Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

  1. #1
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Computer chipmaker Intel has been fined a record 1.06bn euros ($1.45bn; £948m) by the European Commission for anti-competitive practices.

    It dwarfs the 497m euro fine levied on Microsoft in 2004 for abusing its dominant market position.
    BBC NEWS | Business | EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Anyone else think the EU Folks have a clue about business? I'm beginning to think they do not.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #2
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    BBC NEWS | Business | EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Anyone else think the EU Folks have a clue about business? I'm beginning to think they do not.
    So you are all for near monopolies abusing their position to hurt the only opposition they have? I guess you would also be against breaking up Standard oil and AT&T then. Are you sir a communist since you advocate monopolies?

    Intel abused its market position by putting huge pressure on sellers and retailers not to stock its competitors products.... if that is not abuse of its market position, then well..
    PeteEU

  3. #3
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So you are all for near monopolies abusing their position to hurt the only opposition they have? I guess you would also be against breaking up Standard oil and AT&T then. Are you sir a communist since you advocate monopolies?

    Intel abused its market position by putting huge pressure on sellers and retailers not to stock its competitors products.... if that is not abuse of its market position, then well..
    What do Standard Oil, AT&T and Intel have in common?

    None of them were monopolies, but the government treated them as such.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  4. #4
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So you are all for near monopolies abusing their position to hurt the only opposition they have? I guess you would also be against breaking up Standard oil and AT&T then. Are you sir a communist since you advocate monopolies?

    Intel abused its market position by putting huge pressure on sellers and retailers not to stock its competitors products.... if that is not abuse of its market position, then well..
    No, it played the market and pushed it's superior product aggressively. I knew that the idea of competition was becoming alien to Europeans, but this really highlights why the EU is falling further down in competitiveness. If you don't give your competitors the advantage, you're screwed.

    No wonder Eurasia is your future, you guys gave up and are complacent.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    So you are all for near monopolies abusing their position to hurt the only opposition they have? I guess you would also be against breaking up Standard oil and AT&T then. Are you sir a communist since you advocate monopolies?

    Intel abused its market position by putting huge pressure on sellers and retailers not to stock its competitors products.... if that is not abuse of its market position, then well..
    I see that you have difficulty with facts and what the definition of monopoly is again? Please share with me which of the following conditions apply to Intel:

    Main Entry: monopoly mu-!n@-p(u-)lE
    Pronunciation: \ mə-ˈnä-p(ə-)lē \
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural mo·nop·o·lies,
    Etymology: Latin monopolium, from Greek monopōlion, from mon- + pōlein to sell
    Date: 1534
    Results

    1. exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply, or concerted action

    2. exclusive possession or control

    3. a commodity controlled by one party

    4. one that has a monopoly

  6. #6
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I see that you have difficulty with facts and what the definition of monopoly is again? Please share with me which of the following conditions apply to Intel:

    Main Entry: monopoly mu-!n@-p(u-)lE
    Pronunciation: \ mə-ˈnä-p(ə-)lē \
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural mo·nop·o·lies,
    Etymology: Latin monopolium, from Greek monopōlion, from mon- + pōlein to sell
    Date: 1534
    Results

    1. exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply, or concerted action

    2. exclusive possession or control

    3. a commodity controlled by one party

    4. one that has a monopoly
    You forgot one:

    5. a Board game from Milton Bradly played by evil rich kids.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ventura California
    Last Seen
    11-15-11 @ 11:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,706

    Re: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    BBC NEWS | Business | EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Anyone else think the EU Folks have a clue about business? I'm beginning to think they do not.
    What is most laughable about this asinine decision that can only be enacted by empty headed Socialists in an effort to chase businesses away from the EU is that the COSTS of computers have consistently dropped to levels unheard of 20 years ago.

    I paid about $1,500 in about 1986 for an IBM PC with 640K and 20M hard drive and a color monitor and thought I was on the cutting edge at the time. Today I can buy a computer that more resembles a super computer than the PC of yesterday with 2 gigs internal memory, 200 gig hard drive and operation speeds of 2 gigahertz for about $450.00.

    The nerve of those damned American Manufacturers to actually make the costs of products CHEAPER for the people of Europe!!

    My belief is that the EU will eventually implode from the weight of its own asinine regulations and its asinine leadership who continue to prove that common sense is practically non-existent with Socialists.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    You forgot one:

    5. a Board game from Milton Bradly played by evil rich kids.
    Thats a good one Vich.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #9
    Norville Rogers
    Kernel Sanders's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 10:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,730

    Re: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    BBC NEWS | Business | EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Anyone else think the EU Folks have a clue about business? I'm beginning to think they do not.
    I'm curious to know if you know anything about the case. I've followed it lightly for a few years now Intel clearly abused their market position, and through the course of various investigations (in Germany, Japan, New York, Delaware, and the US at large to name a few other than the EU) has been caught destroying evidence more than once. I'd expect almost every case against Intel to succeed eventually, the EU is just the first to reach a decision.
    Last edited by Kernel Sanders; 05-13-09 at 04:04 PM.

  10. #10
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: EU slaps a record fine on Intel

    Quote Originally Posted by Kernel Sanders View Post
    I'm curious to know if you know anything about the case. I've followed it lightly for a few years now Intel clearly abused their market position, and through the course of various investigations (in Germany, Japan, New York, Delaware, and the US at large to name a few other than the EU) has been caught destroying evidence more than once. I'd expect almost every case against Intel to succeed eventually, the EU is just the first to reach a decision.
    I admit I didn't read the article but I was just correcting Pete's use of the word monopoly.

    It seems Intel was doing similar things that Microsoft has done.

    I'm an AMD guy anyway.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •