Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 227

Thread: Obama wins over notre dame

  1. #181
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Obama wins over notre dame

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    That's the original hippocratic oath of thousands of years ago. I have no interest in what ancient greeks, who also believed that all sickness was a result of 4 humers being out of balance or some such nonsense, have to think about medical ethics today.

    Nothing, from today's medical ethics, precludes abortion being performed in the first trimester.


    i think though that the 4 humers, are about as scientifically sound as suggesting human life magically begins at 90 days.


    my position is that we don't know, and when we don't know, we should air on the side of life.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama wins over notre dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    i think though that the 4 humers, are about as scientifically sound as suggesting human life magically begins at 90 days.


    my position is that we don't know, and when we don't know, we should air on the side of life.
    I do err on the side of life; the life of the woman who is saddled with an unwanted medical condition that, if left untreated, can burden society with another unwanted or ill treated life.

  3. #183
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Obama wins over notre dame

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I do err on the side of life; the life of the woman who is saddled with an unwanted medical condition that, if left untreated, can burden society with another unwanted or ill treated life.



    unless it's rape, incest, or the mothers life is in danger, she should have thought of that before going to make babies.... no?


    how can you say in one breath you "err on the side of life" but then call human life an "unwanted medical condition"?


    I am not trying to attack you. I simply do not get the reasoning here.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama wins over notre dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    unless it's rape, incest, or the mothers life is in danger, she should have thought of that before going to make babies.... no?


    how can you say in one breath you "err on the side of life" but then call human life an "unwanted medical condition"?


    I am not trying to attack you. I simply do not get the reasoning here.
    I don't feel attacked so its cool. The abortion issue is the short bus to hysteria for both sides so I try not to take offense too quickly. (Though, I just like poking at felicity because I know she can take it and its funny.)

    But to make my answer brief, I don't think that consent to sex is consent to pregnancy. Especially not in our society where sex is used to sell everything under the sun. I'm not willing to allow a young woman to be saddled with a lifetime burden just because she gave in to, or even enjoys, the same lusts that men are commended for enjoying. I'm not ok with punishing her body physically for nine months and altering her entire life permanently because she had sex. With a man. When a man's consequences become equal to that of a woman's, that attitude will change in a heartbeat. But I don't see that happening.

    If it's really about life for the PL side, and you really consider the fetus equal to a baby, all I have to say is this: it's not a baby's fault it's mother was raped and we would not permit a born baby's death for it. As for incest, we don't kill the offspring of incestuous relationships if they are already born. Why, if the fetus is equal to a baby, would you make that exception for abortion? And if the mother was going to die of, say, kidney failure, we still would not permit her to cannibalize one of her children for a new kidney. Why, if the mother's life is at risk from having the baby, would we permit the woman to kill the fetus to save her own life if a fetus is equal to a baby?

    Because it's not equal and pregnancy is a medical condition and it can be alleviated with no moral consequence. Ultimately, the only reason a person would force a woman to gestate if she did not want to do so is if they wanted to punish her for having sex in the first place.

  5. #185
    Professor
    WillRockwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    07-10-10 @ 09:48 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,950

    Re: Obama wins over notre dame

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Humanae Vitae - Encyclical Letter of His Holiness Paul VI on the regulation of birth, 25 July 1968

    I have yet to find where the Catholic teaching equates condom use to murder. Perhaps you can quote it for me?
    Perhaps I should have made a more obvious joke like "There are people who believe kissing causes pregnancy. Like you, they won't be persuaded by logic. "It was a facetious remark, I'm sorry you spent time trying to vet it.

  6. #186
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: Obama wins over notre dame

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post

    But to make my answer brief, I don't think that consent to sex is consent to pregnancy. Especially not in our society where sex is used to sell everything under the sun. I'm not willing to allow a young woman to be saddled with a lifetime burden just because she gave in to, or even enjoys, the same lusts that men are commended for enjoying. I'm not ok with punishing her body physically for nine months and altering her entire life permanently because she had sex. With a man. When a man's consequences become equal to that of a woman's, that attitude will change in a heartbeat. But I don't see that happening.

    I agree the burden should be shared equally. However, I disagree with your argument. Because, I see your argument as something if applied elsewhere in society, becomes rather absurd in this way.


    Sex sells, yes, so do big macs. Should we be responsible for thier obesity? To me should the unborn child be sentenced to death because mommy made an oops?

    Meaning, we have to teach responsibility. And these "Accidental pregnancies" where one or both parties accept the lack of protection, to me is still a personal responsibility issue.


    furthemore, what percent are true "Accidents" over poor decisionmaking?



    If it's really about life for the PL side, and you really consider the fetus equal to a baby, all I have to say is this: it's not a baby's fault it's mother was raped and we would not permit a born baby's death for it. As for incest, we don't kill the offspring of incestuous relationships if they are already born. Why, if the fetus is equal to a baby, would you make that exception for abortion? And if the mother was going to die of, say, kidney failure, we still would not permit her to cannibalize one of her children for a new kidney. Why, if the mother's life is at risk from having the baby, would we permit the woman to kill the fetus to save her own life if a fetus is equal to a baby?

    Personally I don't. but its where I will compromise at this time. I think we have a long way to go, to truly appreciate human life. Which is why, I posted, what I find reluctantly acceptable in a previous post.



    Because it's not equal and pregnancy is a medical condition and it can be alleviated with no moral consequence. Ultimately, the only reason a person would force a woman to gestate if she did not want to do so is if they wanted to punish her for having sex in the first place.

    I think you know my position has nothing to do with religion, and nothing to do with "punishing" a woman for having sex. I do not find the creation of new human life, a punishment.
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama wins over notre dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    I agree the burden should be shared equally. However, I disagree with your argument. Because, I see your argument as something if applied elsewhere in society, becomes rather absurd in this way.
    That's all well and good if we are discussing elsewhere in society. However, we are discussing this and so I am not concerned about elsewhere in society.

    Sex sells, yes, so do big macs. Should we be responsible for thier obesity? To me should the unborn child be sentenced to death because mommy made an oops?
    That's not the point. The point is that maybe big macs sell, but we use sex to sell those big macs. And what makes the unborn fetus that is conceived of a mistake so much more special in your eyes than the one conceived of rape or incest? Why should those unborn fetuses not be allowed to gestate because "daddy" was violent or "grandpa"?

    It becomes, not about the pweshush wittle fetus, but about punishing the woman for having an oops. I ain't buying it.

    Meaning, we have to teach responsibility. And these "Accidental pregnancies" where one or both parties accept the lack of protection, to me is still a personal responsibility issue.
    So it really isn't about the right to life. It's really about holding someone responsibile for getting a little play.

    furthemore, what percent are true "Accidents" over poor decisionmaking?
    Probably the same percentage that car accidents are over poor decision making. But we aren't forcing someone to endure injurious states of the body if they can avoid them.

    Personally I don't. but its where I will compromise at this time. I think we have a long way to go, to truly appreciate human life. Which is why, I posted, what I find reluctantly acceptable in a previous post.
    Well if I had the notion somebody was being murdered, I wouldn't compromise at playing "The Decider" with someone else's life, saying this baby has the right to live and this one doesn't. The fact that you back down on that, alone, tells me that even in your mind the fetus is not equal to a baby. And that's ok, too, because it's not.

    I think you know my position has nothing to do with religion, and nothing to do with "punishing" a woman for having sex. I do not find the creation of new human life, a punishment.
    I think everything you have suggested thus far is an indication that you are part of a society that still seeks to punish women for not being pure little virgins straight to their wedding beds. It's hard to break that mold, especially as a man when you have women like felicity who take to that attitude with alacrity and glee. But it can be done.

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Obama wins over notre dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    unless it's rape, incest, or the mothers life is in danger, she should have thought of that before going to make babies.... no?


    how can you say in one breath you "err on the side of life" but then call human life an "unwanted medical condition"?


    I am not trying to attack you. I simply do not get the reasoning here.
    What about severe birth defects, heart and brain defects, down syndrome and other medical conditions that can be diagnosed prenatally?

    How do a you feel about parents who feel unable to bring a child into the world that would mostly likely suffer from day 1?

    Edit: I think I see you maybe already answered this a few pages back. Very honestly. Thanks.
    Last edited by hazlnut; 05-19-09 at 01:23 PM.

  9. #189
    Sage
    Erod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,072

    Re: Obama wins over notre dame

    Quote Originally Posted by aaronssongs View Post
    You know, some things just become "given", after a while. He (Obama) is the freshest breath of air, in 8 whole years...but some folks are loathe to admit it, and some never will. I can accept that, with trepidation. However what they must admit is that the country, as a whole, approves of whatever it is he is doing, by wide margins (say 60-70%)...and one can argue all day about the rightness or the wrongness of it all, but the fact remains.
    I'm hot, behind Gov. Rick Perry, continuing to discuss the remote possibility of Texas seceding the Union. He needs to be in a mental institution. And has the hopes of being in the running for 2012.....talk about the visible impotency in the presence of Sarah Palin, in a GOP conference, some months back. We had one P-whipped president...we hardly need a repeat.
    Not to digress, but Kay Bailey Hutchinson, loon that she is, will beat him 'handily" in the next governor's race...if a Democrat doesn't appear to be the spoiler.


    Someone please tell Jallman, that we hardly need an Uncle Tom in the Oval Office....speaking of Colin Powell or Condi Rice. Blacks in white-face, is all they are, although Colin Powell's mea culpa is promising and hopeful, that even Republicans can "see the light".

    Which is to say you haven't an iota of historical context or policy knowledge whatsoever, and that you love that a black man is in office. We might as well have elected Pacman Jones for all you care.

  10. #190
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Obama wins over notre dame

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Just because something is legal, or ethical according to politically motivated self-interested parties, doesn't make it either moral or ethical.
    This is absolutely correct -- for instance. its impossible to argue that adultry, while legal, is not immoral.

    And if you DO make the argument that moral = legal and legal = moral, then nothing the Nazis did was immoral.

Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •