Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 102

Thread: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Most likely. Depends on the social liberalism in question. Gay marriage is not a sticking point for me. Abortion would be something of a sticking point. Drug legalization is something I support.

    What I personally would not support is anything that expands the welfare state or entitlements; those need to be trimmed and in most cases eliminated entirely. Government is a poor guarantor of security, and people need to not look to government as their protector against the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune. That's an expensive luxury no nation can afford indefinitely.

    Show me a tightwad small government type who is socially liberal and you have someone who has a fighting chance for my vote.
    Well let's see if there is a compromise here and now.

    I want a fiscally conservative candidate not only for the people, but for corporate as well. If corporates risk their capital on high risk people than they risk the fact they can't get back their capital.

    I want someone that is open to gay marriage. I had a brother that was gay and with his partner for 35 years and could not marry before he died. I will continue to fight for that.

    Abortion rights, I want a candidate that at the very least will support states rights and support someone of another state going to another state that allows abortion to be legal. I don't care if there are only two states in the U.S. that allow it I want that to be a right to go to those states that allow it.

    I want a president that will not see the American Budget and decide we can go to war because we can afford it. I want to go to war because it is right, just, and not based upon hearsay information from other governments.

    Can we agree on that?

  2. #42
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,601

    Re: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Hmm saying both were wrong is making an excuse ok. Whatever get's you hard I guess.
    Strangely enough, this is exactly what you said to me -- I said they were both wrong, yet somehow, according to you, I was making excuses.

    If you can't keep track of what you say, that's not my problem.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #43
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    There is a significant difference between short term and long term debt. It remains to be seen what president Obama will do about the debt issue. So far, 4 months into his administration, we are still in the realm of "short term".

    None of this changes the fact that president Obama said something you agree with, and you use it to start one of your handful of bitch threads for today.
    None of this changes the fact that his spending plans call for trillions of new debt this year, next year, and into the foreseeable future.

    None of this changes the fact that his LONG TERM spending plans call for debt, more debt, piled upon still more debt.

    None of this changes the fact that his deficit spending plans ARE the "unsustainable debt" of which he speaks.

    None of this changes the fact that he has as much credibility on fiscal restraint as a practicing prostitute on the virtues of celibacy.

    I do agree with what he said. I do not agree with the actions that make his commitment to what he said a shameful, disgraceful, baldfaced lie.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Strangely enough, this is exactly what you said to me -- I said they were both wrong, yet somehow, according to you, I was making excuses.

    If you can't keep track of what you say, that's not my problem.
    No you were trying to say OBama is much worse. Given what he inherited compared to Bush, I don't think it is worse. I think is is the same. If Obama had inherited the same as Bush it would have been less.

    you want it to be worse. Sorry I disagree.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Well let's see if there is a compromise here and now.

    I want a fiscally conservative candidate not only for the people, but for corporate as well. If corporates risk their capital on high risk people than they risk the fact they can't get back their capital.

    I want someone that is open to gay marriage. I had a brother that was gay and with his partner for 35 years and could not marry before he died. I will continue to fight for that.

    Abortion rights, I want a candidate that at the very least will support states rights and support someone of another state going to another state that allows abortion to be legal. I don't care if there are only two states in the U.S. that allow it I want that to be a right to go to those states that allow it.

    I want a president that will not see the American Budget and decide we can go to war because we can afford it. I want to go to war because it is right, just, and not based upon hearsay information from other governments.

    Can we agree on that?
    Potentially. Final call would come down to the actual candidates themselves, but I would not be distressed if such a candidate was the best in the field.

  6. #46
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    None of this changes the fact that his spending plans call for trillions of new debt this year, next year, and into the foreseeable future.

    None of this changes the fact that his LONG TERM spending plans call for debt, more debt, piled upon still more debt.

    None of this changes the fact that his deficit spending plans ARE the "unsustainable debt" of which he speaks.

    None of this changes the fact that he has as much credibility on fiscal restraint as a practicing prostitute on the virtues of celibacy.

    I do agree with what he said. I do not agree with the actions that make his commitment to what he said a shameful, disgraceful, baldfaced lie.
    Then let him show how he is going to change things. Less than four months in office, with 2 wars, an economic meltdown, and all that is involved in learning the job. I absolutely agree that bringing down the debt is a key item that needs to be done. I have been saying that since President Reagan was in office. So far the debt has gone up under every president I believe, and I have been disappointed. I might be disappointed this time, but I am at least going to wait and see if Obama proposes a fix, and what that fix is, before I get upset.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Potentially. Final call would come down to the actual candidates themselves, but I would not be distressed if such a candidate was the best in the field.
    Ok I posted your comments I'm curious about in bold. What is the game breaker positions for a candidate to get your vote. I've postd mine, what are yours?

  8. #48
    Advisor Keorythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    08-05-14 @ 03:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    440

    Re: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Irresponsible spending is irresponsible no matter the amount or person.

    Bush did it getting us into Iraq and now Obama did it with the bailouts. Both are wrong.

    However, in 2004 Republicans CHOSE irresponsible spending.
    6 years with Republican majority, 2 years Democrat majority, 2 wars, 1 major natural disaster, and 1 Democrat housing law to get us into this kind of debt vs. 6 weeks to double the amount of spending and that doesn't count Bush taking the fall for Obama when he asked him if Obama wanted him to sign off on the second half of the TARP money in his last weeks.

    The 2007 - 2009 Democrats CHOSE to spend not only the extra TARP cash that Bush handed him without media emo-rage (the later bailouts far surpassed that) but to also initiate MASSIVE healthcare and energy spending plans as well as other pork projects during a recession. Lets not forget that Afghanistan is the "good" war which Obama has repeated campaigned in favor of continuing. Now he's stuck with it as Iraq (a victory) is winding down.
    Freedom is... never more than one generation away from extinction. Every generation has to learn how to protect and defend it, or it’s gone and gone for a long, long time- Ronald Reagan

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

    Quote Originally Posted by Keorythe View Post
    6 years with Republican majority, 2 years Democrat majority, 2 wars, 1 major natural disaster, and 1 Democrat housing law to get us into this kind of debt vs. 6 weeks to double the amount of spending and that doesn't count Bush taking the fall for Obama when he asked him if Obama wanted him to sign off on the second half of the TARP money in his last weeks.

    The 2007 - 2009 Democrats CHOSE to spend not only the extra TARP cash that Bush handed him without media emo-rage (the later bailouts far surpassed that) but to also initiate MASSIVE healthcare and energy spending plans as well as other pork projects during a recession. Lets not forget that Afghanistan is the "good" war which Obama has repeated campaigned in favor of continuing. Now he's stuck with it as Iraq (a victory) is winding down.
    All spending is done in good name to what the powers that be want. It doesn't make it right and it doesn't make either side innocent.

    It sounds like you are trying to make excuses for the Bush team, is that so? I'm not, both sides are at fault. Each side that abuses the dorr, opens it further. Obama opened it further than Bush, Bush opened it further than Clinton, Clinton opened it further than Bush Sneior, Bush Senior opened it further than Regan, the list goes on and on.

    Irresponsible spending is irresponsible no matter the amount, it seems you are trying to excuse the spending of Bush Junior because it was smaller.

  10. #50
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Says U.S. Long-Term Debt Load ‘Unsustainable’

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Ok I posted your comments I'm curious about in bold. What is the game breaker positions for a candidate to get your vote. I've postd mine, what are yours?
    Game breakers?

    Fiscally, they have to commit to a balanced budget every year. No more ticky tack BS about balancing it in the future.

    Socially, they have to end this insane war on drugs. A fiscally conservative candidate who is anti-drug legalization will not get my vote unless he's the only fiscally conservative candidate out there.

    Gay marriage is one where I tend to split the baby: I want government to get the hell out of marriage regulation entirely. Someone who wants to eliminate marriage licenses gets my vote over someone who merely endorses gay marriage. Civil unions for all, in other words. However, that's pretty much at the bottom of the list on issues I'm going to care about.

    On abortion, I want to see two things: 1) overturn that legal abomination known as Roe v Wade. That stands as the most badly decided Supreme Court case since Dred Scott v Sanford, and it's an embarrassment to jurisprudence. 2) A resolution attaching personhood at conception, so that abortion is recognized as the willful termination of human life. Let the argument proceed from there as to whether the practice should be sustained or not. However, abortion is a show stopper only if the candidate wants to continue the practice country wide by sustaining Roe v Wade.

    I'm pretty much in agreement with you about wars. They're a bloody business and should be fought sparingly--although I have a hard time figuring Bush was anything worse than premature on Iraq. It needed to be done, but he could have waited another year to do it.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •