Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 60

Thread: Obama faces down abortion heckles

  1. #31
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Catholics shout and interrupt Obama speech

    Moderator's Warning:
    Obama faces down abortion hecklesThread title changed to match the news story. Please review the Breaking News rules.

    Also, amazingly, neither the incorrect NOR the correct title is "Obama uses a teleprompter". There are numerous other threads if you want to discuss the issue indepth. This is not one of them. Take the thread jacking out of this thread or you'll be out of this thread.

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Catholics shout and interrupt Obama speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Moderator's Warning:
    Obama faces down abortion hecklesThread title changed to match the news story. Please review the Breaking News rules.

    Also, amazingly, neither the incorrect NOR the correct title is "Obama uses a teleprompter". There are numerous other threads if you want to discuss the issue indepth. This is not one of them. Take the thread jacking out of this thread or you'll be out of this thread.
    That IS amazing!

    I couldn't tell if the crying baby was a live baby crying, or a tape recorded baby...either way--it's poignant--rude, but poignant, and I think accepting the degree was rude on Obama's part. Maybe not "rude:--classless.

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Catholics shout and interrupt Obama speech

    I will say this....if it was a recorded baby I'll give them credit for one of the most intelligent and ironic forms of protesting that I've seen. Kudos on that.

    Beyond that, I'll say the same thing I've said with Republicans and Democrats. As long as people aren't BREAKING things I support their right to protest. I also think they're rude, classless, jackasses who care more about shoving their political views on everyone instead of considering the rights and desires of other people to perhaps be witness to a rather unique event...a chance to hear a speech from a national politician, especially a President...who may not really care ALL that much either way about the politics and are simply there for the moment. Its INCREDIBLY selfish and prickish in my mind and while I fully support their right to do it if they remain peaceful I still think they're assholes and I'd have no issue exercising MY right to free speech as well to let them know, be it a Democrat or a Republican on stage.

    Want to protest, how about make your point out a bit, allow those that decided to take time out of their lives, a valuable thing for many people, to go to such an event while still being able to make your political views and issues with the person well known.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Catholics shout and interrupt Obama speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I will say this....if it was a recorded baby I'll give them credit for one of the most intelligent and ironic forms of protesting that I've seen. Kudos on that.

    Beyond that, I'll say the same thing I've said with Republicans and Democrats. As long as people aren't BREAKING things I support their right to protest. I also think they're rude, classless, jackasses who care more about shoving their political views on everyone instead of considering the rights and desires of other people to perhaps be witness to a rather unique event...a chance to hear a speech from a national politician, especially a President...who may not really care ALL that much either way about the politics and are simply there for the moment. Its INCREDIBLY selfish and prickish in my mind and while I fully support their right to do it if they remain peaceful I still think they're assholes and I'd have no issue exercising MY right to free speech as well to let them know, be it a Democrat or a Republican on stage.

    Want to protest, how about make your point out a bit, allow those that decided to take time out of their lives, a valuable thing for many people, to go to such an event while still being able to make your political views and issues with the person well known.
    The alternate graduation service in the grotto is CLASSY protest.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Catholics shout and interrupt Obama speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I will say this....if it was a recorded baby I'll give them credit for one of the most intelligent and ironic forms of protesting that I've seen. Kudos on that.

    Beyond that, I'll say the same thing I've said with Republicans and Democrats. As long as people aren't BREAKING things I support their right to protest. I also think they're rude, classless, jackasses who care more about shoving their political views on everyone instead of considering the rights and desires of other people to perhaps be witness to a rather unique event...a chance to hear a speech from a national politician, especially a President...who may not really care ALL that much either way about the politics and are simply there for the moment. Its INCREDIBLY selfish and prickish in my mind and while I fully support their right to do it if they remain peaceful I still think they're assholes and I'd have no issue exercising MY right to free speech as well to let them know, be it a Democrat or a Republican on stage.

    Want to protest, how about make your point out a bit, allow those that decided to take time out of their lives, a valuable thing for many people, to go to such an event while still being able to make your political views and issues with the person well known.
    Yes, that. Thank god there are people who can say what I am thinking in terms better than I know how to use.

    I did find it fascinating that in the clips I saw, the people attending the graduation where booing the people interrupting the ceremony. I did not expect that, being a catholic University graduation.

    Felicity, was there an alternate ceremony outside? Had not heard about that, and if that is the case, that is very classy, and that group deserves praise.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Catholics shout and interrupt Obama speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post

    Felicity, was there an alternate ceremony outside? Had not heard about that, and if that is the case, that is very classy, and that group deserves praise.
    South Bend Tribune: Protesting Notre Dame grads receive diplomas in Grotto

    Led by Fr. Frank Pavone of Priests for Life.
    Abortion - Pro Life - Priests for Life
    Last edited by Felicity; 05-18-09 at 09:55 PM.

  7. #37
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Catholics shout and interrupt Obama speech

    Frankly, I think if the student base is upset...and I can understand some there being upset...that they should be voicing their issues to the school they've paid their money to for an education that chose to put someone up they perceive as against the philosophies of the school.

  8. #38
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: Catholics shout and interrupt Obama speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Yeah...it is. ...And so is accepting an honorary law degree from a Catholic University amid such obvious dissent. IMO, he should have declined the invitation. He undoubtedly could have mentioned his reasons for declining at his interview with Newsweek on the way to Arizona--another contested honorary degree which was not given to him. I think it shows a lack of class, but then again, I'm not impressed with all the personal digs that our president engages in--I think it's beneath the office.
    You are right. It is beneath the office for a President of the United States to accept an honorary degree and speak at Catholic University being that the Catholic Church at one time supported slavery, and whose pope was a member of the Hitler youth.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Catholics shout and interrupt Obama speech

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    You are right. It is beneath the office for a President of the United States to accept an honorary degree and speak at Catholic University being that the Catholic Church at one time supported slavery, and whose pope was a member of the Hitler youth.
    Cool man...Wow...Damn, I'm just so shut up.




  10. #40
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,419

    Re: Catholics shout and interrupt Obama speech

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Cool man...Wow...Damn, I'm just so shut up.



    Just saying, this stuff goes both ways. Obama is hardly the poster child for the pro-choice movement, and the Catholic Church has a lot more blackeyes on it than Obama has.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •