Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 155

Thread: North Korea conducts nuclear test

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: North Korea conducts nuclear test

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    What was Iraq that North Korea is not that made it OK to invade Iraq but not North Korea?
    Perhaps it was the FACT that Iraq had invaded a neighboring nation and as a result ejected from Iraq by a vast UN Coalition led by the US and that Iraq signed AGREEMENTS with the United Nations to comply with their resolutions and disarm and disband ALL his WMD and missile programs and that for the next ten years defied the UN and kicked out the inspectors?

    But again, how would you know when you obviously never took the time to read the Joint Resolution which would require a modicum of effort on your part as it is a mere 1,857 words, give or take a few.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: North Korea conducts nuclear test

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    Yes it does logically follow. If country performs action A and we invade because of action A and another like country performs action A should they not receive the same response as the previous country?

    To not adhere to this logic there must be something different between Iraq and North Korea that made Iraq MORE of a threat to us then North Korea currently is. What is that threat?
    There is profound irony in claiming that your argument contains logic; you believe that if we invade Iraq for a set of reasons this naturally suggests that we should invade another nation due to its similarities? Are you REALLY claiming this is "logical?"

  3. #133
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: North Korea conducts nuclear test

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I see you also have little comprehension of what is meant by a "state of hostility" or "conflict".
    Not at all. The definition of "conflict" is clearly defined. Does the situation's with Russia invading Georgia, Iran, and North Korea not fall under this definition of what a conflict is?

    conflict

    1: fight, battle, war <an armed conflict>
    2 a: competitive or opposing action of incompatibles : antagonistic state or action (as of divergent ideas, interests, or persons) b: mental struggle resulting from incompatible or opposing needs, drives, wishes, or external or internal demands3: the opposition of persons or forces that gives rise to the dramatic action in a drama or fiction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Your weak efforts to be purposefully obtuse to avoid the farcical arguments presented do not make your efforts any more credible. The historic record is LONG on the fact that a state of war can indeed exist WITHOUT a formal declaration of war and this is hardly a "partisan" argument.
    I'm just taking the definition of a conflict and seeing that we are in a state of struggle of incompatible needs, drives, wishes with these countries. Thus we are in a conflict and a state of hostility, and by your definition previously provided, a war.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  4. #134
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: North Korea conducts nuclear test

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    There is profound irony in claiming that your argument contains logic; you believe that if we invade Iraq for a set of reasons this naturally suggests that we should invade another nation due to its similarities? Are you REALLY claiming this is "logical?"
    Yes. He is.
    Sad, isnt it?

    I guess that since I used blue paint in one room, it logically follows that I must use blue paint in all my rooms.


  5. #135
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: North Korea conducts nuclear test

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Please show us where it is stated in the Constitution that a state of war cannot exist between our nation and another unless the Congress formally declares war.

    I would like to see this Constitutional law.
    The Constitution grants the power to declare war to Congress, and to Congress alone. Are you seriously denying this?

    Source [Cornell University Law School | US Constitution Article 1 Section 8]

    The Congress shall have power...To declare war

  6. #136
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: North Korea conducts nuclear test

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    No, it does not -- in fact, its not even close.

    Invasion was one option in Iraq. Invasion is one option in NK.
    That Invasion was chosen as the option for Iraq in no way necessitates that invasion must also be chosen in NK.
    This I will agree with. I just find it hypocritical to support invading one country for possibly having WMD but not invading an equally threatening country that we know does have WMD.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  7. #137
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: North Korea conducts nuclear test

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    The Constitution grants the power to declare war to Congress, and to Congress alone. Are you seriously denying this?
    No one denies that the power for the US to declare war in reserved to Congress -- BUT -- nothing in the Constititutiuon says that the ONLY way the US can be in a state of war is said declaration by congress.

    (Hmm... where have I heard that before...?)

  8. #138
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: North Korea conducts nuclear test

    Quote Originally Posted by Gibberish View Post
    This I will agree with. I just find it hypocritical to support invading one country for possibly having WMD but not invading an equally threatening country that we know does have WMD.
    Who isnt supporting the idea that invasion is a potential option for dealing with NK?

  9. #139
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: North Korea conducts nuclear test

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Yes. He is.
    Sad, isnt it?

    I guess that since I used blue paint in one room, it logically follows that I must use blue paint in all my rooms.

    If one person breaks into your house and you have him arrested, logically you would have the next person that broke into your house arrested to.
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

  10. #140
    Sage
    Gibberish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Last Seen
    12-23-12 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: North Korea conducts nuclear test

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    There is profound irony in claiming that your argument contains logic; you believe that if we invade Iraq for a set of reasons this naturally suggests that we should invade another nation due to its similarities? Are you REALLY claiming this is "logical?"
    X performs A happens and B occurs.
    Y performs A, B occurs again.

    How is a like effect to a similar cause illogical?
    "Gold gets dug out of the ground in Africa, or someplace. Then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility. Anyone watching from Mars would be scratching their head."
    - Warren Buffett

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •