Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 236

Thread: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    Neocon began to be used during the Reagan administration and resurged during the Bush administration to describe those who supported toppling the leadership of a nation in order to set-up a democracy. If we have been doing that since WWII, tell me what nations we invaded, occuppied and attempted to establish democracies in prior to Iraq.
    Once again no one in the United States has ever taken a position that suggests we just topple any regime that is not a Democracy. The case of Afghanistan and Iraq were born out of events that surrounded 9-11 and the realization that a declaration of war on our society by those who would attack us should be taken seriously and that UN resolutions against a despot like Saddam should actually finally be enforced.

    The notion that we have been doing that since WWII requires willful ignorance of history. What were doing was supporting regimes/governments that were resisting direct forcible Communist attempts take over their nation’s governments. Now maybe you think Communists should have taken over the Middle East, Asia and South America by force, but a vast majority would disagree with your assertions.

    Communism was a violent and despotic one party system that was desirous of our destruction as a nation based on our Democratic ideals.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Where did this ridiculous view come from that any political party is one opinion, rather than a range? The GOP is and has been for a while the party ranging from center-right to far-right.

    Right now the centrists who decide elections are fed up with the Republicans of the last few years and have started voting Democrat. It is because of this shift that the Republican Party has become more right-wing, not the other way around: as it loses moderates, the "average member" becomes more conservative. It did not lose moderates by not being moderate enough. It lost moderates by being hypocritical and lacking clear values.
    What I find so amusing about this trite analogy of this perceived "centrist" revolt against Republicans is that the supposed centrist “revolters” chose a party that was even MORE of what they revolted against in the first place.

    It is equally amusing when I saw some who claimed they were Conservative suggest they were going to teach those big bad corrupt Republicans a lesson by........voting in corrupt Leftist Liberals.

    Forget the FACT that after four decades of Liberal Democrat control of the Congress, Republicans for the very short time they held power actually balanced a budget.

    Yep, we showed those bad Republicans a thing or two; how dare they actually want us to keep MORE of our money! We showed them by electing people that will NEVER get enough of it and have now put us in a record deficit our children’s children will be paying for!

    You just can't fabricate the lunacy of such asinine logic.

  3. #103
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts, U.S.
    Last Seen
    03-23-11 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    585

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    What I find so amusing about this trite analogy of this perceived "centrist" revolt against Republicans is that the supposed centrist “revolters” chose a party that was even MORE of what they revolted against in the first place.

    It is equally amusing when I saw some who claimed they were Conservative suggest they were going to teach those big bad corrupt Republicans a lesson by........voting in corrupt Leftist Liberals.

    Forget the FACT that after four decades of Liberal Democrat control of the Congress, Republicans for the very short time they held power actually balanced a budget.

    Yep, we showed those bad Republicans a thing or two; how dare they actually want us to keep MORE of our money! We showed them by electing people that will NEVER get enough of it and have now put us in a record deficit our children’s children will be paying for!

    You just can't fabricate the lunacy of such asinine logic.
    I'm not a fan of that logic either, but I would cordially point out that the most recent batch of Congressional Republicans didn't do such a bang-up job balancing the budget.

    And as a moderate (or at least self-proclaimed), it's not like we're crashing the GOP tent yelling, "Let us in!" It's just that the tent has gotten rather small, and Republicans might be quite lonely if they only pander to those already in there.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    So he says McCain picked Palin, a sound conservative with more qualifications to hold the office of President than the Democrat candidate and his plagiarizing running mate combined, wasn't a sound choice. Must be because she's not only a woman, but white, too.

    Skippy was unhappy at the "personal attacks" by the GOP on the Kenyan Kandidate, as if he's been totally blind to the tactics employed by the Democrats since the Reagan Era, tactics the Red Queen herself labeled "Politics of Personal Destruction". I guess he also missed The Messiah's deliberate introduction of racism into the campaign with his "dollar bill" comments. That couldn't be racist, right? After all, Obama is black, like Powell, and hence can't be racist.

    Seems pretty light on what Obama's qualifications are, though, merely mindlessly repeated attacks on the Republicans that he'd heard from others.

    AH! Here's a positive "qualification" he cites:



    He's saying Obama can kiss European ass better than McCain. Frankly, I don't see a need to kiss European ass at any time, and this "qualification" isn't valid.

    Here's this one...



    So he's supporting a candidate who espouses all the wrong economic approaches, instead. Well, if Skippy is this ignorant, his opinion doesn't matter. Why does his opinion matter again? Oh, yeah, because he's black, he's a turncoat, and he's black.



    See? Skippy isn't an American, even if he's registered in the GOP. He would have difficulty with judges that obeyed the Constitution.

    Yep, he came up with no real reasons, because his real reason is that Skippy's black and his Messiah is black, too.
    I have to say.....BRAVO on this one.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    I'm not a fan of that logic either, but I would cordially point out that the most recent batch of Congressional Republicans didn't do such a bang-up job balancing the budget.
    But that is only if you prefer denial; they had run up a deficit dealing with 9-11, two wars VOTED FOR BY OVERWHELMING margins by our Congress and dealing with the devastation of TWO hurricanes on major cities.

    FACT: the final year Republicans were in charge the deficit was going DOWN from a high of about $200 billion. After Democrats took over, the deficit proceeded to climb to over $400 billion and with the election of Obama, over a trillion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    And as a moderate (or at least self-proclaimed), it's not like we're crashing the GOP tent yelling, "Let us in!" It's just that the tent has gotten rather small, and Republicans might be quite lonely if they only pander to those already in there.
    The tent has NEVER gotten smaller; that is mere hyperbole. The major differences between the Republican Tent and the Democrat tent is that Republicans actually attempt to stand for something while Democrats attempt to say anything to get elected and pander to voters with emotionally driven giveaways that do NOTHING to make their voters situations better.

    Do not mistake my arguments as being a defense of the Republican Party as many on this forum tend to think, I just prefer the LESSER of TWO evils. I distrust ALL politicians; I just prefer the ones who still believe that political service is a privilege and not a form of royalty and still believe that the money I earn is actually mine and who do not believe that I should be thankful for what they allow me to keep.

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in a neocon's craw
    Last Seen
    04-24-17 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,801

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    I'm not going to waste time reading all 3 pages of bickering over how Powell is really just a liberal.

    Instead I'd just like to say, please ignore Powell and anyone else who thinks the CCCP needs to move back toward the center. They are all liberal commy athiests who want to steal xmas and replace it with Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton day.

  7. #107
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts, U.S.
    Last Seen
    03-23-11 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    585

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    But that is only if you prefer denial; they had run up a deficit dealing with 9-11, two wars VOTED FOR BY OVERWHELMING margins by our Congress and dealing with the devastation of TWO hurricanes on major cities.

    FACT: the final year Republicans were in charge the deficit was going DOWN from a high of about $200 billion. After Democrats took over, the deficit proceeded to climb to over $400 billion and with the election of Obama, over a trillion.
    Situation and circumstance is relevant, of course. My point is that the current deficits aren't so much the result of "tax and spend" policies as much as a huge economic downturn, two wars and a worldwide fight against terrorism. But I suppose this isn't terribly relevant to the current state of the Republican party.

    The tent has NEVER gotten smaller; that is mere hyperbole. The major differences between the Republican Tent and the Democrat tent is that Republicans actually attempt to stand for something while Democrats attempt to say anything to get elected and pander to voters with emotionally driven giveaways that do NOTHING to make their voters situations better.

    Do not mistake my arguments as being a defense of the Republican Party as many on this forum tend to think, I just prefer the LESSER of TWO evils. I distrust ALL politicians; I just prefer the ones who still believe that political service is a privilege and not a form of royalty and still believe that the money I earn is actually mine and who do not believe that I should be thankful for what they allow me to keep.
    Fair enough - I won't mistake you for a Republican spokesman.

    I would argue that when some Republicans (read: Dick Cheney and good ol' Rush) start painting fellow moderate Republicans as traitors to the party, the tent is shrinking. It's one thing to be firmly pro-choice. It's another thing to refuse to let anyone pro-choice into the same political party.

    The real issue here is what kind of candidates the RNC plans to run in the 2010 election. If they follow Cheney and Limbaugh's advice, it looks like they'll turn completely to strict social conservatives who can't win in some states. I sincerely doubt this will happen, but it remains worrisome. I think this is what Colin Powell was getting at, and I think this lies at the heart of the GOP's near future.

  8. #108
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Slippery Slope View Post
    I'm not going to waste time reading all 3 pages of bickering over how Powell is really just a liberal.

    Instead I'd just like to say, please ignore Powell and anyone else who thinks the CCCP needs to move back toward the center. They are all liberal commy athiests who want to steal xmas and replace it with Jesse Jackson/Al Sharpton day.
    -That isn't what people were arguing about
    -You're assuming that a party is one belief rather than a range of beliefs
    -You're assuming that the "CCCP" started out centrist, and can only appeal to centrists by having one universal platform that is towards the center
    -You're assuming that moderates left the party because it is getting farther right, not the other way around
    -You're assuming that a party with a conservative platform can't appeal to moderates
    -For that matter, you're assuming that a party with a liberal platform can't do the same thing
    -You're ignoring the fact that, despite the Dems choosing a leftist candidate for President and the Republicans choosing a moderate, more moderates voted for the leftist
    -You're ignoring the fact that moderates decide elections, and therefore leave corrupted parties and join popular ones
    Last edited by Dav; 05-26-09 at 06:39 PM.

  9. #109
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,418

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    McCain's nomination in the primary is a diverse thing.

    For one, you had "The base" split between Romney, Huck, and Paul with some also leaning towards Rudy and McCain. However, for the most part, moderates seemed pretty set on McCain and Rudy, but Rudy was non-existant for the most part in this so you had McCain.

    It canibalized itself, with in the end it falling essentially between McCain and Huck, with the social conservatives backing Huck and the rest going "oh god...I'm not sure about either of these" andp robably taking a chance McCain had a better shot at beating Obama or Hillary.



    In a word, yes.

    I'm advocating Duopoly because Monopoly of political ideas is bad. Its the same reason that I do NOT want moderates completely purged from the Republican party. You need the other side within any movement, or country, to keep things moderated a bit and to keep you continually re-examining things.

    You've got the Dems, and lets call them Coke.

    Then you have the Reps, and they have two choices to be...Diet Coke or Mountain Dew.

    The voters are the consumers, and for the sake of things lets say the consumers key thing is taste. Most of those consumers may not mind Diet Coke, but why buy Diet Coke when you can buy real Coke and get the full taste instead of the watered down sweetner? Sure, a few people may prefer the taste of Diet Coke but most people that want Coke are going to go full out for the real thing.

    With Mountain Dew you may very well find some people that go "Ugg, I don't like this at all" because its nothing like Coke at all. However, there's a better chance of getting a larger following than with Diet Coke because all those people that are going "I don't like Coke at all, but this seems interesting and I like it" are suddenly all gung ho for you.

    I'm advocating that the Republican foundation must be solidly conservative because without it there will be no national conservative message and no national debate other than to be Left or More Left and I don't think that's good...no more than I would think Right or More Right would be a good thing.



    Perhaps they are. Actually, I think that's EXACTLY what they're trying for....and I rebel against it, fight against it, and will happily try to remove those that are doing so because I think they are doing a detriment to the party, the ideology, and the country by doing so. I as a voter want a national party that represents my ideals at least in a majority way. I want a conservative party that is actually viable on a national scene and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit by and just go "Well, some big talking heads in washington want to dictate to us little people whats 'really best for us' so I'll just shut up and move along". **** no. Let them try to purge the staunch conservatives. If the Republican party is going to be of any use to this country, to conservatives, and to the majority of its base in the next 5 to 10 years that purge needs to be faught against and fail or we're condemned to probably 15 to 20 years of unthinking, unchecked, and absolutely worthless years of Left or More Left.
    Truly a very good post Zyph. Obviously I disagree with you on some of your points, and I'll not belabor them...but I just wanted to say thanks for the intelligent, articulate, and well tempered post. You expressed your partisanship in a thoughtful way, taking a relative high road as compared to the gutter that some on this forum often fall into when expressing a difference of political ideals.

    It's guys like you that will rescue your party, even I'm not necessarily about all that.
    *insert profound statement here*

  10. #110
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Re: Powell cautions against a GOP slide to the right

    What are Powell's views on specific issues? Does anyone here know?

    And by the way, Powell and any other so called moderate who wants to move the GOP to the left must explain why, when the ideal moderate Republican candidate (John McCain) was there to be elected, they chose to vote for Obama.

    OBL 11/24/02

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •