Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 142

Thread: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    So if Terry Schiavo's husband told the press that Jesus wanted him to pull the feeding tube, you would have supported his decision, right?
    When it came to the next-of-kin issue, I sided with the law, just as I am doing here. You should take better notes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    What you imagine his motive to be is irrelevant. She made a conscious choice to give him the right to make those decisions for her when she married him.
    You're equivocating. You can't argue for next-of-kin automatic final-say while arguing against it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    And her parents were not able to improve her condition, because no such treatment exists. They just wanted to cling to the hope that some day they'd get their daughter back. That's perfectly understandable, but it should not be the basis for our legal system and certainly should not be the basis for random acts of nosiness by the US Congress.
    As I said:

    When it came to the next-of-kin issue, I sided with the law, just as I am doing here. You should take better notes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Like I told Zyphlin earlier, my position would be exactly the same if the parents were non-religious hippies who mistrusted "The Man" and "corporate medicine."
    See what you did there?

    You framed the idea that the only alternative view must be as irrational as you insist the first view is.

    You pre-exclude alternative views.

    That's the kind of bull**** I'm talking about. That's the sort of nonsense you always pull.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The courts should still order the child to undergo chemotherapy because science suggests it is by far the best course of action.
    "Science" has no authority, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I don't really CARE what the moronic belief system of the parents is...the fact that they are denying their son life-saving medical care is evidence of neglect.
    There it is again, did you notice?

    You have pre-supposed that any belief system the parents have is moronic because of their choice. You don't agree with their choice, therefore they could be credentialed scientists themselves and wouldn't make any difference to you.

    When you don't personally agree, you argue anything necessary to express it.

    You begin with the answers you want and then compose the questions to suit.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-21-09 at 03:39 AM.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Well let's see she claims her son doesn't need treatment because they prefer to adhere to natural remedies like water. The water cure is more in line with their religious beliefs according to them. The court claimed the boy was not afraid of his cancer, he's afraid of the chemo. This is despite the fact that every medical opinion states his prognosis is fantastic if given chemo while death is inevitable without it. The boy is under the misguided impression that chemo will kill him while running from chemo will keep him alive and safe.

    They show the mother a court ordered x-ray to prove to her that the tumor has in fact grown since treatment has been suspended.

    She naturally takes the boy and flees to Mexico.

    Where in the story does she not appear nuts?
    That's not what I asked you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    How do your comments here reflect the parent's views?
    You went off on religious beliefs, but read the entire story:

    And Anthony Hauser now agrees that Daniel needs to be taken back to a doctor for re-evaluation for the best treatment, said Calvin Johnson, an attorney for the parents.

    The family was due in court Tuesday to report the results of a chest X-ray and their arrangements for an oncologist. But only Daniel's father appeared. He told Rodenberg he last saw his wife Monday evening
    .
    Does that sound like a parent who wants to treat their child's cancer with only water to you?

    ***
    Will you people please stop ranting about religion and start reading the god damn article before opening your ****ing trap?

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post

    You have pre-supposed that any belief system the parents have is moronic because of their choice. You don't agree with their choice, therefore they could be credentialed scientists themselves and wouldn't make any difference to you.

    When you don't personally agree, you argue anything necessary to express it.

    You begin with the answers you want and then compose the questions to suit.
    This is facetious. There is a consensus in the medical community that this boy needs treatment, that his prognosis is very good with treatment, and that he'll inevitably die at a young age without it. It's ridiculous to make comparisons to Terry's case no matter what your opinions were on that case. The circumstances are completely different. The factors at play aren't even remotely close to being the same. The parents belief system is moronic because they have turned their back on saving their child's life. There are no credentialed scientists arguing, "The water might work, it really might. "

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's not what I asked you.



    You went off on religious beliefs, but read the entire story:



    Does that sound like a parent who wants to treat their child's cancer with only water to you?

    ***
    Will you people please stop ranting about religion and start reading the god damn article before opening your ****ing trap?
    Is the father the parent that has been viciously attacked in this thread? Nope. It's the goofball mother who took the kid and ran off to Mexico.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    This is facetious. There is a consensus in the medical community that this boy needs treatment, that his prognosis is very good with treatment, and that he'll inevitably die at a young age without it. It's ridiculous to make comparisons to Terry's case no matter what your opinions were on that case. The circumstances are completely different. The factors at play aren't even remotely close to being the same. The parents belief system is moronic because they have turned their back on saving their child's life. There are no credentialed scientists arguing, "The water might work, it really might. "
    Yeah, the dad want's to take the child in to be evaluated for treatment, he really turned his back did he?

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    Is the father the parent that has been viciously attacked in this thread? Nope. It's the goofball mother who took the kid and ran off to Mexico.
    That's not what I asked either.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Yeah, the dad want's to take the child in to be evaluated for treatment, he really turned his back did he?
    Show me one post where I commented on the dad. I have been going off on the mother since the beginning. However if you want the truth the mother's type of nuttiness doesn't generally up and appear overnight. So the father has some responsibility in not protecting the kid from the dingbat he married. If you're married to religious nutcase willing to sacrifice your child's fate to the God's you usually know it.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tiamat's better half
    Last Seen
    10-28-11 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    15,998

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's not what I asked either.
    Whatever Jerry. I won't be run around in circles. The father was charged with neglect just like the mother. The father refused chemo, just like the mother. The father married the crazy lady who took off to Mexico rather than face x-rays showing that her son is in fact getting worse off chemo - as expected.

    The father is no saint. He's a goof too.

    The son has been evaluated for treatment, repeatedly. There is a consensus within the medical community on what exactly that treatment should be. The father has put his son in jeopardy. I have no idea why he also didn't run to Mexico but he gets no brownie points from me. The only thing I'll allow is that maybe he's not as completely gone as the mother. Maybe she's playing with like two cards while he's got half a deck.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    Quote Originally Posted by talloulou View Post
    To defend this mother's behavior under the guise of defending religious freedom is complete malarkey. To turn a blind eye towards this child's need for the state to step in and protect him because you hysterically think the state's protection of this child somehow means big brother is going to dictate what type of hats you put your children in come next year's family Christmas photo is also malarkey.
    I thanked you for your keen use of the word "malarkey".

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Arrest ordered for mom of boy, 13, resisting chemo

    My Way News - Police look for Minn. mother, son who fled chemo
    In Minnesota, District Judge John Rodenberg ruled last week that the Hausers were neglecting their son, and ordered them to consult doctors. He cited a state law requiring parents to provide necessary medical care for a child.

    Most states have similar laws. A few have exemptions allowing parents to refuse treatment on religious grounds, and Minnesota was one of them.
    I don't believe that the mother is doing this based on deeply held religious conviction. I think she's using it as an excuse. Apparently there is a state law on the matter. That I was not aware of. If it's vague--like it's quoted above--I think there's wiggle room, but not much. I don't like the idea that people can be compelled to have extraordinary medical procedures done--I'm very libertarian in that regard--My health, and my family's health is MY business. However--I very much support state's rights to decide matters. I guess I must concede that the state has the right to do this, but I disagree with the fundamental issue of saving people from their own stupidity. Freedom is more important to me than one family making a choice most people would not make--and to compromise liberty for that exception is not worth it, IMO.

    Where's the "body soverignty" crowd.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •