Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 70

Thread: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

  1. #11
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,617

    Re: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Quote Originally Posted by CrusaderRabbit08 View Post
    Wild animals, dude ..wild animals. Also, they come in quite handy for survival.

    I always carry a gun when I go backpacking; and I've hiked many a National Park. Now I'll be able to carry legally when I visit them
    Yes that's the only reason with allowing guns that you can shoot animals and if the park rangers comes you can just say that you shoot the moose in "self defence", or that you got lost and after four hours got hungry and needed some food The only problem is that you loose the purpose of national parks.
    Last edited by Bergslagstroll; 05-21-09 at 10:27 AM.

  2. #12
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergslagstroll View Post
    isn't your national parks also for protection of animal and doesn't that become harder then people are running around with guns legally in the parks?
    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    It may become more common now, thanks to your NRA.
    People who didn't carry guns into parks before this legislation, because it was not legal, are law-abiding citizens by definition. Now that they can legally carry guns into parks, why would they suddenly start poaching animals, or breaking any other laws for that matter? That makes no sense.

    Guns != crime.
    Gun owners != criminals.
    NRA != evil.

  3. #13
    Professor
    CrusaderRabbit08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    05-13-10 @ 02:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,022

    Re: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Quote Originally Posted by Bergslagstroll View Post
    Yes that's the only reason with allowing guns that you can shoot animals and if the park rangers comes you can just say that you shoot the moose in "self defence", or that you got lost and after four hours got hungry and needed some food The only problem is that you loose the purpose of national parks.
    A bull moose is damned dangerous in rutting season. I've encountered feral dogs, who roam in packs, on several occasions when hiking; and these critters have no fear of people.

    Laugh all you want, but the danger from wildlife is real and I'd rather be prepared to meet a threat, than not.

  4. #14
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    ROFL!


    I just LOVE these comments.

    Hey Will, ....blah, blah, blah...
    DC is not a state, and has its own unique problems, which more guns will not fix. It's a fact that the states with the loosest firearm laws have the most deaths by firearms. In order, they are:

    Louisiana - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Nevada - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Kentucky - Permit to Purchase N o
    Registration of Firearms N o
    Licensing of Owners N o

    Alabama - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Alaska - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Mississippi - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No


    For comparison, let's look at New York State, one of the largest metropolitan areas and, you would think, one of the most violent. Right? Wrong. New York has one of the lowest rates of death by firearm, and just maybe it has something to do with its strict gun laws:

    New York - Permit to Purchase Yes
    Registration of Firearms Yes
    Licensing of Owners Yes

    So excuse me for actually using facts to back up an opinion. Maybe you should try it sometime.
    VPC - Who Dies - Firearm Deaths by State, 1996
    NRA-ILA ::
    Last edited by WillRockwell; 05-21-09 at 11:33 AM.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    DC is not a state, and has its own unique problems, which more guns will not fix. It's a fact that the states with the loosest firearm laws have the most deaths by firearms. In order, they are:

    Louisiana - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Nevada - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Kentucky - Permit to Purchase N o
    Registration of Firearms N o
    Licensing of Owners N o

    Alabama - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Alaska - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Mississippi - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No


    For comparison, let's look at New York State, one of the largest metropolitan areas and, you would think, one of the most violent. Right? Wrong. New York has one of the lowest rates of death by firearm, and just maybe it has something to do with its strict gun laws:

    New York - Permit to Purchase Yes
    Registration of Firearms Yes
    Licensing of Owners Yes

    So excuse me for actually using facts to back up an opinion. Maybe you should try it sometime.
    VPC - Who Dies - Firearm Deaths by State, 1996
    NRA-ILA ::
    Thanks for A: not answering the question.

    B: claiming I called DC a state, I didn't I asked which of these CITIES,,,

    I also love that you went to highly biased sources.
    Last edited by Renae; 05-21-09 at 11:43 AM.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #16
    Conservative Independent
    DarkWizard12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Tyler TX
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,562

    Re: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    DC is not a state, and has its own unique problems, which more guns will not fix. It's a fact that the states with the loosest firearm laws have the most deaths by firearms. In order, they are:

    Louisiana - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Nevada - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Kentucky - Permit to Purchase N o
    Registration of Firearms N o
    Licensing of Owners N o

    Alabama - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Alaska - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No

    Mississippi - Permit to Purchase No
    Registration of Firearms No
    Licensing of Owners No


    For comparison, let's look at New York State, one of the largest metropolitan areas and, you would think, one of the most violent. Right? Wrong. New York has one of the lowest rates of death by firearm, and just maybe it has something to do with its strict gun laws:

    New York - Permit to Purchase Yes
    Registration of Firearms Yes
    Licensing of Owners Yes

    So excuse me for actually using facts to back up an opinion. Maybe you should try it sometime.
    VPC - Who Dies - Firearm Deaths by State, 1996
    NRA-ILA ::
    Holy crap dude, all the answers WERE cities!

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Thanks to a 279-147 vote Wednesday in the House of Representatives, visitors to the nation's parks and wildlife refuges will be able to carry weapons there if they abide by state weapons laws. The bill is on its way to President Barack Obama, who faces a dilemma: Gun rights advocates attached the provision to a sweeping overhaul of the credit card industry, an initiative Obama strongly supports, so he has little choice but to let the gun section become law.

    Gun control advocates howled Wednesday, but to little effect.

    I want to howl too. I couldn't agree more with the legislation, but I couldn't disagree more with how it was slipped into an unrelated bill. Legislators who do this kind of thing, why aren't their names made public?
    There was never a valid reason for banning firearms in national parks to begin with.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Agree 100%, one of many areas in need of reform...
    Why does any man need to pack a weapon when he visits a park ??.....have things deteriorated that much ??..
    Then a crack down on crime is necessary..
    Why does anyone need to demonstrate a need to exercise a specifically stated constitutional right?

    I don't believe you demonstrated a need to free speech before you made that post....

  9. #19
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    There was never a valid reason for banning firearms in national parks to begin with.
    There isn't a valid reason to carry guns into a park in the first place. How long will it be until we read a story about one camper shooting another because his campfire smoke was blowing into his camp?
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  10. #20
    Professor
    CrusaderRabbit08's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    05-13-10 @ 02:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,022

    Re: Heading to a national park? Now you can pack heat

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Why does anyone need to demonstrate a need to exercise a specifically stated constitutional right?
    That also applies to unenumerated constitutional rights as protected by the 9th amendment.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •