Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 142

Thread: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Between Hollywood and Compton.
    Last Seen
    11-25-09 @ 12:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5,497

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Doesn't matter. What matters is for whatever reason he doesn't understand and is deluded about his circumstances. He did not tell the courts he accepts he may die without treatment and that is his choice. He told them he doesn't believe he's as sick as the drs. say, he doesn't believe he needs treatment, and he doesn't believe he may die.

    If he were an older man, my father, I'd have him declared mentally unsound. I don't much care why he can't grip reality, it's only important to note that he hasn't. If he had a hold on reality, a grasp of the weight of his circumstances, and then made the choice that would be a bit different.
    There's no hardwired element in him that would resist informed awareness of these circumstances, I'd imagine. Hence, the solution is to thoroughly inform him of every conceivable circumstance and implication of any specific course of action, and then take him to a room out of earshot of his parents and ask him what his choice would be.

  2. #122
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Whoa, I just...agreed with ADK...I need to lay down.
    Ain't it a wonderful world?

    Maybe we should pick lottery #s today or play a pony?
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  3. #123
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    I don't believe that the mother is doing this based on deeply held religious conviction.
    Religion is 100% what this is all about! This is another (dumb and brainwashed) couple who are so wrapped up in the tiny, stupid details of their religion that they can't see the big picture, that they can't think for themselves.

    They are just as out-there as those who would kill their daughter because she dishonored the family by getting raped, or a Christian who believes the bible literally where it says, "an eye for an eye".
    Last edited by ADK_Forever; 05-21-09 at 08:32 AM.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by ADK_Forever View Post
    Religion is 100% what this is all about! This is another (dumb and brainwashed) couple who are so wrapped up in the tiny, stupid details of their religion that they can't see the big picture, that they can't think for themselves.

    They are just as out-there as those who would kill their daughter because she dishonored the family by getting raped, or a Christian who believes the bible literally where it says, "an eye for an eye".
    Bull. Check out this site for their "religion." Nemenhah Band : Spiritual Adoption It's a front for getting around the religion loophole in the law. When did she "apply" to be a "healer" in that "religion?" It's a scam. IMO--she's being crazy like a fox while at the same time being abused by a charlatan who makes money off from desperate people. Notice the charlatan is backing away from this lady's actions--even though this lady's actions are entirely in line with the "religion's" so-called "beliefs."

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Where's the "body soverignty" crowd.
    I've been trying to smoke them out, but they would have to side with "religion" if they showed their faces, so they've so far stayed in the hole.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Show me one post where I commented on the dad.
    You jumped into an exchange where the side of the conversation you chose to defend was railing against the "parents"

    Not the mother only, but the "parents".

    You quoted a response against someone opposed to "parents", not the mother only, and then defended the position against "parents", so I don't care what you posted before because you since changed your argument.

  7. #127
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Nashville/Little Mexico Tennessee
    Last Seen
    06-02-09 @ 12:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    523

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    I don't believe that the mother is doing this based on deeply held religious conviction. I think she's using it as an excuse. Apparently there is a state law on the matter. That I was not aware of. If it's vague--like it's quoted above--I think there's wiggle room, but not much. I don't like the idea that people can be compelled to have extraordinary medical procedures done--I'm very libertarian in that regard--My health, and my family's health is MY business. However--I very much support state's rights to decide matters. I guess I must concede that the state has the right to do this, but I disagree with the fundamental issue of saving people from their own stupidity. Freedom is more important to me than one family making a choice most people would not make--and to compromise liberty for that exception is not worth it, IMO.

    Where's the "body soverignty" crowd.


    The body of soverignty crowd is right here

    Freedom !

    I spent 14 long years in hospital ER`s , Intesive care units, Chemo, OR..., as a practicioner. I want my freedom to choose.

    "Freedom", takes on a whole new meaning, as a refuge from those who wish to decide for me.

    Scientologist John Travolta was not faulted by the general populace,( or most people in DP), nor charged by the law, for decideing that Scientology, and not siezure meds, would be his sons cure/treatment. That was a siezure, that caused the fall, that caused.... many of you folks are selective in choosing the facts on which you base your opinions.
    Last edited by Rodney; 05-21-09 at 12:07 PM.

  8. #128
    Guru
    ADK_Forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Seen
    05-07-11 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    IMO--she's being crazy like a fox
    She's not that smart.
    Thank You Barack Obama for Restoring Honor To The Presidency.
    President Obama will rank as one of our greatest presidents!

  9. #129
    Advisor Birdzeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    East Coast - mid Atlantic
    Last Seen
    12-10-16 @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    341

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    I find it a bit odd that the parents' faith did not stop them from allowing one chemo session. My hunch is that after they saw the effects of the chemo on their son, they decided to stop it and rely on faith.

    IMO, any parent, no matter how well intentioned, who does not give his/her child the best chance for survival (in this case, that would be the chemo), is guilty of child abuse. My opinion of what is child abuse is probably not the same as the legal definition, so my opinion is worth about a plug nickel.

    Chemotherapy is an ugly matter. You lose your hair and you puke your guts out. It must have been hard for this kid's parents to see him go through that. I know it was hard for my parents to agree to some unpleasant (but not as unpleasant as chemo) medical treatments to treat some of the illnesses I had while growing up.

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    You jumped into an exchange where the side of the conversation you chose to defend was railing against the "parents"

    Not the mother only, but the "parents".

    You quoted a response against someone opposed to "parents", not the mother only, and then defended the position against "parents", so I don't care what you posted before because you since changed your argument.
    That's cool. I'll stand by that. There's no way dad's a winner either.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •