Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 503

Thread: Conservative radio host gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

  1. #121
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Conservative radio host gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Nazi's tortured people to protect the homeland.

    And supported the apparent benifits of it's employment.
    Which proves that evil is not the same as stupid.

  2. #122
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,462

    Re: Conservative radio hosts gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Bravo Zimmer, pretty much puts the emotional hysterics, lies and distortions typified by ADK and Slippery's arguments in perspective doesn't it?
    No it doesn't. It means we have a CIA memo indicating that ONE subject who was subjected to torture provided actionable information. One. That does not mean that torture is effective across the board, it means that torture worked on that one individual. Nothing more.

    Of course the idea of being the "good guys" doesn't matter to you armchair hotshots anymore does it? I'd love to see the way you react after being waterboarded 183 times.
    *insert profound statement here*

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Conservative radio host gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    Nazi's tortured people to protect the homeland.

    And supported the apparent benifits of it's employment.
    I invoke Godwin's Law.

    Two Jewish children are sitting on top of a roof near a chimney. A passer-by asks, 'What are you doing there?'


    'We are waiting for our parents.'
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-27-09 at 12:43 AM.

  4. #124
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Conservative radio hosts gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
    No it doesn't. It means we have a CIA memo indicating that ONE subject who was subjected to torture provided actionable information. One. That does not mean that torture is effective across the board, it means that torture worked on that one individual. Nothing more.
    That actually overstates it a bit. In one case, we got some intelligence using EIT's. There is no way to know if we would have gotten similar, or better, or nothing using standard interrogation methods.

  5. #125
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,462

    Re: Conservative radio host gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I invoke Godwin's Law.

    Two Jewish children are sitting on top of a roof near a chimney. A passer-by asks, 'What are you doing there?'


    'We are waiting for our parents.'
    Oh.

    My.

    God.

    That.

    Was.

    Brutally.

    Funny.





    *insert profound statement here*

  6. #126
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Conservative radio hosts gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That actually overstates it a bit. In one case, we got some intelligence using EIT's. There is no way to know if we would have gotten similar, or better, or nothing using standard interrogation methods.
    Damn shame folks have to make decisions without perfect knowledge, huh? All that taking of risks and chances and doing something because doing nothing amounts to suicide.

    Horrors.

  7. #127
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Conservative radio hosts gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Damn shame folks have to make decisions without perfect knowledge, huh? All that taking of risks and chances and doing something because doing nothing amounts to suicide.

    Horrors.
    Let's not exaggerate. Not torturing any prisoners would hardly have been suicide. I can see why you felt the need to exaggerate, since you had no real point without it, but it does not change the fact that it is a complete exaggeration.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Conservative radio hosts gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Let's not exaggerate. Not torturing any prisoners would hardly have been suicide. I can see why you felt the need to exaggerate, since you had no real point without it, but it does not change the fact that it is a complete exaggeration.
    Not exaggerating at all....not even a stretch of imagination.

    You see, in the real world (that's this world, the one with both good and bad guys, just so you know), decisions are made all the time without perfect information....like whether a certain terrorist is more likely to talk after a shot of water up the nose or after tea and crumpets on the veranda. In the real world, interrogators don't get to peak into the future to know if this or that technique is going to win the race to unlock the terrorist tongue. They have to make these things called judgment calls--they have to decide which techniques are going to work on which terrorists, and they have to hope and pray they make the right call each time.

    You're right to say that we don't know if other techniques might have been quicker for this or that terrorist. We also don't know how much worse those same alternative techniques might have been. And none of that amounts to a damn thing, because despite all the not knowing, interrogators still have to do their jobs, they still have to make hard calls, and they still don't get to indulge in your favorite fabianism of "wait and see."

  9. #129
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:46 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Conservative radio hosts gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Not exaggerating at all....not even a stretch of imagination.

    You see, in the real world (that's this world, the one with both good and bad guys, just so you know), decisions are made all the time without perfect information....like whether a certain terrorist is more likely to talk after a shot of water up the nose or after tea and crumpets on the veranda. In the real world, interrogators don't get to peak into the future to know if this or that technique is going to win the race to unlock the terrorist tongue. They have to make these things called judgment calls--they have to decide which techniques are going to work on which terrorists, and they have to hope and pray they make the right call each time.

    You're right to say that we don't know if other techniques might have been quicker for this or that terrorist. We also don't know how much worse those same alternative techniques might have been. And none of that amounts to a damn thing, because despite all the not knowing, interrogators still have to do their jobs, they still have to make hard calls, and they still don't get to indulge in your favorite fabianism of "wait and see."
    And none of that amounts to "suicide", which is what I commented on. No, you are right, no one knows what will work, or what won't. So we have to play the odds, and attempt to do what is best. But even if we guess wrong, it will hardly be suicide as you try and claim. You are exaggerating, which is the only way you can make your point be effective.

    You are right, this is real life. It's not an episode of 24, where a little torture saves the country. That is a drama, it is not real.

  10. #130
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Conservative radio hosts gets waterboarded, and lasts six seconds before.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    And none of that amounts to "suicide", which is what I commented on.
    Doing nothing (i.e., your approach) about terrorism might as well be. Dithering because you don't know what will happen if you use technique "A" or "B" only makes sure that no useful information will be gathered, that future terror attacks will not be stopped, and that lives will be lost.

    At some point you have to get over yourself, deal with the fact that you don't know every last detail about things, and make a decision. Try it some time--the results might surprise you.

Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •