Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 102

Thread: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

    Yet another fine example of political expediency. They whine and bitch about Gitmo but when it comes time to shut it down they curl up into the fetal position and cling tenaciously to their hopes of re-election. This country needs term limits...badly.

  2. #52
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    It wasn't between you and RH - otherwise you'd have sent a PM. You posted it on a public board...so I'd suggest not doing so if you can't take the criticism.
    You can criticize my joke all you want -- again, I won't lose any sleep.

  3. #53
    Sage
    scourge99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    The Wild West
    Last Seen
    01-27-12 @ 02:50 AM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    6,233

    Re: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    You know what I'm saying, you just choose to ignore it.
    ditto.

    I'll use simple words.

    Obama made campaign promises.

    Thus far, he is making strides toward putting many of them into effect.
    I will champion him and be happy I voted for him when he makes good on his promises. Likewise I will denigrate him for his failures.

    Anyone who voted for him thinking that all he had to do was be put into office and everything he promised would instantly materialize is an idiot.
    This is about a man making a campaign promise and for one reason or another is unable to follow through. Its that simple. You simply want to tip-toe around the issue with excuses rather than to do the unthinkable and acknowledge the obvious failure. Excuses are like assholes, everyone's got one.
    If you believe in the Supernatural then you can become a millionaire!

    Questioning or criticizing another's core beliefs is inadvertently perceived as offensive and rude.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Two words, EPIC FAIL for Obama and good for America. I am shocked personally at the 90-6 vote against closing GITMO, Given the attacks on the last admin during the war by many of these senators on GITMO.

    What made them take this stand? Did they see a light? Political seat stability reasons?


    One thing we can say for sure. Is Obama failed here. And I for one am glad that this did not pass. Yes I wished for Obama to fail here.
    What is odd about this whole issue is the question why would Democrats go back on their promises to a whacked out constituency and even vote before a plan to close Guantanamo was ever presented.

    Could this perhaps be a Democrat strategy to allow cover for Obama from once again backtracking on a campaign pledge? Could this be a pre-emptive politically designed effort to protect Obama from himself?

    His speech today was offensive in the extreme and further divides the nation and angers the OTHER side with its warped and slanted message regarding the previous Administrations efforts to protect and defend.

    Obama claims he is cleaning up a mess; that is a lie; he is CREATING a HUGE mess.

    He also lied when he claimed that Gitmo is a recruiting tool for terrorism; there is no credible analysis to support such farcical partisan rhetoric.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

    Quote Originally Posted by goldendog View Post
    So from the Republicans standpoint the only option is Gitmo?

    There are many high security prisions here in the US that are close to towns that are economically depressed and are perfectly capable of holding such prisioners securely as they do with murderers and rapists and other people who certainly want to do bad things to our country.
    The correct standpoint regardless of political affiliation is the honest recognition that these terrorists cannot be brought into the US and stand trial under the evidentiary rules of criminal courts.

    There is little evidence that can be used to prevent some of the most dangerous thugs from being released so that they can commit more terrorism which many of the previous released have already done.

    These thugs were picked up in Afghanistan and Iraq during fights or having been captured at terrorist training camps; there is no "criminal" evidence therefore, in order to KEEP them from committing future terrorist acts, they are kept "indefinably" in places like Gitmo.

    Only in the naive emotionally hysteric minds of Liberals can one believe that these thugs should be brought to our shores and given Habeas Corpus rights in a criminal court of law.

    The reason Obama had to retract his previous position on tribunals is because he has been slapped with REALITY; something the Community Organizer and inexperienced naive campaigner never concerned himself with while denigrating the previous administration.

    The previous administration GETS this; the current one still wallows in ignorance and denial to this REALITY.

    The depth to which Liberal Democrats were willing to sink themselves in such naive hyper partisan BS is patently offensive and serves as a constant reminder why we are a divided nation and should give Obama and his fellow asinine hyper partisan hack Democrats NO quarter EVER.

    Wow, getting all that out makes me feel much better.

  6. #56
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,578

    Re: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    Proof?

    Only the obtuse won't acknowlege the given. Read the article, his party rebuked him.

    Follow the logic bus...





    Proof?

    So wait. You wan't me to prove that politicians are looking out for thier own ass instead of Obama's in this GITMO thing, but you wont even acknowledge he wants to close GITMO?



    I'll post where I wish, and say what I wish. How dare you insinuate I don't have the right? And I didn't state any particular person was a hack. If you don't like it, perhaps it's YOU who should go elsewhere.



    So, what you're really saying, is you have no proof of any of your assertions whatsoever. Got it. Thanks!

    Edit: I'm not a fan of Obama, I'm merely pointing out that you'll use any excuse to bash him. I judge him on the merits of his individual decisions.




    Right. good idea, play obtuse. that makes the most sense for you.



    Seriously. Obama campaigned on closing GITMO, his own party rebuked him. Since I bring it up, it must be I am "bashing him". Please.


    I suggested you go elsewhere for your own good, as it seems this thread has upset you. I don't care where you post. Just don't whine when you get exactly what you give friend.

    if you don't like the attitude I am giving you. Don't cry about "hacks" and me daring to bring up an issue about a political figure, on a political debate forum. It's just silly.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

    Quote Originally Posted by tlmorg02 View Post
    I think they should just send them back from whence they came. If they are killed by their own, so what. If they are not guilty, there should be nothing to fear. If they are, have the tribunals and execute them. Because, you know rehabilitation works so well, and we cannot even afford to keep domestic prisoners in prison. It is ridiculous.
    They cannot be; no other nations, even their own, want them. What do you propose; just dumping them on the beach of these countries in the dark of night?

    The last thing we should be is release these thugs back into the world to commit unthinkable atrocities.

    Gitmo should become the world's prison for terrorists; it would serve as a constant reminder that the world will no longer bury its head in the sand about how to deal with these creeps and opposite to the lies expressed by Obama, serve more as a disincentive to terrorism than a recruiting tool.

    The recruiting tool for more terrorists is the idiotic rhetoric coming from the US President "post turtle" declaring that we will not detain indefinitely terrorists offshore, will never torture them and instead provide them with civil rights they wish to deny others.

    You can't be more idiotic than the current Democrats infesting the halls of US power these days.

  8. #58
    User Analyst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Last Seen
    09-16-09 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    131

    Re: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

    Quote Originally Posted by scourge99 View Post
    ditto.

    I will champion him and be happy I voted for him when he makes good on his promises. Likewise I will denigrate him for his failures.

    This is about a man making a campaign promise and for one reason or another is unable to follow through. Its that simple. You simply want to tip-toe around the issue with excuses rather than to do the unthinkable and acknowledge the obvious failure. Excuses are like assholes, everyone's got one.
    You presume much. I never once claimed, nor would I, that he succeeded in this case. If you need me to acknowledge that to see my point..well, so be it, but it seems pretty obvious that it didn't happen in this case.

    Your assertion was that his campaign promise now goes to the heap of unfulfilled promises. I disagree with your assertion, and propose that by it's very nature a campaign promise is something the candidate will endeavor to make happen, but there's simply no certainty in it actually coming to pass no matter how badly he may want it to. The President doesn't have the power to make anything he wants to occur actually happen - which is a good thing, and by design.

    I look for consistency. He said he will make strides toward this happening, and he did. That's consistent.

  9. #59
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,578

    Re: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

    Quote Originally Posted by Analyst View Post
    You know what I'm saying, you just choose to ignore it.

    I'll use simple words.

    Obama made campaign promises.

    Thus far, he is making strides toward putting many of them into effect.

    Anyone who voted for him thinking that all he had to do was be put into office and everything he promised would instantly materialize is an idiot.

    Does that make it more clear to you?



    Proof?


    Where is the transparency?

    Gitmo is still open.

    etc. etc.


    Which ones is he keeping. I'll wait.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: Senate votes to block funds for Guantanamo closure

    Quote Originally Posted by Laila View Post
    Question. I have always wondered this.

    If they are found innocent, and was tortured or abused [either physically or mentally] by US. Would they get compensation and/or be able to sue US?
    And who would they sue? US Government or a specific person? Or the person doing the torturing?
    Once again, to make such comments suggests complete ignorance about why these people are being detained in the first place; there IS no evidence.

    Good lord, are the nations citizens so uninformed by the media that they cannot begin to comprehend the purpose of Gitmo?

    Let me paint a picture for you; when our troops went into Afghanistan and Iraq they captured non-uniformed enemy combatants. Some were trapped at Al Qaeda training camps, some were captured in fire fights etc etc etc. No one collected any evidence of these individuals actually blowing someone up or shooting someone; our troops are a little busy shooting back to be collecting evidence; therefore, they are declared non-uniformed enemy combatants and kept offshore in a military prison where they can be held INDEFINATELY.

    They are not uniformed military combatants who were fighting for their countries therefore; Geneva Conventions do not apply to them. They were not criminals in the traditional sense because of the nature of the FACTS surrounding their capture.

    Now do you get it? Obama still doesn't but then; I am hardly surprised because his incompetence dealing with reality is only exceeded by his vast ego.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •