingnut politic-preachers (and their followers) and those vile propagandists that hitched their wagon to the GOP (and their followers as well.)

    And they need to quit being such offensive dickheads too.
    The insults, over exaggerations, offensive name calling, grandiose stereotyping and further are hardly relegated to a single side of any issue. It just happens that people are far more often blind to it when their side of a debate is doing it and far more critical of it when its levied against themselves.

  9. #169
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,671

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The insults, over exaggerations, offensive name calling, grandiose stereotyping and further are hardly relegated to a single side of any issue. It just happens that people are far more often blind to it when their side of a debate is doing it and far more critical of it when its levied against themselves.
    That makes sense too. Maybe I'll ponder on that a while.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  10. #170
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:53 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,477
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    I was just venting in this thread, but you could argue why and present evidence as to your claims. At least then it would appear more intelligent than simply calling him Skippy and assuming that because Powell is black he voted for Obama.
    You complained people dredge up stuff from the election... how else are you going to analyze Powell's vote and endorsement without doing that?

    Obama left such a vile trail, a trail that had been dripped out little by little, a vile trail no sane Republican could endorse, and certainly no moderate R could endorse when McCain was our nominee.

    Powell has yet to justify voting for someone who:

    Was the pointman behind infanticide legislation.
    Thinks much of the country are "Bitter clingers".
    Had a race baiting Reverend as his mentor.
    Believes in "spreading the wealth around."
    Has a wife that reflects their disdain for this country; how can you not be proud of America in your lifetime?
    Sought out and worked with a domestic terrorist on two boards.
    Slighted American troops as those who are "air raiding villages and killing civilians.'"

    This is the short list, and any one of these would be enough to dismiss any Republican from voting for such a candidate.

    I do like the fact Powell keeps coming out to speak on the matter because each time he says less and less about why he voted for Obama, and he started at zero, so he's now in negative territory. His public displays also afford the opportunity for Conservatives to ask him once again why he voted for the radical duo of Obama/Biden... it's an indefensible vote if you look at the facts, and with each public appearance on the issue, Powell becomes less and less relevant.

    An aside; after watching Biden in action, I think it's fair to say Palin would do a far better job than Woodshed Joe.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-27-09 at 06:19 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •