Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 132

Thread: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    12-10-11 @ 02:19 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,122

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Again no comparison.
    You are right, there is no comparison.

    What happens to an extra curricular club is completely irrelevant when contrasted with a real problem like the systemic leftism of faculty in State schools across the nation.

    Conservatives having trouble getting tenure is a problem.

    Some club ? Not even worth notice.

  2. #72
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Left leaning does not mean it is taking away the rights of people.

    Again, can you tell me a "left-leaning" college that has BANNED the Republican clubs like Liberty did? If not, your assertion that left-leaning is equated to taking away liberties is irrelevant, unlike this hypocritical named school such as Liberty University.
    Did you have difficulty reading the rest of my post?

    The fact that it's in most cases not quite as extreme as at Liberty doesn't justify it. I'd like to think that we hold real schools to a higher standard.
    hope that sheds some light on that for you.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #73
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    And before someone says they are a private school and have the right to ban whatever club they want, I am willing to be they couldn't ban an African American club.
    Can you think of a legal reason why political predilections are treated differently than racial characteristics?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The Gaggle : Liberty University Bans Democrat Club



    I know it's an editorial but it stems from a real event. If someone can find a better article I'd appreciate it.

    I realize this is a private institution so they can do what they want, but I still believe a broader issue is going on here: the politicization of educational institutions. How can you just outright ban a Democrat club on these social fringe issues? It would be like banning the GOP club because you don't support war. As if the GOP never does anything "unchristian".

    I am forced to say that you're not responding to the politicization of American universities, not.

    You're responding to the decision by one minor university that the positions held by the Democrats are not compatible with their private charter, an act that comes after more than forty years of unremarked leftist politicization
    in all the major universities in the nation.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    Actually, decisions of war would come under the shading of accepting that the people in authority are due obedience, which is also part of Christian doctrine.

    This ain't Rome, the US government ain't "caesar", and no, they're not owed obedience if their commands violate the law.

  6. #76
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Gore won the popular vote.
    Gore lost his home state, something almost never seen in presidential elections.

    Gore lost the vote that counted, the vote in Floriduh! and thus the Electoral College vote.

  7. #77
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Gore lost his home state, something almost never seen in presidential elections.

    Gore lost the vote that counted, the vote in Floriduh! and thus the Electoral College vote.
    I doubt Winston has ever read the Constitution, so he is unlikely to know how Presidents are elected.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  8. #78
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes, you responded that you felt universities were political, yet they haven't banned clubs due to political views. However, this unfit Liberty University has.

    Again no comparison.
    Unfit? What's that suppose to mean?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #79
    Dorset Patriot
    Wessexman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia(but my heart is back in Dorset.)
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 04:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    8,468

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yes, you responded that you felt universities were political, yet they haven't banned clubs due to political views. However, this unfit Liberty University has.

    Again no comparison.
    What is your point? Did I make a comparison, did I say my Uni was as bad? Or was I just responding to Orius' comment about politicalised unis.

    You and your Non-sequiturs TNE.
    "It is written in the eternal constitution that men of intemperate minds cannot be free. Their passions forge their fetters." - Edmund Burke

  10. #80
    Professor
    formerroadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 08:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,014

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    FIRE - Free Speech

    It already happens, and at real universities to boot.
    I'm looking through the list there: where is the RNC ban?

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •