Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 132

Thread: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

  1. #111
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    has every thing to do with religion but if it has anything to do with the Bible that is debatable.
    You post that above and then go on with what is below.

    Small conterdiction don't you think?

    Quote Originally Posted by F107HyperSabr View Post
    "Liberty" "University" has every right to restrict the liberties of it's students. The students at "Liberty" "University" knew what they were getting into or their parents knew. "Liberty" "University" was founded to warp, shape, control the thinking and mold the minds of students into the ways of the aims of that so called "Univerisity" .
    One has nothing to do with the other as I said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #112
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The Gaggle : Liberty University Bans Democrat Club



    I know it's an editorial but it stems from a real event. If someone can find a better article I'd appreciate it.

    I realize this is a private institution so they can do what they want, but I still believe a broader issue is going on here: the politicization of educational institutions. How can you just outright ban a Democrat club on these social fringe issues? It would be like banning the GOP club because you don't support war. As if the GOP never does anything "unchristian".

    Wouldn't this story be the equivalent of a feminist liberal commie pro-Abortion themed(If such a school was open about their beliefs) school banning a conservative group?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It is about the right of private institutions to set the guide lines for admission or clubs as they see fit.
    So if a university outlawed all blacks to the school that would be legal by you and the government right? After all you are claiming that a private institution has the right to institute policies however it sees fit.

  4. #114
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    So if a university outlawed all blacks to the school that would be legal by you and the government right? After all you are claiming that a private institution has the right to institute policies however it sees fit.
    A straw man argument is not acceptable for reasonable debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    A straw man argument is not acceptable for reasonable debate.
    You claimed that a university can set guidelines for admissions or clubs how it sees fit if it is private.

  6. #116
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You claimed that a university can set guidelines for admissions or clubs how it sees fit if it is private.
    I claimed any private institution can do this. You are trying to say this can somehow ignore the 14th Amendment or get around present laws. It is nothing more than a straw man on your part.

    Sorry not going to play that silly game.

    Also has nothing to do with my argument. You need to read back and look at it in context.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-24-09 at 10:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I claimed any private institution can do this. You are trying to say this can somehow ignore the 14th Amendment or get around present laws. It is nothing more than a straw man on your part.

    Sorry not going to play that silly game.

    Also has nothing to do with my argument. You need to read back and look at it in context.
    Ah so then you admit your claim is FALSE. Thank you for admitting that. A university cannot simply do ANYTHING because it is private.

  8. #118
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Ah so then you admit your claim is FALSE. Thank you for admitting that. A university cannot simply do ANYTHING because it is private.
    You have got to be kidding?

    Please tell me that is not the best you could come up with to counter my argument?
    Last edited by Black Dog; 05-24-09 at 10:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #119
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,515

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    I guess it was. To bad I had hoped for more than just a fallacy argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Liberty University Bans Democrat Club

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You have got to be kidding?

    Please tell me that is not the best you could come up with to counter my argument?
    It is quite clear a private university cannot simply do whatever it wants, so my question is when does the 1st amendment rights of the school end and the 1st amendment rights of the students begins?

    Obviously there is a line so where is it?

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •