Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66

Thread: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

  1. #11
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    To begin with, Congress stripping the funding for closing Gitmo.

    Not to mention the drip,drip,drip of revelations about Pelosi.

    Or the fact that he's compromised the morale of the CIA.

    Or the fact that he's not been able to discuss much else of late. The torture debate is hogging the airwaves everywhere.

    Or the fact that he and Holder both have had to come out and say specifically there will be no prosecutions.

    Against those negatives, what has he gained? What policy point has he advanced that he did not already advance by ordering a prohibition on waterboarding in the future? What political advantage over the Republicans has he gained? From all that I have seen in the media, I can't see where the Republicans are exactly on the defensive about this.

    Dear Leader has spent more political capital than he realizes, and has less to show for it than for the amount spent strong-arming his porkulus bill through Congress--in fact, he has nothing to show for it. In political terms, that's a disaster.
    I think President Obama would like to kick congress squarely in the head sometimes. Obama does not control congress, and they are, at times, acting the idiot when it comes to this. For the most part though, I think except in the eyes of the hyper-partisan right, only congress is really looking bad from all this. In fact, since Obama has done what I think most agree is the right thing and said no prosecutions, he looks good, congress looks bad.

    S far as what he has gained, I suspect Obama does have a long term strategy, and it is way too early to see what it is or if it is working. One of the big problems with you guys on the far far right and your multiple daily whine threads about Obama is that it is too early for anything Obama has done to do any good. Will any good come of this? Well, I dunno, the process is just starting. I prefer to throw my hissy fits once things fail, not pre-emptively like you all have been doing.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    08-27-09 @ 08:41 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,344

    Re: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I think President Obama would like to kick congress squarely in the head sometimes. Obama does not control congress, and they are, at times, acting the idiot when it comes to this. For the most part though, I think except in the eyes of the hyper-partisan right, only congress is really looking bad from all this. In fact, since Obama has done what I think most agree is the right thing and said no prosecutions, he looks good, congress looks bad.
    Agreed that he personally doesn't take it in the shorts the way the Anti-Republicans in Congress do, but, as Jimmy Carter found out, there is a steep price to be paid when you piss off Congress.

    Releasing the memos that set off this firestorm was a politically stupid and possibly a politically suicidal move. If he had clammed up then the way he is now, this story would be in yesterday's news cycle instead of remaining in today's.

  3. #13
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

    I still have no idea what Cheney wishes to gain from this.

    If he wants to pick a fight with the Obama administration then be my guest., but he better be sure to drop that G.O.P status, as I think it will do nothing but further tarnish Republicans. Cheney does not have the best record to begin with.
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  4. #14
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

    Quote Originally Posted by celticlord View Post
    Agreed that he personally doesn't take it in the shorts the way the Anti-Republicans in Congress do, but, as Jimmy Carter found out, there is a steep price to be paid when you piss off Congress.

    Releasing the memos that set off this firestorm was a politically stupid and possibly a politically suicidal move. If he had clammed up then the way he is now, this story would be in yesterday's news cycle instead of remaining in today's.
    So far this has been neither stupid nor suicidal. Whether it pans out that way, only time will tell. Starting 4 threads a day complaining about this topic won't make it either stupid nor suicidal.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    07-18-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

    So what we have is a "senior Bush administration official", who could be any one, and is probably biased, saying that there is a problem here. If the files are the subject of a lawsuit, then this could be very legitimate. A "senior Bush administration official" saying otherwise is pretty meaningless without more to back him up.

    Make believe the Bush administration official is one of the ones you guys highlight because he says what you want to hear then.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

    Quote Originally Posted by WillRockwell View Post
    You really ought to lay off the Kool-Aid....the VAST majority of Americans are against torture under any circumstances, and Dick Cheney's popularity rating is almost as low as yours. Did you not hear the professional interrogator say that detainees talked UNTIL they were tortured and then clammed up? Bring on Cheney's memo's, I can't wait to see them, and hear your revised excuse once they are proved worthless.
    No.

    AMERICANS support doing whatever is necessary to get enemies who aren't covered by the GC to spill their guts concerning their plans.

    You see, AMERICANS aren't overly concerned with the long-term viability of any particular terrorists we have in custody, once we've drained them of what we want from them, they should be out on the curb in time for the next garbage truck or pig farm.

    What documents are being withheld? Aren't they the documents that will show WHAT proper interrogation of these animals has revealed and how that information has been used to protect the lives of US citizens?

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    No.

    AMERICANS support doing whatever is necessary to get enemies who aren't covered by the GC to spill their guts concerning their plans.

    You see, AMERICANS aren't overly concerned with the long-term viability of any particular terrorists we have in custody, once we've drained them of what we want from them, they should be out on the curb in time for the next garbage truck or pig farm.

    What documents are being withheld? Aren't they the documents that will show WHAT proper interrogation of these animals has revealed and how that information has been used to protect the lives of US citizens?
    Show Americans what is REALLY going on and your support goes in the drains.

  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,326
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

    Quote Originally Posted by Triad View Post
    Make believe the Bush administration official is one of the ones you guys highlight because he says what you want to hear then.
    Huh? Some one from the past administration is commenting on something happening when he is no longer in power. Of course I question what he says. he is offering his opinion on something he at best is not current on, and since we do not know who this official is, may have no actual information on.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Seen
    07-18-09 @ 04:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

    Ah yes..BUT few sentences on documents released by Obama is all the proof you needed that the acts "brought no results of merit"

    Despite the counter claims by the former VP, CIA officials both past and present, and even Leon Panetta the current CIA director.


    Do you even have a problem with the administration after blocking these documents telling you there nothing in them that substantiates anything Cheney says?
    That is in essence doing the same thing they did with the initial memo release.
    Last edited by Triad; 05-14-09 at 10:12 PM.

  10. #20
    Student
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Last Seen
    09-10-09 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    166

    Re: Obama Administration to Cheney: Request Denied

    Who cares if it works, its illegal that is what he is failing to understand. I for one am all for releasing as much information as possible, for the prosecution of any official that had involvement in or were made aware of such crimes.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •